Chankanaab National Park or Xcaret, which to visit

cruiseaway

Our family will be in Cozumel in November. I have two sons, ages 10 and 14. I am trying to decide which park to visit. I am also thinking of doing a dolphin swim. I would appreciate any comments on your visits to these parks and your experience with the dolphin swmins. We would like to do some snorkeling and enjoy the beach. Thank you.

If you're planning a dolphin swim - Chankanaab it will be! They aren't offered at any other park. Also - you'll need to make reservations for the swim, as they book up early.

Chankanaab is a wonderful place to spend the day! So many things to do and see - don't miss the botanical garden w/replicated Mayan ruins. Snorkeling is good there. I did it for the first time last year - and was amazed at all the beautifully colored and types of fish and coral reef. Also underwater statues. Really a fun day!:)

Actually, Xcaret also has dolphin encounters:

http://www.xcaretcancun.com/results.asp?mnuFauna=attractions&Submit=Submit&offset=3

Note tho, if you're docking in Cozumel, Chankanaab is going to be a lot easier to get to. I"ve heard it's a 10-15 minute cab ride from where the ship docks. Xcaret you have to take a ferry over to the mainland.....it's a much more involved trip. Plus, the admission to Chankanaab is $12 for adults...for Xcaret the price is $46.55

I've been to Xcaret, it's very nice and has lots to do. But if I was going strictly for a dolphin experience...I'd go to Chankanaab...like I'm doing in November. I booked with the folks through cozumelinsider.com (not affiliated, but so far a very happy customer) They have some great packages and I'm thrilled to be not only doing a dolphin swim, but also a sea lion swim!

If you are docking in Cozumel, Chanakaab is right there. I do know that some ships drop off at Playa Del Carmen but you would have to take the ferry back from PDC to Cozumel. If it were me, I'd spend my time in Cozumel. Chanakaab is wonderful and the snorkeling is fabulous. Lots of things to do for everyone without a structured, expensive tour. Plenty of shopping for later in the day as well as mini golf if you and your family are interested - Sally's place. Carlo's and Charlies and Senor Frogs for the adults in the evening. It's a great way to relax!! Enjoy!!

Archived