Standby Cruising?

p0mpey

Has anyone booked a cruise very close to the date of departure and got a good rate?

My friend and I are very quickly (too quickly) approaching our 50th birthdays. We would like to celebrate them on a cruise. However we have to convincre the DH's that we can't do that anywhere else but on the Lido Deck in the middle of the ocean. The best way to convince them is to get a very good rate. One they can't refuse! It will be her (and DH) first ever cruise and our second.

Fortunately we can be very flexible. Our only request is to go south to the Caribbean. As we both work for an airline we can fly to any of the ports (even SJU) with little notice and the week we go, can also be flexible, although we are looking at the end of Oct/beginning of Nov. A slow time we thought for the cruise lines.

Has anyone had success with waiting until the last minute before booking? One would think the CL would rather fill a cabin than have it go empty. Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

I've done it also but you don't always get good prices. One time I booked the very last two staterooms on the ship and paid the same price as a suite, and it was only an oceanview. I had to take it because it was the only time my dad and wife could go and it was a gift to them. It was their first cruise and they loved it....:)

I went on a wait list for paradise sept 20 04 cruise.

I put $1,000 deposit on a credit card.

I thought there HAD to be some no- shows.

But if someone doesn't show up,

they can still get onboard at the next port of call.

So they will only let you on board if there are

cancellations, not no shows.

Just a comment. It seems that many November cruises are getting close to sold out. Our ship was sold out almost 60 days out for our trip on 11/4/04. It seemed that it sold out after some of those cancelled cruises due to earlier hurricanes, although I don't know that for a fact.

Archived