Panama Canal Cruises

Brenda28

Hello. I am looking forward to graduating from college Dec. 2005 and was thinking about taking a cruise to Panama Canal out of Miami on the Brilliance of the Seas. Had a few questions I thought those with previous experience could answer.

1. How is that ship compared to the Rhapsody?

2. How is the weather during Jan., March or June? Is it too cold to enjoy it it Jan.?

3. Any info on the trips out of San Diego. I can't find any yet.

Any other observations or advice would be appreciated. :)

Hi,

I have not done my panama canal cruise yet, (Going in December,) However, I have been on both the Brilliance and Rhapsody, so I can make that comparison.

Hands down, The Brilliance has the Rhapsody Beat in my book. It offers so much more! Mini golf, a lot more decor (Especially the solarium), An additional No-Charge Resteraunt (Sea View cafe), Both portifino and Chops (20.00 Charge), more selection in the Windjammer, which is also larger. You can also walk all the way up to the front of the ship to the point, where on the Rhapsody it is for crew only.

The only thing I did not like as much about the Brilliance, is that it only has 3 hot tubs compared to 6 on the Rhapsody. (In my opinion that is the only thing that the Rhapsody has over the Brilliance!)

Take a look at some pictures of the ship at www.webshots.com and do a search under the search category.

I hope that helped! If you have any more questions about the ship, please feel free to ask!

Scott

We're doing the Panama canal cruise on the Legend in March and I've been told that the weather is fine, nice and sunny. We were on the Brilliance earlier this year and it's my new favorite ship. Just gorgeous, with great service and I really enjoyed all the food. Here is a link to a web cam of the port in San Diego.

http://live6.truelook.com/face/newface.jsp?func=live&name=/ecodb/sandiego/oneamerica2&pan=-101.4993&tilt=-12.980684&panfov=7.408085&tiltfov=5.774182&overlay=default&skin=default&useapplet=true&time=1090936957963&width=640&height=480&quality=60&catalogname=catalog&imagemap.x=-278&imagemap.y=-208&imagemap.w=1197&imagemap.h=897

Do what? Of course the Legend is doing the Panama Canal in 05 from San Diego. In January, February and March. I have the brochure in front of me. I'm booked on the 3/27/05 from San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale via the canal, two week cruise. Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say?

If you are reading the Origional posters notes, they state they are looking at December 2005. Fall 05-spring 06, the legend will NOT be doing Panama, it will be doing Tampa to Grand Cayman, Belieze, Costa Maya, and Cozumel.

At which time you will either have the brilliance 1/2 way thru the canal, or you will have to do a spring or fall repositioning cruise to get the whole way thru the canal.

Scott

We did the partial transit on the Splendour February 4,2004. The weather was very warm, in fact I got sunburned that day, I was in my swimsuit. If you notice the ships don't sail the Panama Canal during the summer months as it is too hot. We had wonderful weather and no rain. The next time through I want to do the full transit. You might want to take a cheap rain poncho so you don't get wet if it rains. Be sure to bring your camera....... we stayed on the ship both ways. It was just as interesting going back down from Gatun Lake as it was going up to it. We were directly across from the Brilliance in one of the locks. She is beautiful, in fact I will be sailing on her in 120 days.:D

If you are reading the Origional posters notes, they state they are looking at December 2005. Fall 05-spring 06, the legend will NOT be doing Panama, it will be doing Tampa to Grand Cayman, Belieze, Costa Maya, and Cozumel.

At which time you will either have the brilliance 1/2 way thru the canal, or you will have to do a spring or fall repositioning cruise to get the whole way thru the canal.

Scott

Hon, if you'll read the original post, they say they are interested in Jan, March or June, not Dec. They are graduating in Dec but asked about the weather during Jan, March and June. The Legend IS cruising during those months.

Archived