VICTORIA-Cab FAre from ship to Butchard Gardens???

The gardens are quite a way out of town and the pier, my guess would be that it would be the best part of $50 each way and maybe a bit more. I personally would be looking at a tour bus.

Here is the website for the largest taxi company in Victoria; I am sure they would give you a price over the phone but waiting for a cab to come back to the ship would be a question in my mind.

http://www.taxicab.com/rates.html

Hmmm...thinking my travel partner was mis-informed! I just went to the BigBus website and there are 24 stops around Victoria but it does NOT list the gardens :confused: ?!

Back to the drawing board for us! SORRY!

Take the GreyLine bus from in front of the Empress Hotel, it costs $7.00/person each way. Be warned, taxi cabs don't sit out at Butchart's waiting for return trips, so if you take one out there you might be waiting a long time for one back into town.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the greyline prices and info - are these buses on a schedule - when I go to greyline website I just seem to get tour info, not regular bus info.

Is there also a regular city bus that goes to Buchart Gardens?

Thanks for any info.:)

You don't say what ship or how long you are in port on? We were only there 6 hours so I chose to book the Gradens through the cruise line for that very reason! If you are not back from a tour that the ship did not book THEY WILL NOT WAIT FOR YOU!!! You will be at the dock waving goodbye to your ship if you're late!:eek: I booked most tours on my own but this one I decided to go with the ship (HAL) and I'm glad I did. It was a great tour and I had the comfort the entire time of not having to watch my watch! If the ship you are on has a good Gardens tour I would highly recommend it unless you are in port for a day or so. As has been said before the Gardens are quite a ways from the pier, it took us about 45mins to an hour to get there.

Yes you can get to the gardens by transit, it appears to be the #75 bus that leaves from Fairfield & Blanchard which is about 2 blocks behind the Empress Hotel. So you need to get from the pier to the Empress Hotel which I understand is a $ 5 or $6 trip by shuttle then you walk about 2 blocks. I am not comfortable recommending transit because I always have a car when I am in Victoria but here is the transit link and if you only have a few hours in Victoria the scene could get a bit scary. http://www.bctransit.com/regions/vic/ As for Grayline maybe they have a 1800 number that you could phone.

Ten minutes is pretty optimistic for walking to the Empress. It's almost a mile and a half by the best route, two miles if you walk along the south shoreline. I'd give myself half an hour for that walk.

Gray Line is your best bet to Butchart Gardens if you don't take the ship's tour. You'll find their schedule here. I'd avoid public transit for this trip. While there is a bus to Butchart Gardens, service is infrequent and it would take over an hour each way. There are better things to do in Victoria than sit on a bus.

Ten minutes is pretty optimistic for walking to the Empress. It's almost a mile and a half by the best route, two miles if you walk along the south shoreline. I'd give myself half an hour for that walk.

Thank you for setting this straight, I thought I was either loosing it or walking to slow!

Grayline offers two services to the gardens in the daytime. One is the shuttle, that is a direct bus to the gardens with no commentary and that leaves about every half hour from the bus depot. the cost is about $17 per person round trip. They also offer a tour out to the gardens that is fully commentated and it leaves from in front of the Empress hotel and it is a little more expensive. Now most ships will not be in until 6:00 at night, so I hate to say it but the best bet is to book through the ship.

You can walk from the ship to Empress.It is only a 10 min walk.If not they have taxi's or shuttles at terminal.

Buthchart Gardens is approx 30-40 min drive from downtown Victoria.

This would be the case from the ferry dock where the Seattle, Bellingham & Port Angeles ferries arrive. This is at the old Canadian Pacific Terminal, the classic main building of which (designed by Rattenbury), is now Madame Tussaud's. The cruise ship dock is quite a bit farther out & is a fair walk. I have done it & would suggest 30 to 45 minutes. There is also the water taxi that you can catch at Fisherman's Wharf, which is on the way. That is a nice little trip.

Graham.

Hi, can anyone give me an estimate of the cab fare from the cruise terminal (RCI) to Butchard Gardens? Thanks very much.

I just phoned Yellow Cabs and they said roughly $45 Cand. each way to BG. About $13.00 to Craaigdarroch castle and about $7.00 to Inner Harbour last time I did that walk I was in my twenties and it took me a good 25 mins.

My daughter and I just had lunch at the Bengal Lounge in The Empress and oh boy it was good!!! Expensive at $25.00 pp but really good :)

Also the Irish Times pub on Government street offers good food and drink amazing beer and ale menu :D

Archived