N809N - Review (start of it anyway!)

LouLou28

Ok ... haven't been as well prepared as Jo - nor as pretty as her website.

Here's the brief 'overview' of our 12 night cruise ... more to come as I get to it (amongst the washing, shopping, swaying, etc, etc etc!)

This was our second cruise (having sailed on the Pacific Star for the Week Fantastique at the end of January 2007). This time there were ourselves (my, husband and two children – son aged 10 and daughter aged 7 – and 11&3/4 months!!!!).

Also along this time was my sister, her husband and their two teenagers (daughter 18 and son 16). This was their first cruise – having decided to come with us as we had raved so much about how good our first one was! (There was quite a bit of pressure on us that this cruise would live up to their expectations!!!!!)

12 night – was a great length. Feels like we’ve been gone for a month!

6 ports – only 2 were repeats for us.

Ports – Noumea, Isle of Pines, Suva, Savusavu, Vila & Champagne Bay. We loved Champagne Bay … a real tropical island experience.

Best Shore Tour had to be Naililili Village in Suva …. What a great experience.

Cabins were U66 (us) and U68 – which were in a great position. Near the lifts, but you didn’t hear the lifts bonging too much – and there was only one group of passengers that seemed to insist on talking loudly and laughing as they returned to their cabins in the wee hours of the morning. But to their credit, they only went past once, and you never heard from them again.

We were also close to the laundry on Upper deck – which was handy to keep track of when there were machines free.

Weather – we were sooooo lucky with the weather. Every port was sunny and fine (a shower some afternoons perhaps). Hot and sultry as you would fully expect at this time of the year!

Seas – a little rough going over – but not the 4m swells we experienced last time. Our nephew suffered from sea sickness for half a day, but came good with the medication his mother had brought with her.

Again – some well coming back on the final two sea days --- and it was me that suffered sea-sickness (for the first and PLEASE the last time) --- actually it wasn’t too bad, was only sick once and it lasted from about 10:30am until mid-afternoon (did make it to Bingo, so must have been getting better by then!)

Entertainment – shows were good … didn’t go to them all. The first night was a ‘taster’ for the remainder of the cruise … and wasn’t that impressive really! Guest entertainers were …. So so!?!?!

Food – as expected. Good quality, plenty of it, good service.

When do we go again …. Need to book something soon …. Need another countdown! We’re still considering 21 days Sydney, Melbourne, Tasmania and NZ … but may need to wait until 2009. So will be eagerly awaiting the new season when it’s published!

I’ll fill in the gaps when I do a more thorough review! But all in all a great time was had by all!

"Hooked" isn't strong enough to describe my sister's reaction to cruising!!! I thought we were going to have to carry her kicking and screaming off the ship yesterday morning!

My husband was worried that I would fall into the deep depressions on the last few days .... but she was much worse than he even imagined I could be (I wasn't too depressed .... more about having to return to work than coming home!).

So ... yes! She (and the rest of the family) enjoyed themselves!

Keep the review coming Linda! Although we were on the same cruise i'm looking forward to reading how each of us enjoyed the experience, as we all did different things.

Glad to hear you and your family enjoyed it!

As I type this I feel like we're still riding some of those final 2 day's waves! The sway certainly has no intention of leaving my in a hurry this time! :D:p

I've been popping Phernerghan since we came home! Not doing too bad (must be due for another dose though as I'm starting to get the sways up! ... could be the two glasses of wine I've had too of course :p:p)

Archived