Gem Complaints...I don't understand most of them??

Mich1121

From reading some reviews I often wonder why some people complain. (keep in mind I know everyone has an opinion and I respect that) I am talking about complaining about having to pay for soda-that is advertised on NCL's web site. Perhaps you didn't look into the specifics. Or how many specialty restaurants there are... Again I guess you didn't research. Or the destinations. Didn't you know what you were paying for??? Complaints of rude or uncaring NCL staff are valid and I value your opinion. Regardless of how much you pay you should be treated very well. And I love when people complain it was too cold-then don't cruise in Feb. I know everyone is intitled to an opinion but some of these are your own fault. I research and review each trip, ship and desination I am going on and I am fully aware of what I will have to pay for when I am on board. Needless to say I am still looking forward to sailing on the Gem 3/22/08.

Needless to say I am still looking forward to sailing on the Gem 3/22/08.

I'm on the same boat as you.:D You know someone will write about the ship being too full or too many kids, yada, yada.... I hope they know that it is Easter week. I've been on few cruises and not one of any the staff members, on any of the cruiselines, that I have ever been to was ever rude to us. I guess some people just give off bad vibes, I hope they are not in our cruise.

Yeah, me too. I'm going into this with an open mind. I make my own fun and as long as I don't have to cook and clean up after myself I'm pretty happy. I'm easy to please. It's too much effort for me to try and think of things to complain about. Don't get me wrong...If something really happened and I felt the need to address it-I would in a second. I'm praying for good weather but I know there's a chance there might not be because of the time I am sailing. As long as I am out of work and do not have to cook or clean and can relax (don't know if I'll be able to do that with two kids-one being almost a year old) I'll be good to go.

The only major complaints I've heard about the Gem concerns the specialty restaurants. We sailed on the Gem in January and enjoyed half-price dinners in Cagney's and LeBistro offered every night before 6PM. We also enjoyed dinner in LaCucina at no extra price. I now hear that the half-price specialty restaurant offers are no longer available, and they raised the prices in those restaurants. In addition they are now charging extra for the Italian restaurant LaCucina, which has always been reservations required, no extra charge on all NCL ships. I think these are legitimate complaints, especially when NCL claims they are upgrading our dining experience on their fleet?

Complaints of rude or uncaring NCL staff are valid and I value your opinion. Regardless of how much you pay you should be treated very well.

Seems to me, the complainers that complain about everything and include this particular complaint... well, if I were cruise staff and had to listen to some of these people, I'd be rude too.:p

I long time ago someone heard someone at the front desk complaining they couldn't get to sleep because the noise of the sea was too loud.:eek: One of my all time favorites.:p

Complaints of rude or uncaring NCL staff are valid and I value your opinion. Regardless of how much you pay you should be treated very well.

Seems to me, the complainers that complain about everything and include this particular complaint... well, if I were cruise staff and had to listen to some of these people, I'd be rude too.:p

I long time ago someone heard someone at the front desk complaining they couldn't get to sleep because the noise of the sea was too loud.:eek: One of my all time favorites.:p

I completely agree with the specialty restaurante price increase and a free one now has a surcharge. I am highly annoyed with that as well. Between that and the fuel surcharge what is next. I'm talking about the complaints of the weather was cold and the cabin was small. The pictures on NCL's web site do not lie. They are small. And if you sail in Dec. Jan or Feb you may not have the perfect warm weather you were hoping for. Of knowing what you signed up for, paid for and have complaints. Or they complain that they want to eat with other people (like Carnival or RC)-then why did you decide to book with NCL and the freestyle concept. Or the decor of the ship... Didn't you look at pictures before you spent thousands of dollars on a cruise??? Those type of things. I think some of the people complaining just have a poor attitude.

Everyone is intitled to their opinion! I am not trying to stop that. I just don't want people to get side tracked and think they are not in for a good vacation. A vacation is what we make of it. With a new ship I expect some kinks-that can only be expected but I am sure I will come back and be able to say that I had a great time. Will I have any complaints...Probably. But nothing to do with weather, cabin size and the islands we're going to.

