Skagway Train- Can a family ride together/Then split up?

VikkiGarcia

I know there are tons of questions about the railroad but I could not figure out if this would work. My sister's family wants to ride the train with her kids just up and back (shortest option). Do they get to walk around or spend any time before reboarding for the way down?

My parents want to ride the train up with them then transfer to another option. Is there a way they can sit with their grandchildren for the ride up? Or do they hav to sit in another car with their specific tour?

I am looking for any option that allows them to be together for the first half.

Is there anything like that?

Thanks for all your insight!!

The roundtrip train to the Summit does not allow people to get on or off. There is a different train that goes one-way between Skagway and Fraser, BC. That's the train you would take if you want to get off and return by bus on an excursion through the ship, the railroad, or an independent company like Chilkoot Charters. You could also rent a car in Skagway and meet those taking the train one-way to Fraser.

To answer your question - your parents can't do what you are suggesting because they would be on a completely different train, not just rail car, than their grandchildren.

2 completely different trains..same train company, but they use different trains for round-trip or combo tours.

the round-trip, when booked through the cruiselines, will be right at the docks. you board right there, the train only goes to the summit. the other train will pass them, to go further up the tracks to the yukon. the round-trip train will then head down the same tracks.

Now I think I get it, two separate trains.

Well then if my parents want to stick with the grandkids they will all do the longer train ride. How long is the stop if you are returning by train? I read about Caribou Crossing, does that require the bus return?

First question, first answer! The train which goes on through to Carcross can be ridden both ways for the truly train buffs among us!?!? Most people do the train bus thing when they go to Carcross this way in order to see maximum scenery!

Next, to be completely accurate, the shortest train ride,measured by time onboard, is not the round trip, from ship back to ship. This one is, as discussed above, a little over 3 hours onboard the train.

Now, not to throw to much confusion into this, the shortest train ride usually considered on this forum, is the one way to Fraser, with total onboard time of just about 2 hours, but this one actually goes a few miles further into Canada than the round trip, which makes it a longer linear trip than the ship to ship..... Dare I desist here before I start to wax poetic... and nobody likes to see that:eek: DD

Now I think I get it, two separate trains.

Well then if my parents want to stick with the grandkids they will all do the longer train ride. How long is the stop if you are returning by train? I read about Caribou Crossing, does that require the bus return?

I'm not sure what "stop" you are referring to, as there are no stops on the roundtrip train. Caribou Crossing is in the Yukon. If you want to do a rail/bus combo tour there, that takes 7 hours with Chilkoot Charters. They also offer a 3.5-hour rail/bus combo that just goes to Fraser, BC (a few miles past the White Pass Summit) and back to Skagway. The stop in Fraser to change from train to bus (or the reverse) is minimal - as there's nothing to do there.

You could also rent a car in Skagway and meet those taking the train one-way to Fraser.

Question about this Nancy. This would be perfect for my family as I don't think I can do the White Pass Railroad but everyone else wants to do it. I had originally planned to go pick up our rental car (and a picnic lunch etc) while they did they railroad and then pick them up when they got back and book it to Canada. How would I sign them up to do the train one-way to Fraser. Is there a website to book the one-way train directly? Or could this be done through the cruiseline like the roundtrip?

Question about this Nancy. This would be perfect for my family as I don't think I can do the White Pass Railroad but everyone else wants to do it. I had originally planned to go pick up our rental car (and a picnic lunch etc) while they did they railroad and then pick them up when they got back and book it to Canada. How would I sign them up to do the train one-way to Fraser. Is there a website to book the one-way train directly? Or could this be done through the cruiseline like the roundtrip?

It looks like you can book the one-way train to Fraser directly with the railroad (scroll down to "Fraser Service"): http://www.wpyr.com/schedule.html

First question, first answer! The train which goes on through to Carcross can be ridden both ways for the truly train buffs among us!?!? Most people do the train bus thing when they go to Carcross this way in order to see maximum scenery!

Most people do the train bus thing to Carcross because they aren't spending 2 days in Skagway! You would have to spend the night in Carcross or Skagway (depending on where you start) to take the train both ways. The northbound train leaves Skagway at 7:45 a.m. and arrives in Carcross at 2:00 p.m. The southbound train leaves Carcross at 10:30 a.m. and arrives in Skagway at 4:30 p.m.

Several of us have mentioned Chilkoot Charters for rail/bus excursions in Skagway. Dyea Dave also does tours in the area and has a nice web site. DD - I tried to post the link, but the powers that be at CC have ***'d out your name!

Thanks especially to you, Nancy Il.! You seem to be one of those rare impartials of good cheer, on this forum, who favors getting out all of the truth, and I applaude you for that!

The web site is brand new after twenty years here, doing what I do, and one of my many happy customers from the past was trying to help me figure out how to find and access said web site and they did a trial post on here and got the same rebuke, so please, to all of my friends (both of you!) do not attempt this...Google is more impartial!?!? I remain computer challenged, but we still welcome all visitors to our friendly state! Thanks to all who come here, however you may travel! DD

NancyIL did indeed give you the right e-mail address. That is where I booked from. You can book all kinds of trips on their trains via this website (e.g. hiking drop offs, one-ways, etc.). They show on there the difference in where you board vs. walking across the dock from the ship.

We have an 18 month old, that I'm not interested in taking on the train. The rest of the party is going to take the train one way Skagway to Fraser (8 am - 10 am). I will p/u rental car, picnic, and pick them up at Fraser. Then we'll do some exploring and drive back to Skagway. If some in your party want to return from Skagway by train it departs Fraser at 10:20 and returns to Skagway at 12:00.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, it's the same route, but it goes 8 miles further. This translates to 4 hours and 56 miles roundtrip vs. 3 hours and 40 miles roundtrip.

If car rental is not an option (i.e. number of people), then one of the tours mentioned by NancyIL should do the trick.

Archived