Pet Freindly Cruises?

jayneoliz

Hi again,

To clarify, my point that loving one's pet (or child, or spouse, or freinds, etc) makes the world a better place wasnt intended to suggest that the relationship between the two was a clear and direct one. Rather, my assertation is that putting love "out there" indirectly does make the world better for all of us and I stand by it.

I think that dismissing the idea that love's impact makes a hard stop with the object of that affection is simplistic. I believe that loving and being loved changes the attitudes and actions of beings for the better and not mearly in terms of one particular relationship. Is this making any sense? Think along the lines of Pay It Forward and you'll understand my philosophy on this.

Thanks for the "Parrot Association" info. I've checked and there isn't one around us, darnit! I rather suspected that -- we live in a small town in Alberta, and I think I already know 50% (at least!!) of the bird people.

As for the world being a better place because someone loves a pet: The person in the relationship is DEFINITELY a better person because of the love. That change in the person is carried by the person throughout their lives, into every interaction. So of course the world is a better place because people love their pets.

(And if we could, we would be taking Buddy-Bird cruising, to save him the trauma of unfamiliar caregivers. The dog and psycho-kitty are better off at home or kennelled)

There is no grass on a ship! It's also very crowded. Assisted living dogs go on cruises to help their owners. The owners don't take them for their sake.:)

I have to agree that taking a pet along on a cruise with the thought that you were doing it out of love doesn't make much sense to me.

Some pet friendly vacations I can think of is camping, a beach house, or just a local park.

There is no grass on a ship! It's also very crowded. Assisted living dogs go on cruises to help their owners. The owners don't take them for their sake.:)

Not true, Celebrity just came out with Solstice (grass on the top deck) and rumors are saying RCCL Genesis class will have real grass. LOL! :D

Gives a new name to the poop deck. :eek: :p

Since when did this become about who's dirtier - pets or kids? I have both and can tell you that the answer to that could change on any given day of the week!

Look I love our pets and I think it's great that people love and enjoy their pets. However, with the exception of service dogs I do have to agree that cruise ships are probably not the best option for a pet friendly vacation. I don't think anyone here is jumping on you for loving your pet, I think most people are just saying they don't see a good fit for pets on a cruise ship. It really isn't practical.

Cruise ships will make accomodations for service animals, but it does require a lot of extra work on the part of the crew. We spoke to a couple that had their dog on our last cruise and discovered that the crew brought fresh sod boxes for their balconies each day for the dog and removed the soiled ones. The cabin did require special cleaning and sanitizing due to potential allergies that subsequent passengers might have.

Given the amount of extra work involved I doubt it would be realistic for a cruiseline to start a pet friendly travel option for those who just wanted to bring their pets along.

As much as we love to travel, we hate leaving "the girls" behind, but we are also fortunate in that they love going to "camp grandma/grandpa" and running on their three acres and getting spoiled with treats. We know how lucky we (and they) are.

We are never sad at the end of our vacation, because we know the tornado of tail wagging and face licking that awaits us.

OUr girls love to go anywhere with us - I suspect the poster that asks "how do you know?" doesn't have a dog - because you DO know.

It makes sense that traditional cruises are not a place for dogs because of the other passengers who may not love them as we do, and yes, for the dogs themselves, as the cabin would be fine for them, as long as we planned to stay in there with them.

I do however, fantasize about "PCL" - a specialty cruise -designed for people who love them as we do, it could be outfitted with dog runs and grass, fire hydrants! Along with your passport, you woudl need proof that the doggies are up to date on their shots.

I love my dogs, I love all dogs (all animals) ! BUt i wouldn't expect everyone on a cruise to feel the same.

As much as we love to travel, we hate leaving "the girls" behind, but we are also fortunate in that they love going to "camp grandma/grandpa" and running on their three acres and getting spoiled with treats. We know how lucky we (and they) are.

We are never sad at the end of our vacation, because we know the tornado of tail wagging and face licking that awaits us.

OUr girls love to go anywhere with us - I suspect the poster that asks "how do you know?" doesn't have a dog - because you DO know.

It makes sense that traditional cruises are not a place for dogs because of the other passengers who may not love them as we do, and yes, for the dogs themselves, as the cabin would be fine for them, as long as we planned to stay in there with them.

I do however, fantasize about "PCL" - a specialty cruise -designed for people who love them as we do, it could be outfitted with dog runs and grass, fire hydrants! Along with your passport, you woudl need proof that the doggies are up to date on their shots.

I love my dogs, I love all dogs (all animals) ! BUt i wouldn't expect everyone on a cruise to feel the same.

They say that the love one has for their pets is one of true unconditional love.

Archived