Last sailing before ending an itinerary – Good or Bad?

Traveller94

I’m currently booked on the Tahitian Princess for the December 9th sailing. This is the last sailing before Princess pulls out of Tahiti. Here’s my question – Will that fact make this a great cruise because of a bon voyage celebratory attitude, or will it make it a bad cruise because the staff and tour operators are bitter about Princess leaving? Has anyone been in a similar situation? Should I stay with Dec 9 and plan on a great sailing, or change to Nov 29?

Frankly, changing to the second to last cruise probably won't make a bit of difference to the ship's personal or the shore vendors. Everyone knows the ship is leaving so I would think, if there are any bad feelings, they would have dissipated long before then.

Enjoy the cruise and the ports and consider yourself lucky to have seen one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I don't think it will make any difference when you go. On my Feb 2007 TP cruise, the crew and the local tour operators already knew that the ship was leaving. The native Polynesians were very sad as their small family-run operations brought in needed income for them, and many of them enjoyed meeting people from another part of the world. The French are rarely happy to see tourists, but the Polynesians are very welcoming. I'm glad I went as I the TP was the only way I could afford to see these incredible places.

It should not make any difference at all.

We were on the last sailing of the Sky Princess, before she transferred to P&O (Aus), way back in 9-00, San Francisco to Sydney Australia. The ship has subsequently been sold to Pullmantur of Spain.

We received the usual good/very good service/food we have come to expect on a Princess ship, and had a wonderful cruise (great itinerary, and a WWII Battlegrounds trip to boot!).

Like the others said, it shouldn't make any difference. We were on the "old" Royal Princess from Manaus to Rome three years ago just before she was turned over to P&O. I didn't notice any differences but there were some great buys on things from the shops. Several years ago, we were on the Regal Princess on her last HI sailing before heading to Alaska. There were some fabulous bargains: I bought several Russian lacquer boxes that go for $000's if not $0000's in the U.S. for about 75% - 90% off. I've collected them for years (decades) and was thrilled that no one appreciated what they were and passed them by.

Thanks, everyone! That makes me feel a lot better about it. As dot73 said, I really want to go while there's still an affordable option, but didn't want the trip ruined by bad feelings from the staff and locals. Based on all your experiences, it sounds like I won't have to worry about it.

Thanks, again!

Archived