Eurodam, Crown Princess or Disney with Multigenerations?

roxannex

Okay, cruise experts. Help me out, please! :)

We'd like to plan a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise for next December (We've done western and want to do different ports). Our son will just have turned 3. The other passengers are me, my husband, my 65 year old mom and 87 year old grandma. (She's a spitfire who exercises every day.) We'll do separate cabins.

The obvious choice was Disney and my son is a huge Mickey fan, but he's been to Disneyworld and we love Disney so he will go again for sure. The big negative for Disney was price. It's so expensive compared to some of the other lines. The positive is that it's so family friendly and I know the entertainment will be great.

The other two ships we're considering are the Holland Eurodam, which I know is new and the Princess Crown Princess.

It seems like Holland American caters to an older group of passengers, but the Crown Princess seems to have really good reviews, and I like the scholarship at sea program. My husband and I took a Royal Caribbean cruise and it was a little too "active" for us. We're geeks. We also like to eat good food. We thought the Royal Caribbean food was really bad.

What do you think? Is Disney worth the extra money or would be better off with another less expensive line? We do like the most luxury for our buck (we'd consider Celebrity but the times didn't work out). Crystal is out of the budget and we do have a 3 year old. Anyone know how family friendly Princess and Holland America are?

Thanks for reading!

Roxanne

We've been on Princess (sorry not the Crown) with my 2 DS. They were in the 8-12 YO kids camp and loved it. I think that Princess would be worth the try for your family as they seem to have a bit for everyone, IMO.

Thanks. :) After looking at everything, I'm leaning toward the Crown Princess. We can get a mini-suite for quite a bit less than an oceanview stateroom on the Magic. I know that you aren't in your room that much, but every inch helps with a toddler.

I'll talk to my mom and see what she things, but I think we might skip the "magic" on this one. :)

Anytime we have been in port with a Disney ship we always docked on Princess and Disney ran tenders. I would be so mad if I paid all that extra money they charge and then had to tender into port.

I don't think having to tender figures into what you pay for a cruise. Some of the cheapest ships tender and many of the real expensive ships tender. It doesn't connote a negative feature of any cruise line, nor does it reflect cost. I was on Golden and Grand and we had to tender on both ships.

To the OP, I don't think you couldn't go wrong with Princess. Their food is really quite good. The upside of Disney is that they do all things Disney, which is a really great job with kids. I also liked the change of dining rooms every night. That part was really fun. But for the money, Princess does a nice job.

Thanks for the replies! After my last post I went back and forth and back and forth again!!!!! :) I can't decide and my mom and husband aren't helping. LOL.

I just don't know whether I'd rather have Disney magic in an inside cabin or a mini-suite on Princess. Cause I am not paying 4,000 for a balcony on Disney when I can get a balcony on Princess for 2,000-2,5000.

that's a tough call. I have yet to sail on Holland America so can't comment. I have sailed on Sapphire Princess, which is very similar to the Crown and it wasn't my favorite. The only thing I really liked about Princess is they have fresh water pools, which the other lines don't.

Disney would be wonderful for the three year old- there is the Mickey Mouse pool and slide- a huge hit with my then 5 year old.

The cabins are spacious. Disney was not my favorite though.

Frankly, I'd stick with Celebrity (I know-everyone knows they are my favorite!). It would be great for the older folks and the Fun Factory is FANTASTIC! Wonderful staff, indoor climbing frame with slide, ballpit, leap frog games, arts and crafts, scavenger hunt, talent shows, science projects, theme days, kids buffet dinner each night.

I have done Princess and Disney and just think Celebrity would be better than any of the lines you mentioned. Holland's program is much more limited than Celebrity.

Actually, Celebrity would have been my choice over Princess or Holland America but there weren't any 7 night eastern caribbean cruises during that time period. :) I have really wanted to go on a Celebrity cruise!

I think we're going with Disney. After looking at all the entertainment options listed at various sites, they got me pretty excited. I think it would be the most fun for our child and we get so much enjoyment out of watching him enjoy himself. Plus....there are still adults only options! I'm a little bummed about having get an inside cabin, but I just can't justify spending 2,000 more for a balcony. We could take another vacation for that money (and maybe we will!!!!!). :)

I'd say that if you can find a Celebrity cruise that fits into your schedual, book it. If you don't mind a medium sized ship, Century offers 5-night cruises. I think some might be in the Eastern Caribbean. Also, if five nights isn't enough you could always try to get a nice deal and book a B2B for 10 nights. But keep in mind the cabins are smaller and the nightlife on this ship isn't very...nightlife-ish.

On this ship in general, they have suprisingly comprehensive programs and facilities for kids. On my Century cruise, it looked like there was a good size group of younger kids onboard. They really looked like they were having a blast. Some nights I saw families who couldn't get their kids to leave the Fun Factory to go to dinner. For teenagers, there were only 8 of us onboard, so the relatively large teen club seemed like wasted space. We usually just met up there and than left an hour or two later to do something else.

Not to mention, Celebrity is known for their staff/service and food. Also, their ships don't have much of a loud/party atmosphere like many of the other mainstream ships. So that might be something that older people in your group might like.

If you can go with Celebrity, try to book Concierge Class. The extra perks are great (Especially the priority tendering). Even without the priority tendering, the cold towls they pass out while you're waiting to catch a tender are great.

I know you are going back and forth on which multi-generational cruise.....

I love Disney and had a good time on Princess. My favorite is Celebrity. Getting ready to take my very first cruise on Holland America with my 4 year old son. Just taking a 3 day to try it out. Holland America just changed their kids program to try to be more in line with the "multi-generational" family that wants to cruise. We will see how it goes. We sail April 19th.

One word of advice on Disney.... seems like every time we looked into Disney the only dining time available was late seating. Not something we wanted to do with our 4 year old. And their alternative dinners were limited.

I did love the flexible seating times on Princess....and I loved the themes of Disney..... however if I were taking a large group, with Grandparents.... I would try Princess/RCCL/NCL/Celebrity. There is just so much more flexibility with dinners/options. And little kids are unpredictable.... so it is nice to have other options as far as when/where to eat.....

Also.. entertainment..... I loved the Disney productions each night.... but your whole family will have more options on the other cruise lines. I just think the other lines can meet the needs of everyone a little better.

Archived