Warning re: Waverunner rentals on Paradise Island

ms.sunburn

We're just back from a terrific holiday aboard the Carnival Triumph. We rented waverunners in St. Thomas (Sapphire Beach) and in Nassau (Paradise Island). St. Thomas was a breeze. No hassle, clocks on the waverunners so you could tell how much time had elapsed, professional setup, $45 for 1/2 hour. We had the exact opposite experience in Nassau. We paid $110 for an hour and ten minutes but after only 30 minutes were hassled to come back to shore because they already had new clients lined up. We never did get the time we paid for. It was a bad experience. Never again. When we paid for the waverunner we were surrounded by about 7 men as we pulled out our cash. Talk about intimidating!

I would never recommend renting a waverunner to anyone on Paradise Island, but if you're determined to do it make sure you synchronize your watch with whoever you're renting it from BEFORE you take the equipment out.

It's a shame for Nassau that they tolerate this kind of thing because in the end it hurts the island's reputation. I thought the beach was beautiful and the people at the Atlantis resort where we had lunch were very nice, but I won't be back to Nassau. I'll spend my dollars somewhere else next time.

We stayed for a week at the Harborside Resort in Atlantis, and there was literature in our condo warning us against renting waverunners from the independents. We thought it was just to scare us into using them at their higher prices, but perhaps not (we didn't rent any). Sorry you had that experience.:(

We stayed for a week at the Harborside Resort in Atlantis, and there was literature in our condo warning us against renting waverunners from the independents. We thought it was just to scare us into using them at their higher prices, but perhaps not (we didn't rent any). Sorry you had that experience.:(

I wouldn't recommend ANY jetski operator in this area. They are too congested and just too many vendors for safety. Each season we have tourist maimed or killed playing with these machines.

Greedy vendors rent to anyone with a few dollars.. without proper licensing and training.

If you want to jet ski.. go to one of the island tours like blackbeards or pearl island.. and rent. There are only a dozen or so machines in open waters.. far less dangerous.

just reutrned from great vacation on Carnival Liberty. We were in Nassau on Saturday at Paradise Island, same thing happened to us..After 30 minutes told us our time was up and we paid for 1 hr..another guy working there let us continue on....we were upset

This happened to me back in the early 90s. I guess some things never change. I'd set my stopwatch when I took off for my 30 minute trip, and they started waving me in after 20 minutes. I waved back for the next 8 minutes (more than one finger), but took a spill on the way back and showed up after 32 minutes. The guy wanted another $15, and I gave him 2. No problem.

Just know what you are doing with these guys, and have a stop watch. Some how, the "authorized" vendors on Cable Beach don't give me any more confidence than these renegades.

When we went to Atlantis in Dec, we tried to rent jet skis there, and after many delays after my husband and his friend paid, they drove our friend past the choppy waves and started crazily driving him out to the middle of nowhere. Our friend was freaking out, then the jet ski died in the middle of the ocean! They finally got their other jet ski to pull them back to the beach and we immediately asked for our money back, as it seemed we were not going to have a good experience with their crappy jet skis and shady business. They handed over the money immediately and we got out of there.

We had and amazing experience at Atlantis, but they should not let these guys run such a horrible business on their beach.

lesson learned.

Archived