Just off the Conquest with 14 month old

jam82

Did your child have a sign & sail card? If so, were you required to actually put any money on it? Also, how did you handle tipping for your 14 month old? Did you ever use Camp Carnival and if so, what was your opinion of it?

We are sailing in September on the Conquest with our children - DS will be less than a month from turning 6 and DD will be 3. This will be their first cruise and we really have no idea what to expect! Thanks for your input!!

Honestly, we had a great time. It was not as relaxing as if it was just my husband and myself, but it was still relaxing. If you have family going, I'm sure that will help. Our son sailed for the first time at 11 months, since that went well, we booked another one.

He usually took a 30 minute nap in his stoller around 11am while we were eating or sitting by the pool, and then he took another nap in his crib from 4-5:30 while we hung out on the balcony. We used Camp Carnival for babysitting. We felt they did a good job. I tipped them as we went along. He travels well and for the most part is a very happy baby. We ate dinner in the dining room every night, and he sat and ate with us without a fuss like he does at home. He did start crying one night at dinner so I picked him up and left. Luckily he didn't start until we had finished eating, but I had to skip dessert.

He had his own sign and sail card. Everyone has to have their own card. He needed that to get on and off the ship. When I filled out my cruise documents I gave them my credit card number. He was listed on the acccount, but I don't think I actually had to put money up for him.

As far as tipping goes, Carnival does not automatically bill the tips ($70 a week) for an infant. I found this odd since they charge the regular passenger fare. With this in mind, we gave our waitstaff in cash what they would have received from the automatic tipping and then a little bit more for going out of their way. We did the same for the cabin attendant.

That is good to know about the tipping. We'll be on NCL Dawn in 11 days with our 13 month old. I'm sure staff (waiters and room steward in particular) will be earning a tip from him! DS is a good traveller too and never a problem in a restaurant.

My question is about your excursions... what did you do? We are planning mostly beach trips. If you tendered, did you use a life jacket for your DS? We have one that we can bring that we use on my Dad's boat.

What toys were a must to bring with you? Any other tips for must-bring items besides the obvious? I have a pretty extensive packing list that I created so want to make sure I'm all set. Also, anything you brought that you felt you could have left at home?

Thanks so much! The closer the time comes, the more excited AND nervous I become!

We booked morning excursions, used the babysitting service, and then had family time in the afternoons. We did both car and beach tours. We brought a lifejacket for the tenders. At first I wasn't going to bring it, but I'm glad I did. Of course we also brought a car seat so the life jacket was easy to pack compared to that.

As far as toys go, we kept them to a minimum: one stuffed animal, stacking cups, a few blocks, one car, and three books. These seemed to be more than enough as we weren't in the room that much.

The only other tips are things I learned from other posters:

1. Bring an over the door mesh shoe hanger for the bathroom door to organize things.

2. Pack each outfit in a zip lock and label it by day, port, formal night, ect. (This was the best tip ever. Many thanks to whoever thought of this. I'm sorry I can't remember so I can give them the credit they deserve.)

3. Bring plenty of zip locks. I used them from everything from food to dirty diapers.

4. Bring baby meds. I didn't need them, but I was still glad to have them.

Have a great cruise.

We are sailing in September on the Conquest with our children - DS will be less than a month from turning 6 and DD will be 3. This will be their first cruise and we really have no idea what to expect! Thanks for your input!!

Our DS was 5 when we were on Conquest, and he loved it. He loved the waterslide and all the soft-serve ice cream. He liked Camp Carnival quite a bit. Your kids shoudl be in the same group, so they should be fine. They do arts & crafts, watch movies, play, sing songs, and have a talent show.

Thanks for all this information. We'll be travelling with our, will then be, 20 month old, in August, and this will all be useful.

This may seem like a silly question, but how did it work for needing milk for your little one? Hopefully by then our little guy will be totally on sippy cups. Did you find it a challenge to keep that kind of stuff clean?

Thanks for all this information. We'll be travelling with our, will then be, 20 month old, in August, and this will all be useful.

This may seem like a silly question, but how did it work for needing milk for your little one? Hopefully by then our little guy will be totally on sippy cups. Did you find it a challenge to keep that kind of stuff clean?

I haven't cruised yet but wanted to try to help. From what research I have done, people suggest to stock up on milk from the buffet and room service and keep it in your fridge. I am packing a small bottle of dish detergent and sponge so I can clean his sippy cups. I also plan to bring those disposable take and toss cups and utensils and plan to leave them there. DS likes those cups just fine. I'll bring bottled water for excursions and milk for on board so I don't have to worry about keeping it cold. Sounds like our little guys are about the same age. DS is 13 months tomorrow.

They are quite close in age! So you can tell me everything you learn on your upcoming trip and then pass on your knowledge :) I'd also love to hear about being in the aft suite - sounds fantastic!

I think the disposable sippys are a good idea. Water is easy. The lady who helped me at Celebrity said you can have milk delivered, warmed, by room service, so that's a good back up. I don't know if our rooms come with a fridge or not.

Honestly, we had a great time. It was not as relaxing as if it was just my husband and myself, but it was still relaxing. If you have family going, I'm sure that will help. Our son sailed for the first time at 11 months, since that went well, we booked another one.

He usually took a 30 minute nap in his stoller around 11am while we were eating or sitting by the pool, and then he took another nap in his crib from 4-5:30 while we hung out on the balcony. We used Camp Carnival for babysitting. We felt they did a good job. I tipped them as we went along. He travels well and for the most part is a very happy baby. We ate dinner in the dining room every night, and he sat and ate with us without a fuss like he does at home. He did start crying one night at dinner so I picked him up and left. Luckily he didn't start until we had finished eating, but I had to skip dessert.

He had his own sign and sail card. Everyone has to have their own card. He needed that to get on and off the ship. When I filled out my cruise documents I gave them my credit card number. He was listed on the acccount, but I don't think I actually had to put money up for him.

As far as tipping goes, Carnival does not automatically bill the tips ($70 a week) for an infant. I found this odd since they charge the regular passenger fare. With this in mind, we gave our waitstaff in cash what they would have received from the automatic tipping and then a little bit more for going out of their way. We did the same for the cabin attendant.

we were told infants would be charged the same as adults. we will have children. one will be 5 months old they other four are 2 4 3 4 ta said to have them remove the 5 month olds tips right away

Archived