Cozumel - Practical to visit Paradise Beach & Chankanaab?

saltysailor2

[font=Comic Sans MS]We'll be a group of 14 people, 8 of whom are teens. I've heard so many great things about [b]Paradise Beach and Chankanaab Park[/b] that it's difficult to decide which to visit. The activities and facilities at PB sound great, but I understand that snorkeling there is nothing to write home about. Chankanaab has good snorkeling but doesn't really have the kind of beautiful sandy beach that Caribbean vacation dreams are made of. So, my thinking is, [b]is it practical to visit both, moneywise and timewise?[/b] I see from a map I found online that you pass Chankanaab as you head south to PB. [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Our ship is scheduled to arrive at 7:30 a.m. and to depart at 4:30 p.m. (And I know that some of the group aren't exactly early risers). Are there vans that can accomodate 14 (like those airport vans)? If there are and you know how I can find one, let me know. Cost? Any info you can provide would be great. Thanks. ;) [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Got another question, too: If part of the group gets there earlier, would the later-arriving people have much trouble finding the first group? I guess I'm asking how large the places are. Maybe a good time to have one set of those walkie-talkies?[/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Give me some ideas and advice, folks. Thanks. :D [/font]

Salty, it is difficult to plan for everyone in your group. At the port, there will be car, SUV and Van taxi's available throughout the day. Let your group know what options are available; Taxi to Paradise = $12-15 for 4 people in a car, $5 entry to Paradise Beach after Oct. 1 (sorry, entry is free but the charge is only for usage of the mats, snorkel gear, kayak's etc.), Chankannab $8pp entry, etc. and let them make the decisions. You will be a lot less stressed about everyone enjoying themselves. Do urge "parents" to go to the same place as their teens. No one wants "kids" to get into trouble while on vacation (if you know what I mean). Let them know where you will be and if they wish to join you on the beach, that is an option. The Beach is long and beautiful, so they may have to walk around a little at the shore line to locate you. Wear a bright hat or something that will make it a little easier. Relax and enjoy the Mexican hospitality. Have a great day in Cozumel.
Bon Voyage

[font=Comic Sans MS]Thanks, Nanatravel, you're right and your advice is much appreciated. I think the better solution is to snorkel in Key West and use Cozumel as our day at the sandy beach. Sounds much more peaceful and enjoyable. Besides, there's always that next cruise to catch a destination missed this time around. :) [/font]

[b]Hi Salty. Sounds like a big, fun group you'll be with. I intend to do BOTH Chankanaab and Paradise Beach on my November cruise. I enjoyed snorkeling at Chank last trip, so will do that first, then go on to PB for the rest of the day. [/b]

[b]Nana must not have been to Chank lately...the entry fee is $12, but well worth it. Hope y'all have a wonderful time, whatever you choose to do.:) [/b]

My two-cents worth:

Don't try to do both in such a short time, especially with teens who like to sleep in. We just returned from the Western and have done it twice before that. The first two times, we went to Chakanaab, this time PB.

PB was nice, but we wished we'd gone to Chak again. Snorkeling isn't good at PB, though the beach was nice. I disagree that Chak beach isn't a nice sandy beach. Yes, the entry to the water is rocky, but that means you have good snorkeling right there. There IS a nice, sandy beach, with palapas and rather wierd, but comfortable loungers. We found it very relaxing. Since your kids are teens, I don't think the rockiness would be a problem. There are also other nice things to do there, there are "regular" showers and changing rooms [very clean when we were there]. Check out their website for more info.

We are going to try to do both also. We have a dolphin swim at 10 am and we were going to snorkel and explore Chank for a while before, then go over to PB and on the way back to the ship, hit Cinco Soles and end at Carlos and Charlies. We may not make it to PB, which will dissapoint me a little, but we are going back to Coz next year, so if we don't make it there I guess we will go next year.

Archived