Snorkeling in Ocho Rios?

Memphis2007

We are going to Ocho Rios in 4 days and have booked a Sanara sail (snorkel, see dunns rover, and tour around on a catamaran boat) and when it is finished, we were hoping to be able to snorkel!

We have seen youtube videos of the Peir in OR. Theres a MargaritaVille near the port, and a smaller cove type beach to the right of Margaritaville. Is this the only beach around? We could not see any others...

We are looking for a SAFE beach, with a good amount of people in the water (I will only go in water if its with a lot of people, I have a HUGE shark phobia, dont ask lol), and we would love to see fish, corals, or something.

So does anyone know of any local beaches near the pier that are safe, have lockers to lock up our valubles, somewhere where we can snorkel and see marine life? Names, and pictures would be awesome if possible :)

Thanks so much!

Memphis

Anyone? :)

Ocho is not known for its snokeling or diving so no, you probably won't get a recommendation. The very new snorkeler sometimes finds what was very cool to them, but experienced divers stay away.

I base this comment on many days diving around Ocho.... my work put me there for R&R many times and I dove for something to do. But the area was SO overfished for years that there's little left so I dove just to kill a few hours underwater....very hohum diving. Even tho I did Scuba....I never tried to snorkel around Ocho.

The entire bay to the east of the pier is a public beach and as 'protected' as any....the entire port is what mariners call an open roadstead. You can snorkel there but I doubt you'll see much other then sand and some small fish.

Maybe you should just seek out some Jamacian 'jerk' and a Red Stripe or 2...that's what I do when we visit via a cruise. DRF then the Jerk Center and ....well, I prefer Dragon Stout to Red Stripe but DS is an aquired taste :eek:

Sorry I can't give you a hint towards what ur lookin for

Archived