NCL or PRINCESS

cruizinmama

We are planning a family cruise for this Nov/Dec. It will be myself,DH,2DS & Grandparent's.

Ruby Princess-New ship,Been on Grand Princess and liked it(not to thrilled of the layout of the ship though),LOVE anytime dinning,Itinerary is the one I like better.

NCL PEARL-Never been on NCL but would like to try,LOVE anytime time dinning,Bowling alley(my sons would LOVE),Itinerary is fine

If you've been on NCL & Princess is one line better then the other?

Thanks

Though I haven't been on those specific ships, in general there tend to be more families on NCL than Princess except during the busier school holiday periods. Princess tends to attract an older crowd (55+), while NCL tends to attract a wider age range.

Search around the Internet to see if you can find the recent daily activity sheets for each ship and that might give you a better idea of which ship sounds like it would be more suited to your family's tastes. Princess' are called Patter and NCL's are called Freestyle Daily.

I've been on both (Star Princess and NCL Pride of Hawaii) and I loved them both.

The one difference I did find was that I thought that the service on Princess was a little more professional. On the NCL one we found a lot of the waitstaff were not as professional (some were goofing off, etc.). But it was nothing major at all and it would not deter us from going on NCL again.

If you like the idea of not packing formal wear, then you might want to give NCL a try!!

We are planning a family cruise for this Nov/Dec. It will be myself,DH,2DS & Grandparent's.

Ruby Princess-New ship,Been on Grand Princess and liked it(not to thrilled of the layout of the ship though),LOVE anytime dinning,Itinerary is the one I like better.

NCL PEARL-Never been on NCL but would like to try,LOVE anytime time dinning,Bowling alley(my sons would LOVE),Itinerary is fine

If you've been on NCL & Princess is one line better then the other?

Thanks

We have sailed both Princess (1 booked for May 08) and NCL (Pearl Last August 07) and enjoyed both lines. We find them much more similar than different.

We do, however, prefer NCL for the huge variety of dining options and the Pearl is a great ship. Princess has an 'anytime' dining programme but there is usually only 1 venue + the buffet. The Pearl has 5 free 'anytime' dining venues all serving different food + the buffet together with another 6 fee paying options. We also like the less formal approach of NCL.

I'm sure you will love whichever line you finally decide to go with ......Good luck.

I've been on both (Star Princess and NCL Pride of Hawaii) and I loved them both.

The one difference I did find was that I thought that the service on Princess was a little more professional. On the NCL one we found a lot of the waitstaff were not as professional (some were goofing off, etc.). But it was nothing major at all and it would not deter us from going on NCL again.

That is definitely true for NCL's Hawaiian itineraries since they are mostly an American crew (by law). The other ships have service comparable to the other lines in a similar price range.

We have sailed both Princess (1 booked for May 08) and NCL (Pearl Last August 07) and enjoyed both lines. We find them much more similar than different.

We do, however, prefer NCL for the huge variety of dining options and the Pearl is a great ship. Princess has an 'anytime' dining programme but there is usually only 1 venue + the buffet. The Pearl has 5 free 'anytime' dining venues all serving different food + the buffet together with another 6 fee paying options. We also like the less formal approach of NCL.

I'm sure you will love whichever line you finally decide to go with ......Good luck.

After reading NCL has 5 anytime dining choices that makes me lean towards NCL. What is the dress code for the 5 anytime restaurants?I don't mind getting dressed up but w/boys ages 9 & 10 I don't know. And going to the buffet is fine a couple times but if you have more to choose from thats better.On Formal night,does any of the 5 anytime restaurants offer non formal dress code?

Thanks for all the help

• Administrators
After reading NCL has 5 anytime dining choices that makes me lean towards NCL. What is the dress code for the 5 anytime restaurants?I don't mind getting dressed up but w/boys ages 9 & 10 I don't know. And going to the buffet is fine a couple times but if you have more to choose from thats better.On Formal night,does any of the 5 anytime restaurants offer non formal dress code?

Thanks for all the help

Oh, based on those questions, you'll love this answer -- NCL's only "dress code" is that resort casual is appropriate in EVERY restaurant EVERY night. Khakis, a polo shirt, and you're good. Even jeans are ALSO okay in every restaurant except one of the two main dining rooms every night. There IS no "formal night." They have a "dress up if you wish" night but it's completely optional. Certainly some folks choose to dress up for photos or what not, but you will not be out of place by not doing so.

The one difference I did find was that I thought that the service on Princess was a little more professional. On the NCL one we found a lot of the waitstaff were not as professional (some were goofing off, etc.).

I sort of agree with Ilovetinks....my experience with NCL has kept me from cruising with them again:eek:.

I Certainly am not telling you not to try NCL, but I feel you are doing a family reunion, I think Princess maybe better. They have the choice of the anytime dining (but if sitting together at dinner is a priority) you also may want the choice of traditional dining. I feel that the ship has a bit to do with how much I enjoy myself (especially on sea days) but to me the Itinerary is more important....since you say you prefer Princess' itinerary I would choose Princess.....But thats just me!:D

Andy

My vote is for Princess, my favorite. Have not liked what I have heard from those who have cruised NCL so won't try them, no need to. Also I am not fond of anytime dining and I like smart dress for dinner, JMO

My vote is for Princess, my favorite. Have not liked what I have heard from those who have cruised NCL so won't try them, no need to. Also I am not fond of anytime dining and I like smart dress for dinner, JMO

If everyone on this board went by these words "Have not liked what I have heard about "insert cruise line" so won't try them" who would be left to cruise? Your nose is too far up in the air to smell the roses. You are only inhaling smog.