I hadn't read the new reviews but I just did & I can't believe all the ridiculous complaints either!

Such as : don't cruise in Feb out of NY its cold, Feb. = cold, really, no kidding!?, no indoor pool, paying for the specialty restaurants (not the increase just in general), automated tips, etc.. did you do the research, especially if you can go on an write a review, I'm sure you knew about the forums...

I can't even remember what else people complained about but people should research first & some of the complaints were just plain dumb...

I hadn't read the new reviews but I just did & I can't believe all the ridiculous complaints either!

Such as : don't cruise in Feb out of NY its cold, Feb. = cold, really, no kidding!?, no indoor pool, paying for the specialty restaurants (not the increase just in general), automated tips, etc.. did you do the research, especially if you can go on an write a review, I'm sure you knew about the forums...

I can't even remember what else people complained about but people should research first & some of the complaints were just plain dumb...

I am really enjoying this thread. My family is taking their first NCL cruise on the GEM in March. Some of the recent reviews have been extremely negative. Some of the information about rude / uncaring personnel is disturbing. However, I have cruised on both RCL and Princess and there are always a few bad apples. For the most part, cruise ship personnel have been gracious and professional. I am hoping for the same experience on NCL, understanding that no cruise is perfect.

Some of the recent complaints are really funny. If you are able to post a review, then you should also be able use that same computer to research prior to spending thousands of dollars on a vacation. I especially enjoyed the review that complained about Key West stop being eliminated (if this is important to you, you should probably note this before handing over the credit card). Several reviews also mentioned the need to make reservations at the specialty restaurants. From my research, this is only needed if you DON’T eat in the main dining room. I am not even going to mention the karaoke complaints.

I do agree with the complaints about price increases in the specialty restaurants. If this part of Freestyle 2.0, then improved menus should be implemented at the same time.

I want to thank everyone that has posted about their experience (both good and bad). I’m hoping that this information will help this new NCL cruiser to better enjoy the advantages of freestyle cruising.

just got off the Gem and i will post a full review shortly, but my family did not have any complaints with any of the reservations, food or staff in any of the restaurants. We only ate at two of the $$ restaurants, but that's because that's all that interested us - Cagneys and Teppanyaki. didn't go to La Cuccina, not because of the $, but because we live in NY and already have the best italian food this side of Italy at our doorstep everyday.

i would recommend the Gem to anyone who is interested in a cruise.

We sailed in February and thought the Gem was beautiful!! We would sail her again in a heartbeat. As far as the weather, anything was better than the weather we left behind. (Then had to return to) We were able to swim and wear shorts and tanks while in ports, so what were people complaining about? Yes, of course while in N.Y. the weather was still chilly, so what, we checked out the ship the entire day in the New York port. We stayed inside and if a sweater was needed, we used it. We put the heat on in our room to awaken during the night to turn the A.C. on since it became balmy as we sailed south.

No problem with the Gem or her staff. The Captain and his crew were there to please and would do anything they could to try and make our cruise the best it could be.

Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion.

It also strikes me as odd that people call NCL the hidden costs cruiseline. HOW DO YOU NOT READ ANYTHING THAT NCL SENT YOU BEFORE YOUR CRUISE! I was so happy to be going on my first NCL cruise, I read everything they sent 100 times. I looked at the website. I knew EXACTLY what was free and what costs money. The service charge was not "hidden". In the cruise docs and on the website they spelled out what eating venues were free and which on carried a charge. NOT HIDDEN! I didn't find CC until after our 2nd NCL cruise and yet I managed to not be surprised by anything (other than my first bar tab-OUCH!)

I think the problem is that people compare NCL to the mainsteam lines and it like comparing apples to oranges....there is just nothing similar about them......NCL is a unique way of cruising and once you understand the concept you won't compare them.

