Do I need to get CAD$ or is US$ ok?

We will be going to Alaska and Canada in May. We have stops in the Yukon, Victoria and Vancouver. I am told by others that I will need CAD$ for taxi's and street vendors and such they don't want US$. The rest they say I can use my visa or MC for. Is this correct and if I do need CAD$ where is the best place to get it? We will be sailing the Millie.

Thanks for all your help

Taxi's in Vancouver and Victoria will also take visa. Not sure about the Yukon. All vendors are the same as yours. They would like real local dollars.

Victoria and VAncouver will have money exchanges easily found or banks or perhaps you could get them from your local bank before you leave....That's what we do goin' the other way.

The Millie may carry CA$ too come to think of it !! Ask your TA to check with the cruise line.

You certainly can use your US credit cards in Canada, however being a part time resident of the US I have had the experience of being wacked $2 per transaction on my Bank of America credit card when I have inadvertantly used it Canada. Most merchants and taxis in Vancouver, Victoria and the Yukon will accept US dollars even though it is now a penny or two lower than the Canadian dollar. However, I am a great believer in always carring the "coin of the realm" with me, so if you have the chance of going to the bank and picking up a few Canadian dollars before you come that won't hurt at all but if you don't then it should not be any great deal.

Thank all of you for the information. I under no curcumstances would ever disrespect my northern friends. I want to do what is right and on our roll call it's a debate as to what is excepted. So I am gathering US$ is excepted but it's better to use CAD$. I am so looking forward in visiting the lovely towns of Victoria and Vancouver.

We will be going to Alaska and Canada in May. We have stops in the Yukon, Victoria and Vancouver. I am told by others that I will need CAD$ for taxi's and street vendors and such they don't want US$. The rest they say I can use my visa or MC for. Is this correct and if I do need CAD$ where is the best place to get it? We will be sailing the Millie.

Thanks for all your help

While US$ are accepted in almost all (tourist) locations, you'll find you wont get the best rate as the merchant is doing you a favour of collecting something that is non legal tender to them, and then they have to do all the bank work to change it.

Any good size bank will be able to order in Cdn$ for you, or you can just hit a bank machine when you get off the boat in your 1st stop. Also, there will be currency exchanges in any significantly sized city, or airport.

Check with your bank to find out which bank (if they do) have an agreement of exchange on their ATMS. For example, BofA has an agreement with ScotiaBank in Canada.

Generally your best bet is to pull ONCE from an ATM to get the lowest rate. Getting CAD in the US is difficult and expensive, you are better off taking CAD from an ATM in Canada once.

While the CAD is currently 1% higher than the US, expect to pay anywhere from 5% to 10% as a discount at merchants. Canadian banks charge a fee to businesses to deposit USD in their bank accounts or to change it to CAD.

Courtesy to our northern neighbor would suggest that you use CAD. You should be able to use your ATM card in Canada and that will get you the proper local currency.

You should also make the effort to learn a few words of the local language :-)

Eh? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen a few business here in Victoria and Vancouver stop taking US money. I was in Edmonton last weekend for work and a upscale restaurant downtown refused one of my guest speakers from paying his restaurant tab in US. The server respectfully said they didn't accept US cash anymore because last time he checked Edmonton was still in Canada. We laughed, he paid in Visa and all ended well.

I know whenever I travel I always use the currancy of the country that I am in.

I was in Victoria last July and they were happy to take American because then, American was worth more than Canadian. Now, however, things have reversed. I know it's only a penny or so, but American is now worth LESS than Canadian. Are they still willing to take it?

I was in a very nice spa last week and someone tried to pay with US and the spa said no. The person was fine with it and paid with a visa.

From what I gather here some stores still take US but at a loss to you but it looks like it is getting harder to use it.

I don't expect foreign businesses to accept Canadian $ when I travel outside Canada so why do travellers expect Canadian businesses to accept foreign currencies (such as US$)?

When a US business agrees to accept Canadian $ for a purchase, you usually be sure that the exchange rate will not be favourable. [Even businesses that used to advertise Canadian $ at par didn't really give you par for your CAD.] And if a Canadian business accepts US$, there is no requirement for that business to give a good exchange rate. As noted by OP, Canadian banks charge a fee for the deposit of US$.

I have yet to see a tourist type business turn down US cash however you may not always get the correct rate of exchange. So to avoid this you can go to an ATM once in Canada and draw out some CDN cash then with any you have left over at the end of your trip you can exhange it back to US at the bank or currency exchange at the airport and if that is a problem then you can just mail any left over money to me.

Archived