Time Zone Help Needed

vhorsen

We are scheduled to arrive in the Cayman Islands at 7am (ship time) on March 17th. I have found out the Cayman Islands do not observe DST so they would be an hour off from our ship time, which is Eastern time.

Does this really mean that we will arrive at 6am local time?? And if it does is there anything even open at that hour?

Thanks for your help. This is our first cruise and I am really confused trying to book our shore excursions!

The ship's time will change a day or two ahead of time so ship's time and local time will coincide. At least it did last week :D .

Have a great cruise! If you imbibe don't miss the coconut Tortuga rum while you're there. YUMMMMO!

JHC

The ship's time will change a day or two ahead of time so ship's time and local time will coincide. At least it did last week :D .

Last week the Eastern Time Zone was not on Daylight Savings Time. Then Cayman Time and Eastern Time were the same.

Pretty much nothing is open at 6am. You can't even get coffee at Burger King at that hour.

Yep, what ship you're on might help answer this question. DH and I were on the Imagination last month, and I did all my research, and found that Miami and Grand Cayman were an hour different. So when we showed up for Capt Marvin's tour, we ended up being an hour late thanks to my research. :( Luckily they had room on the next tour and put us on that, and we had a great time. However, when we were on the Valor last year, we actually changed times on the ship, so who knows? :confused:

I was under the impression that ships observe local time and adjust their clocks at sea. no?

No, on the Victory last week to the Western Caribbean the ship always stayed on "ship time" which was EST- Miami time).

We stayed on ship time two weeks ago on Valor, so we were the same as Grand Cayman and one hour ahead of Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. One warning if you stay on ship's time: if your cell phone picks up a local signal, it may change the time on your cell phone. That happened to us in Cozumel - our oldest son came to dinner on the ship an hour late because he was relying on his cell phone for time. (At least he was still able to get an entree and dessert.)

Thank you for all the answers! We are going to be sailing on the Carnival Inspiration. Some things I read say the ship doesn't change it's time while others say it does! I have tried calling Carnival and I get different answers every time. The best I can get is the ship is on Eastern time and when it says we arrive at 7 and stay till 2 it means ship time.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

We stayed on ship time two weeks ago on Valor, so we were the same as Grand Cayman and one hour ahead of Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. One warning if you stay on ship's time: if your cell phone picks up a local signal, it may change the time on your cell phone. That happened to us in Cozumel - our oldest son came to dinner on the ship an hour late because he was relying on his cell phone for time. (At least he was still able to get an entree and dessert.)

Yes~! Do not rely on your cell phones for accurate time. It gets way too confusing and you could be late getting back on. The same applies for using it to tell time while on board too. We sat at a table for 10 last time we cruised. There were two nights where half of our table was late because they were using their cell phones to monitor time. Luckily our waiters were accomodating in serving them.

• 3 weeks later...

My question is also about ship time vs. local time. We will be on the Mariner on July 31st from 8 am - 4 pm. The tour I would like to book with Native Way is listed on their web site with a start time of 9 a.m. Eastern.

What time is this? Since the Mariner sails out of Port Canaveral, it will be on Eastern Daylight Savings Time. Does the Mariner stay on "ship time", or is ship time the same as Cayman time since it's daylight savings.

I'm confusing myself. Please help. :confused: I just want to make sure we're on time for our tour.

Archived