We realized this by Day 2... its a casual do what you want, eat what you want, when you want... just plan ahead and make reservations for the restauants you want to eat at..... you might like them all ...you might only like some... just don't go back to the one you dislike...

We sailed in February and thought the Gem was beautiful!! We would sail her again in a heartbeat. As far as the weather, anything was better than the weather we left behind. (Then had to return to) We were able to swim and wear shorts and tanks while in ports, so what were people complaining about? Yes, of course while in N.Y. the weather was still chilly, so what, we checked out the ship the entire day in the New York port. We stayed inside and if a sweater was needed, we used it. We put the heat on in our room to awaken during the night to turn the A.C. on since it became balmy as we sailed south.

No problem with the Gem or her staff. The Captain and his crew were there to please and would do anything they could to try and make our cruise the best it could be.

Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion.

Agree!

From reading some reviews I often wonder why some people complain. (keep in mind I know everyone has an opinion and I respect that) I am talking about complaining about having to pay for soda-that is advertised on NCL's web site. Perhaps you didn't look into the specifics. Or how many specialty restaurants there are... Again I guess you didn't research. Or the destinations. Didn't you know what you were paying for??? Complaints of rude or uncaring NCL staff are valid and I value your opinion. Regardless of how much you pay you should be treated very well. And I love when people complain it was too cold-then don't cruise in Feb. I know everyone is intitled to an opinion but some of these are your own fault. I research and review each trip, ship and desination I am going on and I am fully aware of what I will have to pay for when I am on board. Needless to say I am still looking forward to sailing on the Gem 3/22/08.

i am also going on that one i read the reviews and some were bad some of them were pretty good and then you wouldn't think they were on the same ship i think alot has to do with your frame of mind

I'm not sure what is meant by "rude or uncaring staff":confused:

After 8 cruises on NCL in the past 4 years, we have yet to meet them.

Well, we did meet ONE disgruntled waiter on one of the ships...perhaps he was having a bad day? We laughed and named him "grumpy" though I think he heard us :eek:

The Gem is a beautiful ship. Prem, the HD, is ALL OVER the ship, ALL of the time.

For those concerned about the charge in the Italian restaurant, I believe that Coka (a reliable source) has posted that it was a one month try-out. That restaurant is always crowded :-)

Enjoy your cruise. No matter the weather, you will be cruising on a beautiful ship with a wonderful staff:)

I was the source of information on the 4-week trial of the $10 surcharge at La Cucina. I got that information from Prem, when I chased him down after the Meet-and-Greet (none of the staff stayed long enough for us to ask questions).

La Cucina was not at all crowded as a result, but I suspect that wasn't their intended result. On the other hand, Grand Pacific and Magenta were frequently packed, and on at least two nights we were told that there would be a 45-60 min wait to be seated in either one. :(

The good news is we loved the buffet, so nobody in our family suffered greatly. If you wanted sit-down dining, however, it was surprisingly difficult to get without paying for a surcharge restaurant.

I was the source of information on the 4-week trial of the $10 surcharge at La Cucina. I got that information from Prem, when I chased him down after the Meet-and-Greet (none of the staff stayed long enough for us to ask questions).

Oops...sorry...trying to catch up on all of the posts.

La Cucina was not at all crowded as a result, but I suspect that wasn't their intended result. On the other hand, Grand Pacific and Magenta were frequently packed, and on at least two nights we were told that there would be a 45-60 min wait to be seated in either one. :(

Hmmm..and when we were on the Gem La Cucina was "packed" every night! We were at a table one evening when we saw MANY passengers turned away from La Cucina.

The good news is we loved the buffet, so nobody in our family suffered greatly. If you wanted sit-down dining, however, it was surprisingly difficult to get without paying for a surcharge restaurant.

I agree, though we do not like buffets, they sure did have a great set-up and many choices on the Gem. The Great Outdoors is just lovely.

Perhaps sit-down dining depends on the time of year you are cruising. We never had a problem with sit-down dining in the main restaurants.

Archived