Tipping Guides at Dunns River Falls

disneyfreak

I was reading on the RC board that people have been followed around by their guide at Dunns River Falls for MORE of a tip. How much is appropriate. I certainly don't want to insult anyone and I don't want to be followed around. How embarrassing!:confused:

When we went in Feb 08, and the guides were somewhat helpful, they helped my wife get up the falls. at the end I tipped the one guide who was helping her 5$. He was very happy with that.

Tip 1- when leaving exit through the entrance and you won't be bothered by the salespeople at the exit gate.

Tip 2 - Buy a waterproof disposable camera at Target. They are rough and tough and won't let you down!

Tip 3 - Have Fun! It's a great time!

Hi - we went in January and our tour guide was very good. He took great pictures with my camera and helped me along. When we got to the top, he gestured for tips and was holding a folded up $20.00 U.S. bill in his hand, as if to suggest that amount for a tip. I guess he had his reasons to do so but I felt it was a bit arrogant. I tipped him $10.00 and he did seem appreciative.

I was with my family of 5 and tipped $20 because he took pics with our camera and held my 6 year old daughters hand through a few rough spots. He was very aggressive about getting the tip as is everyone in Jamaica though. Didn't care for that.

Also, there is a video guy that will accompany your group through the falls and take video. They sell the video for $40 and it is ready to take home when you leave. I offered the guy $15 and left with one for $20 (of course I had to tip him too).

The guides do get VERY aggressive towards getting any money. I would only tip them IF they helped a-lot with pictures going up the falls often or something along those lines. If they didn't do any 'extras' for you then probably wouldn't tip.

If at all possible go out the entrance!!! We were not allowed to go out that way but forced to go out the way with the sales huts. They followed us out to the parking area demanding money!! :mad:

We also made the mistake of going into the sales huts. They will chase you into the parking lot for your money. Don't even go there. The falls guide and video guy were only slightly less aggressive. Really too bad.

Also, where else but a place like Jamaica would they build a freaking road over the beautiful falls?? You have to duck under a bridge on the way up!

Archived