First time cruisers with specific questions...

On formal nights we're not going to look stupid and not dress up, but just wondered if really a linen suit or slacks with a dress shirt/tie will put us really out of place or if dress runs the gamut from tuxes to polos/khakis, of which we'd be right in the middle. You know the jacket issue is interesting since it almost seems like a formality to get in the door. I could never imagine sitting through a 2-hour dinner with my jacket on, instead it would most likely be hung over my chair and everyone would be seeing me with a shirt/tie which is what I'm wanting to wear anyways.
A linen suit will meet the minimum code. [However, I'd never take linen because of the wrinkles. Wool packs SO much better.]

From our experience, slacks/dress shirt/tie would stand out. On formal nights dress does not run the gamut from tuxes to polos/khakis. If memory serves, isn't the Volendam doing 10-day cruises? If so, the passengers will tend more towards the tuxes on the longer (non 7-day) cruises. So a dark suit would fit in just fine.

I also hate to tell you that I've never noticed a man taking off his coat for dinner (or putting one back on/carrying out the door after dinner). That doesn't mean that somewhere in the dining room a man hasn't, but I've never seen it happen. Unless you have only family at your table, I'd suggest keeping it on.

A linen suit will meet the minimum code. [However, I'd never take linen because of the wrinkles. Wool packs SO much better.]

From our experience, slacks/dress shirt/tie would stand out. On formal nights dress does not run the gamut from tuxes to polos/khakis. If memory serves, isn't the Volendam doing 10-day cruises? If so, the passengers will tend more towards the tuxes on the longer (non 7-day) cruises. So a dark suit would fit in just fine.

I also hate to tell you that I've never noticed a man taking off his coat for dinner (or putting one back on/carrying out the door after dinner). That doesn't mean that somewhere in the dining room a man hasn't, but I've never seen it happen. Unless you have only family at your table, I'd suggest keeping it on.

My husband never removes his jacket either. The dining room is absolutely FREEZING.

Before our recent Zuiderdam cruise I asked some of these questions so that my 16 year old son would be dressed appropriately. On previous cruises a majority of men had removed their jackets once in the dining room, however, on the Zuiderdam it did not happen. I think this is because the dining room was kept at a cool temperature. In fact the suggestion that women take a light wrap, if they do not have sleeves, should be taken seriously.

You are going to have a great time and once on-board will be able to forget about the stress involved in packing. And.....if you take the linen suit, you can have it pressed and ready for the first formal night, and repressed for the second. And....I don't know if this helps, but my son took a tux and on the first formal night wore a white shirt and black tie, and on the second formal night, (which tends to be a bit less formal), he just wore a black dress shirt, no tie. Casual nights are easy as long as you have a pair of khakis and a collared shirt!!

Have Fun!!!!! Cherie

Archived