Swim shirts ??

noahsark99

I bought a swim shirt from Target ($10) for my 9 year old son....has anyone ever used these before? He got sun poisoning two cruises ago and I'm hoping this swim shirt will help prevent it.

I'm wondering if you kids minded wearing them...are they uncomfortable...do they dry fairly quickly? Anything you can tell me would be great! I bought just a plain white one so it would go with anything, but here's a picture in case anyone is wondering what I'm talking about! THANKS so much!! 41F0Zc0eMjL._SS260_.jpg

My son and daughter wear them all the time and love them. I buy them a little big, just so that they are easier to get off - they get clingy when wet! My other daughter doesn't care for them, but she tans easily... the other two burn to a crisp, even with sunscreen!

Old Navy sells them too, sometimes cheaper than Target!

These shirts were first marketed as "rash guards" to be worn when boogie boarding to avoid the tummy rash from the sand getting between the belly and the board--but I believe they were originally developed to be worn under wet suits--again to protect from rash. I always used to buy them in Surf Shops.

Check the tags on the shirt--all the ones I ever bought had an SPF on them. My kids wore these since they were little--they even had little ones that were just like short wetsuits--all one piece with short sleeves and legs (knee length). I have even seen them now with a little lifevest built in. They dry very quick.

My son, who is now 20, is very fair and hates the sun--he owns several of them still and most of his are long sleeved!! We only had an issue once--at a public pool in Florida, where they insisted he take it off to swim. They are meant to be very fitted, but like an earlier poster, I always bought them bigger for ease getting on and off.

Thanks for all your replies! I think the one I bought did have and SPF rating but I don't remember what it was...maybe 30?

I just may have to go out and pick up another one since you all say such positive things! Maybe Old Navy on my lunch hour... :)

Thanks again!!

Thanks for all your replies! I think the one I bought did have and SPF rating but I don't remember what it was...maybe 30?

I just may have to go out and pick up another one since you all say such positive things! Maybe Old Navy on my lunch hour... :)

Thanks again!!

I have been buying mine at Target. The prices range from $10 for a basic short sleeve to $20 for a fancy long sleeve (in men's sizes). The advantages are that being synthetic they do not soak up much water. This means they are not heavy when wet and that they dry fast. Also, unlike any sunscreen you rub on, these don't wash off when you go in the water.

I use them and so do my nephews.

I cant believe I have never heard of these before. I was in such a panic last Dec on our cruise for my boys. The one HATE putting sunscreen on. We are doing Disney this Nov. I hope to find them somewhere around my area. Cheap is a good thing to and for $10 Im really excited.

I cant find them at Target, Old Navy , any other places ?

I would definitely second everything said here about how great swim shirts are. One of the best things is that you don't have to hassle with putting on so much sunscreen over such large areas. And since enough people are wearing them (adults and kids), none of my kids have ever given me any grief about it.

Unless you need the super-high sun protection or have an odd size, I'd buy at Target or on sale at Old Navy. My nieces and nephews (who boat and swim 5 or 6 days a week all summer) wear theirs out in one summer. And at $10-12, they are a great buy (you'd spend that much in extra sunscreen over a summer!)

They are also great over snorkel vests or life vests to keep them from rubbing.

They are great for adults, too. My DH likes his because he burns easily and doesn't like showing off his white expanse of stomach. :o I wear mine mostly for snorkel/scuba.

So, my big project for next week's spring break is to see who's outgrown their swimwear and go replace it, plus new sandals. Here in AZ, we'll be wearing them very soon (it's supposed to be 85 today!)

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

I cant believe I have never heard of these before. I was in such a panic last Dec on our cruise for my boys. The one HATE putting sunscreen on. We are doing Disney this Nov. I hope to find them somewhere around my area. Cheap is a good thing to and for $10 Im really excited.

I cant find them at Target, Old Navy , any other places ?

Try this link ...

http://www.target.com/gp/search/602-3000210-2245464?field-keywords=swim+shirts&url=index%3Dtarget&ref=sr_bx_1_1&x=0&y=0

As someone else mentioned, LandsEnd has them as well. We use these as well as the popular water shoe they sell and they are wonderful! (As for cost, they aren't cheap but last as long as they fit...)

All four of us (DH, 7yo DS, 4yo DS & myself) wear them. They are especially great for snorkeling. I just bought the kids new ones at Target last week, but i live in Florida, so maybe they're not in stores yet in PA. I was excited to see them since they always sell out fast here. I bought the adult ones at Sports Authority for $20 each and I bought a kid one last year at a store (can't remember which one) that sold Quick Silver brand. I'd second to buy a bigger size because the head holes are a bit tight.

Archived