weird snorkel question

lowerdegrl

I'm right there with you! Blind as a bat without my glasses! I've never seen one that would fit over your glasses. They make prescription masks. I was able to rent a mask with enough correction to make everything visible years ago on St. John and it was such a miracle that after that went out and bought one for my prescription. I've been using it for 10 years or so, and it was the best investment ever! Might want to email the ship coordinator and see if NCL rents them, or if you have time, check your local dive shop. Good luck! It's WAYYYYYYYY better to have a mask that corrects for your vision!

SteveO.

The thing about snorkeling at Great Stirrup Cay, is that it is free for anyone who brings their own gear. The snorkeling "tour" for $29 offered by the ship is simply the rental of the gear. We bought our own gear at Sams Club for $40 and used it in Roatan as well, so it paid for itself.

As far as glasses are concerned, I don't think they will work. You may have to do it without or go with contacts. At GSC, there isn't much coral, it's mostly rocks and sand. The cool part about snorkeling at GSC is the deep blue water and the yellow fish that swim up to you. The fish come pretty close to you, so you may not even need glasses to see them.

I had the same worries. On the first few snorkeling trips I was lucky and they had some prescription masks I could borrow. To my surprise, the first time I went in with just my plain mask, it was just about like having my glasses on (and I don't do well without my glasses). I don't even notice it anymore.

my DH, before he had the eye surgery, could see just fine with his mask. the water magnifies everything. he could see better then i did, using my contacts with the mask. i tried it without the contacts, when i was afraid of losing them, i could see and manage....but as bad as my eyesight is, much better with the contacts. and,no, you don't have to be afraid of losing them..as long as the mask fits well.

Glad to hear they have perscription masks. I can't see a thing without my glasses. I was considerng going with contacts, but I'm afraid the water might come into the mask and get caught behind the lens or something and be really uncomfortable.

I love to snorkel and finally got myself an Rx mask. It was pricey but so worth it. Used it for the first time in Turks and Caicos a couple weeks ago. I definitely suggest getting one if you are a regular snorkeler.

Like the other posters mentioned, water is a natural magnifier so if you are just near or far sighted (whichever is the one where you can't see far away) then you shouldn't have a problem snorkeling. And if they offer the masks with more magnification, that would be a plus.

If, however, you have an astigmatism, your vision will not be corrected just with magnification. If your vision is blurry without your glasses then your vision under the water will be blurry.

True prescription lenses are pricey, but worth it if you don't wear glasses, have a moderate to major astigmatism, and plan to snorkel often!

Jan

Thank you all for your advice, i have a feeling that it might still be a little blury for me but hey that is what underwater cameras are for. if i cant see it clear right away when i get home i will have some surprise pictures for myself heheheh:)

If your eyes are as bad as mine (-8.00) you'll really appreciate corrective lenses and they're seldom available on the dive boats. Your vision will be somewhat better underwater, but really bad eyes will still be bad. If you continue to snorkel a mask with corrective lenses will be a good investment. They're available on the internet.

Thank you all for your advice, i have a feeling that it might still be a little blury for me but hey that is what underwater cameras are for. if i cant see it clear right away when i get home i will have some surprise pictures for myself heheheh:)

What's your prescription?

Mine is -3.50 and I wear contacts. But I have snorkelled and scuba-dived using plain mask without contacts and I could see just fine.

BTW, I go into sea to swim and snorkel with contacts on - I just close eyes when I go underwater without mask.

What's your prescription?

Mine is -3.50 and I wear contacts. But I have snorkelled and scuba-dived using plain mask without contacts and I could see just fine.

BTW, I go into sea to swim and snorkel with contacts on - I just close eyes when I go underwater without mask.

I'm at -5, I don't think I'll see much without some sort of correction. This might seem like an odd question, but when you wear contacts with the mask, the suction doesn't pull your contacts out?

Years ago when we bought a boat for water-skiing it seemed prudent to go to daily disposable contact lenses and we have never looked back! If one washes out which has happened then no problem. Work wonderful for snorkeling too. A little more expensive but less solution use, etc. Maybe you could get a month's worth for temporary vacation use?

I'm at -5, I don't think I'll see much without some sort of correction. This might seem like an odd question, but when you wear contacts with the mask, the suction doesn't pull your contacts out?

:eek: Would it?? No, the contact lenses stay firmly into your eyes! Even at 30ft!

i am a -7, one time i didn't use the contacts (afraid of losing them) and still saw most of the stuff. much clearer then on land...

it's like when you look at a fish tank...the water and the glass make things look bigger then they are.

after i got some disposables, i use them. no problems. just have to make sure to clear the mask to keep the salt water out. once i get a good seal, i don't touch the mask...last time it stayed dry the whole time i was in the water.

Archived