Hawaii - Best dive on this itinerary

mielyse

My step-son and his new bride are going on a cruise around Hawaii for their honeymoon and want to dive at two locations on their cruise. What are the two best dive locations on this itinerary?

Honolulu

Hilo

Maui (Kahului)

Kona

Kauai (Nawiliwili)

Thanks for the help!!!

I went diving in Honolulu and Maui on my past cruise. Honolulu was good. I'm sure Maui is good but I was with a ship sponsored excursion and we were taken to very mediocre dive spots. But I know there are better spots. And my Maui snorkeling was better than the diving. Also, I'm sure Kona would be good as my snorkeling was spectaular... I would recommend those 3 ports......

Kona rocks. There are a bazillion dive ops, but my best advice is go to Jack's in town to rent whatever you need, then head down to Place of Refuge for some great shore diving.

Dale

PADI OWSI

While that is good advice for someone on a land vacation there, it is practical for a cruiser?

I would probably opt for Honolulu and Kona. Lots of wrecks can be had on the dives in Honolulu and the boats don't go out too early, usually meeting about 9AM.

In Maui, due to the daily trade-winds, boats usually leave for their dives at 6AM and are back by about noon-1PM.

We just did that itinerary and dove the 2nd day in Maui (correct in that the dives leave too early in Maui due to trade winds to catch the first day's dive). We went to Molokini crater and really enjoyed it.

The next day we dove and Kona and saw even more. We loved these two dive spots. We used Mike Severns in Maui and Jack's Dive Locker in Kona.

While that is good advice for someone on a land vacation there, it is practical for a cruiser?

Sure, the ship drops anchor right in the harbor, it's an easy walk to Jack's, amd they even had a van to drive you around. If nothing else, book a boat yourself and save a buncha cash vs. what the ship charges.

Are you going to dock overnight in Kona? If so, try to get on a Manta Ray dive. We did a two-tank twilight/night Manta Ray dive with Kona Honu Divers. It was incredible :D Snorkelers can go along too! There's a video on their website: (scroll down) http://www.konahonudivers.com/mantaray.shtm

Archived