Gotta love those who have never experienced it for themselves, but criticize.

• Administrators
Gotta love those who have never experienced it for themselves, but criticize.

Not only that, but some then go so far as to give others advice based on what they've "heard." :rolleyes: Additionally, the original post expressly said the OP loves anytime dining, and her follow up post expressed a strong interest in not having to dress up every night! So saying "I'd advise you sail Princess; I've heard bad stuff about NCL and plus I don't like anytime dining and I like dressing up" is singularly unhelpful to the OP.

Though I haven't been on those specific ships, in general there tend to be more families on NCL than Princess except during the busier school holiday periods. Princess tends to attract an older crowd (55+), while NCL tends to attract a wider age range..

Not sure where you got your info that Princess attracts a crowd 55+....

We cruised Princess when we were late 30s/early 40s, and felt the crowd generally ranged from mid 30s-mid 50s for the most part. Though we had 2 newlywed couples at our table, one in 20s, one early 30s. There were only one group of 20something girls, and one of guys that we saw. A few children.

On our March Princess cruise there were MANY MANY 20somethings. Spring Break...DH enjoyed the views.:rolleyes: More children as well.

I have read these threads daily for 4 years...cruised 2 Princess cruises...between personal experience and perceptions on these boards, I don't think one could generalize Princess is for the over 55 crowd....(HAL maybe...they have an onboard morgue!)

Oh, based on those questions, you'll love this answer -- NCL's only "dress code" is that resort casual is appropriate in EVERY restaurant EVERY night. Khakis, a polo shirt, and you're good. Even jeans are ALSO okay in every restaurant except one of the two main dining rooms every night. There IS no "formal night." They have a "dress up if you wish" night but it's completely optional. Certainly some folks choose to dress up for photos or what not, but you will not be out of place by not doing so.

Actually, you will find that one every major cruise line that a polo and khakis is perfectly fine dining apparal any night of the week...even formal night.

Our boys wore khakis and tropical shirts on formal night on Disney; khaki shorts/polos on casual nights. I have seen children dressed similarly on Princess.

My folks have cruised NCL a few times and Princess once (in addition to RCI & Celebrity). NCL continues to be the distant fourth. Doesn't keep them from cruising if the price/itinerary are right, but they do not feel that the service, food, etc. are up to par with the other 3. THat being said, the time of year you are looking at you will likely find very few children on Princess (unless over Thanksgiving or Xmas break). I would imagine by the nature or NCL you would be more likely to find more children on the ship.

I was on the NCL Jewel in Dec. '05 and on the Caribbean Princess in Aug. '06 and I very much preferred the Caribbean Princess over the NCL Jewel. I have booked an Alaska cruise on the Golden Princess in July. I am very strongly considering booking the Dec. 6 '08 Ruby Princess cruise and the Dec. 27 '08 RCCL Liberty of the Seas cruise. I am not loyal to any cruise line, I have enjoyed every cruise that I have been on. So far my favorite is Celebrity, my least favorite is NCL.

I found NCL Jewel so chopped up because of the 10-11 resturants. Not many windows or light coming in throughout the ship. The choice of eating venues was nice.

I like the Carribean Princess ship layout much better. Seemed more bright and airy. Most but not all of thier balconies are not private, as you can see directly down on to them. They are layer like steps.

I am a big fan of "Anytime" or "FreeStyle" dining. I have never had a cruise I did not enjoy. I have always found a variety of good food and have never gone hungry.

Not sure where you got your info that Princess attracts a crowd 55+....

I could have been overgeneralizing, but my info came from good friends of my mom's who have cruised with Princess at least once a year for the past several years, both for Caribbean and West Coast itineraries, as well as posts here on CC from people whose opinion I usually trust. It probably depends a great deal on what time of year you're cruising and which itinerary.

And, no, it's not overgeneralizing to say HAL leans toward the senior crowd :D

We do, however, prefer NCL for the huge variety of dining options and the Pearl is a great ship. Princess has an 'anytime' dining programme but there is usually only 1 venue + the buffet.

This may be true of some of the older ships but it is not correct when talking about newer ships in the Princess fleet. We were just on the Diamond Princess and for Anytime Dining we had a choice of three dining rooms, Savoy, Pacific Moon and Santa Fe. This was actually more choices for regular dining options than we had on the NCL Star where there were only two dining rooms to choose from, Versaille or Aqua. All the other dining areas charged an extra fee. Additionally, each of the Princess dining rooms offered a special dish unique to that dining room in addition to the regular menu for that evening. On NCL the two non-fee dining rooms only offered the regular menu.

The Diamond Princess also offered two additional fee dining areas - Sabatinis and Sterling Steak House.

Archived