dine ashore program

musicgirl63

I called NCL 3 days ago and inquired about the program. I was told that the program was "discontinued". I'm hoping that I was misinformed. I actaully called looking for information about receiving luggage tags, etc. for our cruise in May. NCL told me that they do not send them because I booked through TA and that TA may send them. I called TA and was told that they would not send them either. Yesterday I got luggage tags, a pamphlet, letter, etc. via USPS directly from NCL. So...as I stated above, hopefully I was only misinformed about the Dine Ashore Program as well.

Same thing happened to me when I inquired about the luggage tags, but I did get them :) My agent did not know anything about the Dine Ashore program so put me on hold and checked. She said it had been discontinued but was going back into effect. Since then, say 3 weeks ago, other posters have been told it is discontinued. So I wrote to some restaurants.

I have posted this on another thread, as well, to get the word out.

Here's a reply today from the Frog & Onion

Greetings from the Frog & Onion....

Well it's Like this....the basic answer is the programme as it was in the

past with a voucher is gone.

In it's place we understand is a brochure with recommended

restaurants....???

We do want you to know that we are here and ready to welcome you on your visit to Dockyard...

Looking forward to seeing you....don't forget 'take the Ferry'

Maybe NCL's legal staff nixed the idea for similar reasons...

No a company can set what it will pay without violating any law. Its only when it works in concert with someone to set a rate that it is a problem so a company having an internal discussion is not in violation ...two restuarants agreeing that they will not participate in a program unless they are paid x is a violation because they acted in concert to fix a rate...its why the AMA can't tell the doctors to only sign contracts with insurance companies who pay x or more...

interesting in the US a request to boycott unless prices are increased by a trade organization is an anti-trust violation...and a criminal one at that....and I am sure of that. I once had an investigation started against a podiatric association which tried the same thing and it ended in a consent decree...

Two things to think about

1) Bermuda is not the US and do we know the laws there? I don't.

2) There probably IS a trade organization of sorts for the restaurants and that's why they can collectively decide not to accept a $5 voucher for a $25 meal. The number of participating restaurants decreased each year. Does that tell us that it is NOT a collective agreement, but a voluntary one? (sounds exactly like restaurant.com where you buy a voucher). It would be interesting to know how NCL reached the older agreements, and if it was considered a contract for a specified period of time. It's my guess that it was since some dropped out season after season. It was good while it lasted, though. (for us cruisers)

Legal or not by US standards, at present there is no voucher system for NCL passengers to use in Bermuda restaurants.

Two things to think about

1) Bermuda is not the US and do we know the laws there? I don't.

2) There probably IS a trade organization of sorts for the restaurants and that's why they can collectively decide not to accept a $5 voucher for a $25 meal. The number of participating restaurants decreased each year. Does that tell us that it is NOT a collective agreement, but a voluntary one? (sounds exactly like restaurant.com where you buy a voucher). It would be interesting to know how NCL reached the older agreements, and if it was considered a contract for a specified period of time. It's my guess that it was since some dropped out season after season. It was good while it lasted, though. (for us cruisers)

Legal or not by US standards, at present there is no voucher system for NCL passengers to use in Bermuda restaurants.

English anti trust law is similar to US law. Bermuda law on antitrust issues is more confusing. A trade organization can't "suggest" it either and a set amount suggested voluntarily is no more legal than a mandatory one. Restaurants .com merely gives you a discount coupon not a set fee for what the meal costs and there is no agreement on setting prices by the restuarant only accepting a coupon...its really not the same. In any case NCL probably wouldn't sue on it doesn't need the bad publicity but you can complain to the Bermuda government if you want.

I'm sailing to Bermuda on the Dawn in June. I was really looking forward to taking advantage of the savings so we didn't feel like we'd need to go back to the ship just to eat. I'm sure we'll still eat out on the island during the day...but would be nice to save some $$!

I believe the 1st cruise doing a longer stay is leaving tomorrow. So hopefully they will have some info for us.

From the old dine ashore brochure, you only got to use the program 1 time during the cruise.

Can we take a lunch with us from the ship? I know some people on cruises order room service for the morning and then pack a lunch. They brought along zip lock bags for ice to keep it cool.

[quote name=musicgirl63;14315551

Can we take a lunch with us from the ship? I know some people on cruises order room service for the morning and then pack a lunch. They brought along zip lock bags for ice to keep it cool.

Cannot take lunch from the ship. You can' date=' however, take prepackaged things like snack crackers, power bars, etc. Do not try that banana, or any other fruit, from breakfast. ;)

Cannot take lunch from the ship. You can, however, take prepackaged things like snack crackers, power bars, etc. Do not try that banana, or any other fruit, from breakfast. ;)

Thanks, I knew about the fruit. Something about fruit flies?????

• 3 weeks later...

So has anyone recently sailed on NCL to Bermuda and gotten the scoop on the Dine Ashore program. What are they saying on the ship to all these passengers that were "sold" on the Dine Ashore program when booking??

I seem to recall that the first cruises from the 2007 season did not have the dine ashore program, and then eventually it was instituted. We cruised in July and we were able to take advantage of the program.:D Maybe someone could do a search of what happened last season to confirm.

I seem to recall that the first cruises from the 2007 season did not have the dine ashore program, and then eventually it was instituted. We cruised in July and we were able to take advantage of the program.:D Maybe someone could do a search of what happened last season to confirm.

Even though this may have been the case last year, it seems there's something different going on this year. Last year it may just have taken some time to get it up an running but if you read post#23, NCL and the restaurants can't agree on fair compensation. If the two can come up with an agreement, it's still possible.

We're not going until late Sept. so if they can agree, surely it would be in place by then.:)

Even though this may have been the case last year, it seems there's something different going on this year. Last year it may just have taken some time to get it up an running but if you read post#23, NCL and the restaurants can't agree on fair compensation. If the two can come up with an agreement, it's still possible.

We're not going until late Sept. so if they can agree, surely it would be in place by then.:)

Post #23 has a link to the 2006 Annual report. Wouldn't it be the 2007 Annual report if they are talking about THIS season 2008? :confused: I think I am missing something.

Someone who just cruised to Bermuda posted in their review that they were definitely doing away with the program. They had asked about it on the ship.

It hasn't been announced through their pressroom site, but then again perhaps that don't want that to be a well known piece of info considering they talked about it in the big announcement with their contract with Bermuda.

We just got back Sunday from the Dawn to Bermuda. No more Dine Ashore. They do give you a brochure listing various restaurants on the island.

If you stop by the visitor's center you can pick up all sorts of maps, things to do booklets, etc., and there were several coupons in there for free drinks with meals, and discounts at restaurants and shops.

We just got back Sunday from the Dawn to Bermuda. No more Dine Ashore. They do give you a brochure listing various restaurants on the island.

If you stop by the visitor's center you can pick up all sorts of maps, things to do booklets, etc., and there were several coupons in there for free drinks with meals, and discounts at restaurants and shops.

Did they mention specifically if the program was gone for good?

Archived