We did both southern itineraries last winter on Serenade, to Barbados, and Adventure, to Aruba, since each only does that exclusive trip during that time period. I liked the Barbados route better since it was more port intense and that group of islands, IMHO, are more interesting places to visit than the desert islands of the Aruba route.

I like both itineraries, but then I like to have a mix of sea days with port days.

I went on the 1/2 day jeep tour last year and that was fun, but HOT!!!! Was kind of glad when the jeep I was in broke down and I had to join the leader who had a top on her jeep and A/C. This year I'm doing MiDushi. Have heard only positives regarding that excursion.

Curacao is supposed to be awesome for diving if you do that. My plans are still up in the air for this year. I swam with Dolphins last year and it was awesome, but there have been problems at the Aquarium of late so I wouldn't recommend.

I always enjoy going to Orient Beach in St. Maarten. Have heard nothing but good regarding the American regatta excursion. I did Lord Sheffield's when it was a private excursion and it is also very good.

As for St. Thomas, I don't think you can go wrong. Almost anything you do will be enjoyable. I'm going to Trunk Bay for the first time this year and looking forward to it.

Enjoy your cruise!

Jen

We just was on the Aruba route in Feb.We rented a jeep in Aruba and went around the island. Had a blast. Got lost a lot and it was rough but it was great. If you decide to rent ,do it early as they run out of Jeeps quickly.In Curacao we did the trolley tour,it was a rip-off.Hung around town.St Marten,we did the regatta.Again, we had a blast,but it is a harder excursion as you become part of the crew.Also,in previous trips we did Orient Beach and other things.in St Thomas, anything you do is going to be fun.

We like the Barbados route as we like to visit the islands.

In Aruba, my wife and I did the Jeep tour and loved it. We drove all around the island, hiting all the highlights such as the natural arch. Curacoa, we just walked around town in the local markets and went to a cave (can't remember the name of them, interesting but would not do it again. St. Maarten we did the America's Cup Sailing Regatta. This was by far my favorite excursion I have ever done. As a previous poster noted, it is somewhat physical if you decide to become a part of the crew, but you have the option to sit back and watch if you do not want to participate. We also went to Orient Beach, and it is beautiful. At St. Thomas we went on a catamaran sail/snorkel. The water is beautiful and it happened to be the time when sea turtles migrate in that area. We are going on the other itenarary this fall. What excursions wouldyou suggest for it?

I was tempted to say a similar thing. What else could you expect from guys whose Avatar is them diving.

great minds think alike. :cool:

Seriously, OP should check out the Ports of Call section for more detailed info.

We did De Palm Island snorkeling in Aruba last summer - wouldn't do it again. In Curacao we did our own excursion to some caves. While it was fun, it involved a lot of climbing to get to some of the caves and my poor old bones couldn't take it. St. Marteen was the Regetta and it was a BLAST. Yes it was expensive but it was a lot of fun. My kids (15 & 19) still talk about it almost a year later. St. Thomas was diving/snorkeling with Admirality.

We have done both and have to say they are all great islands.

In Aruba we did an all day jeep excursion and it was sooooo much fun!. My teen daughter and her friend said it was the best excursion that we have ever done.

Loved Orient Beach in St. Marteen, did not like the Regata at all (I was suprised at this because there was so many positive reviews).

We did the Bob (boss) in St. Thomas. Another great excursion was the Silvermoon in Barbados.

We did that route last summer.

In Aruba we did the Pirate ship (Kids loved this!!!!!) I think the adults secretly had a good time as well. ARRRRRR After we went back to the ship cause it was hot!!!

In Curacao we caught a cab to town shopped and went to the Kura Hulanda museum (about the east indie slave trade), which was really special. We had arranged for the driver to pick us back up and he showed up right on time and took us to Playa Porto Mari Beach where we ate lunch and snorkled.

St. Maarten: rented a car and drove around the island and ended up at Orient Beach. Beautiful and food was great.

St. Thomas: Ferry to St. John and snorkled Trunk Bay. Still had two+ hours to buy beautiful Tanzanite jewelry in St. Thomas. :D

We had a blast and would not change a thing!!!

we hire joyce in st martin for a 5 or 6 hours

she took us to the french side gave us so much information about the island

we didn't like orient beach too crowded for us

we aske her where she woul suggest

so we went to mullet bay beach it was perfect

not crowded, they had food to buy, chairs , umbrellas, lots of fish

loved it

in curacoa we hired gigi she gave us a historical tour of the island

went to the oldest temple in the western hemisphere, cemetry that was opened in the 1500's

so interested

Well I did the St. Lucia/Antigua/Barbados/St. Thomas/St.Martin route on the Serenade last February and the Aruba route on the Adventure this January for my wedding, and I have to say I prefer the St. Lucia route. I just really like the lush tropical St. Lucia and Antigua and Barbados rather than the more desert-like Aruba and Curacao. Although I DO love those two islands also. I just prefer the other itinerary. I also really don't like how the itinerary is set up on the Aruba route so that St. Martin and St. Thomas are the last two days of the cruise - I think I prefer to have a sea day be the last day. I know it sounds nit-picky but I just was so bummed out while in St. Thomas because it was the last day.

Laura

Thanks everyone!!

bplazo - What didn't you enjoy about the Regatta?

Everyone has a "job duty" on board and we were short on people doing the sail and I had to be both winch people. The captain was yelling out the orders faster than I could do the winching (having a bad sholder didnt help either). I would have rather just laid back and enjoyed the sail.

I was called the grumpy winch! lol

My husband enjoyed it though.

Everyone has a "job duty" on board and we were short on people doing the sail and I had to be both winch people. The captain was yelling out the orders faster than I could do the winching (having a bad sholder didnt help either). I would have rather just laid back and enjoyed the sail.

I was called the grumpy winch! lol

My husband enjoyed it though.

:p . It's my husbands choice too. I would rather not have a job. Sorry to hear you didn't have a good time though.

Archived