1st Time W/ 2 Young Kids on Disney Wonder 20 Days!!

MIMomof2

Thanks to everyone for all the great info... these boards are fantastic!

We are first-timers cruising with our 5 yr old DD and 19 month old DS in 20 days on the 4-night Disney Wonder! :D GREAT ideas for the going away gifts - I will definitely be doing this! Can anyone help me answer the following or point out any tips I might be missing??

1. My 5 yo DD wants to get her hair braided... is this done on the ship for a reasonable price? Do you make a reservation for it (where)?

2. We are currently waitlisted for the early dinner seating. I've called Disney and because we booked thru a travel agent, was told we had to go thru them to change. Contacted them, but not sure if they really looked into it or not. What's the chance of me changing this on board?? Our kids usually eat at 5:30 NOT 8!! I know we can eat at the snack shops, but I want my family to be able to experience the restaurants.

3. Can my DH and I attend some of the Kids Club programs with our DD? Any activities that are an absolute do not miss?

4. Is whole milk available on board?

5. My DD gets car sick quite easily... will she be suseptible to seasickness?

6. Since the cruise is two weeks after our 8 yr anniversary, I am considering splurging on a couple's massage on board ship (sounds like this also includes a private veranda w/ hot tub). Can anyone recommend this??

7. LOVE the ideas for the cruise goodies for kids like sand pail, bubbles, snacks, water camera, etc! Has anyone added dress-up items for the pirate party? Any suggestions?

8. What to pack?? I have the usual swimsuits, shorts, shirts, etc. packed. Will we also need jackets for kids at night?? We are from freezing cold Michigan, so we are dreaming of 90 degree days... will it be cool or breezy instead?

9. Lastly, we want to do the aquarium at Atlantis in Nassau. Should we opt for the private taxi or the shore excursion thru Disney that includes access to Atlantis' beach? If we go on our own, is there a decent beach we could stop? Would safety be an issue? Any must-see shopping - is Market Street worth it??

Any advice is much appreciated! We are so excited, but I want to make sure I've thought of everything! :)

1. My 5 yo DD wants to get her hair braided... is this done on the ship for a reasonable price? Do you make a reservation for it (where)?

I think they can do it on the ship. I know there is a hair braiding thread here somewhere. I know it is really expensive (as in a dollar/braid) and they will easily put a hundred braids in...lol.

2. We are currently waitlisted for the early dinner seating. I've called Disney and because we booked thru a travel agent, was told we had to go thru them to change. Contacted them, but not sure if they really looked into it or not. What's the chance of me changing this on board?? Our kids usually eat at 5:30 NOT 8!! I know we can eat at the snack shops, but I want my family to be able to experience the restaurants.

Just go to the matre D AS SOON AS you get onboard and try to change. I don't know how good your odds are since it's a ship with lots of young kids...parents wanting early seating.

3. Can my DH and I attend some of the Kids Club programs with our DD? Any activities that are an absolute do not miss?

They have FAMILY activities that you can attend together. But generally they don't want the parents in the Kids club area. I was able to step in and watch. But I didn't participate. It has to do with security. They keep it pretty tight in the clubs. Something not to miss, the Goofy Pool Party...they will shoot off fireworks off the ship and everyone wears blinking mickey ears. :D

4. Is whole milk available on board?

Seriously can't remember if it's whole or 2%. I know we had to ask repeatedly for milk when we went to dinner. :rolleyes: I wasn't impressed with their service (sorry)

5. My DD gets car sick quite easily... will she be suseptible to seasickness?

She could be. She's 5? Talk to your doctor as to what to take with you. The better medicine is Children's Formula Bonine but it starts at age 6. So talk to your doc...other options are dramamine and benedryl...but those both will make her sleepy.

6. Since the cruise is two weeks after our 8 yr anniversary, I am considering splurging on a couple's massage on board ship (sounds like this also includes a private veranda w/ hot tub). Can anyone recommend this??

Why not do the massage at Castaway Cay? I hear those are to die for. They are the first thing booked on every Disney cruise.

7. LOVE the ideas for the cruise goodies for kids like sand pail, bubbles, snacks, water camera, etc! Has anyone added dress-up items for the pirate party? Any suggestions?

My girls take Disney Princess gowns for EVERY night. :rolleyes: It doesn't matter if we are on a Disney cruise or in Walt Disney World, my kids are wearing princess gowns.

At the pirate party, they give everyone a pirate bandana to wear. Some of the little boys dress up in their own pirate costumes.

And yes, we take water cameras and sand toys, SNACKS for the plane ride.

8. What to pack?? I have the usual swimsuits, shorts, shirts, etc. packed. Will we also need jackets for kids at night?? We are from freezing cold Michigan, so we are dreaming of 90 degree days... will it be cool or breezy instead?

YES! It is CHILLY onboard the ship. At night it would be best to dress the kids in something with long sleeves or at least a a small sweater. I never take enough warm clothes. I am always ready for the hot weather and I forget how windy it is at night and how chilly the AC gets on ships. The dining rooms are notoriously cold.

9. Lastly, we want to do the aquarium at Atlantis in Nassau. Should we opt for the private taxi or the shore excursion thru Disney that includes access to Atlantis' beach? If we go on our own, is there a decent beach we could stop? Would safety be an issue? Any must-see shopping - is Market Street worth it??

How long are you in Nassau? We always book rooms at Atlantis when we are docked the entire day (like as in ship leaves VERY late at night or the next morning)

The cruise passes are MUCH more expensive than doing it on your own. A taxi to Atlantis is $5 pp. And there are loads of them at the dock. Nassau is very safe in that area.

I'll give you an example...we try to get Atlantis for $175 - $199. You can also book Comfort Suites next door if Atlantis is not available and you will be given braclets for Atlantis.

These braclets will give you full access to Atlantis. We've been there twice in the past year and still haven't been able to do all of the slides/pools available to those under 48" :eek: There is just so much to do.

I see some of the cruiseline prices going for $150 PER PERSON. :eek: Not worth it.

Also, I wouldn't set out to go to the straw market. You won't be missing much.

Archived