Hotwire or Priceline Success In Galveston?

LEtue

I want on Seawall and I was afraid I would get otherwise. I just feel like I have to be closer to the ocean, silly I know....

anybody else?

Not silly at all. I would prefer to be along the seawall too but since the beach is across the street anyway - I guess I could walk a block if the price was right. For my pre-cruise date the Holiday Inn is available on Hotwire (based on betterbidding.com). I'm booked at the Quality Inn for less right now but I'm hoping prices will drop as our sailing date gets closer :)

There are only a few 3 star hotels in Galveston so that narrows the field a bit ;)

Small cities like Galveston you cant even find information on them on betterbidding. I gave up when I was trying to book thru either hotwire or priceline and finally decided it was cheaper to book dirctly.

Someone said the best is to book thru Galveston.com.

Small cities like Galveston you cant even find information on them on betterbidding. I gave up when I was trying to book thru either hotwire or priceline and finally decided it was cheaper to book dirctly.

Someone said the best is to book thru Galveston.com.

Yes, galveston.com was lower on some hotels and for others I found a better rate by booking direct and using a AAA rate. Will see what turns up in the next couple of months...

We usually sail with a group, and our lead guy gets great rates (he's quite the schmoozer). He got us $65 for the Quality Inns & Suites, which was almost half of what it was going for. But Galveston.com does usually get really good rates too.

So, can you tell me about the Quality Inn & Suites? Was it nice and clean? I have never been to Galveston before so I would like to know a little about the area around it too...

Any advise is appreciated.

I am going on Conquest on July 6. I wanted one room for the night before (July 5). I bid on Priceline on March 4 for 2.5 and 3 stars, and got the Harbor House (2.5 stars) for $112 plus taxes and service charges. (Total $137)

I know it's probably pretty high but on Galveston.com they wanted $215 so I'm happy.

I was mainly worried about it being the July 4th weekend...you just never know. So that's why I bid for it four months early.

Try biddingfortravel.com.... some good bidding advice there and a list of which hotels Priceline seems to be using.

Hope that helps :cool:

I am going on Conquest on July 6. I wanted one room for the night before (July 5). I bid on Priceline on March 4 for 2.5 and 3 stars, and got the Harbor House (2.5 stars) for $112 plus taxes and service charges. (Total $137)

I know it's probably pretty high but on Galveston.com they wanted $215 so I'm happy.

I was mainly worried about it being the July 4th weekend...you just never know. So that's why I bid for it four months early.

Try biddingfortravel.com.... some good bidding advice there and a list of which hotels Priceline seems to be using.

Yes, I also use biddingfortravel which has been helpful. Unfortunately, there are only king rooms available for the weekend I need at the Harbor House so that isn't being offered anyway. Since we're traveling with kids I have to stick with the larger properties that have 2 bed - rooms still available. I'm bidding based on 4 adults and 2 children - this time ;) Problem is the 3 star properties that I can ID aren't much lower than what I can book direct for :(

So, can you tell me about the Quality Inn & Suites? Was it nice and clean? I have never been to Galveston before so I would like to know a little about the area around it too...

Any advise is appreciated.

It's a nice property and pretty new and clean. All the rooms have an ocean view if you are up high enough. Rooms are well appointed and it has an indoor pool. The breakfast is the typical continental breakfast, but I can't remember if it had the Belgian waffle makers (I don't think it did, but...). We had a queen/queen room, and it was big enough for the three of us (DS is almost 7). I would stay there again. There is another Quality Inn (without the suites), and we haven't stayed at that one.

That's a good deal. I've heard good things about Harbor House.

Has anyone ever stayed at Gaido's or Commodor on the Beach?

Both are on Sewall Boulevard with some rooms facing the Gulf of Mexico. Beach/Gulf is across the street. Have seen reports that Gaido's (which is next door to Gaido's Restaurant, perhaps the most famous eating spot in Galveston, and Casey's which is Gaido's casual restaurant) is clean and simple. I, frankly, wouldn't chose the Commodore. It is an older property and, from the exterior, appears to be quite dated. Others have, however, said it is okay.

It's a nice property and pretty new and clean. All the rooms have an ocean view if you are up high enough. Rooms are well appointed and it has an indoor pool. The breakfast is the typical continental breakfast, but I can't remember if it had the Belgian waffle makers (I don't think it did, but...). We had a queen/queen room, and it was big enough for the three of us (DS is almost 7). I would stay there again. There is another Quality Inn (without the suites), and we haven't stayed at that one.

Carmen, thank you for the information! I think we will be just fine here if we don't find any deals later ;)

I have checked on some but most of our people in are group don't want to stayat a place were we have to pay lots of $$$ for a night before the cruise. Most of our group want to stay of Seawall Blvd. just as long as it has a clean bed.

I am needing a room for one night on April 12th and would prefer a hotel w/ free cruise parking, I'm interested in using priceline.com and have looked on several of the bidding results site and see people actually getting the Hotel Galvez at $75 a night; ultimately I'm not picky, just want a clean, inexpensive ($100 or less) room w/ free cruise parking. Should I go ahead and bid on priceline now or wait until closer to time? If all else fails, I will book a room just outside Galveston (Texas City, La Marque) and then pay cruise parking at Lighthouse for approx same price.

jc, let me know what you get. We are staying at the Comfort Inn Stewart Beach on April 12th. I had a heck of a time finding some place affordable to stay as we need a couple of rooms. I think we are paying around $90 a night and I booked on line several months ago. Vicky

I am needing a room for one night on April 12th and would prefer a hotel w/ free cruise parking, I'm interested in using priceline.com and have looked on several of the bidding results site and see people actually getting the Hotel Galvez at $75 a night; ultimately I'm not picky, just want a clean, inexpensive ($100 or less) room w/ free cruise parking. Should I go ahead and bid on priceline now or wait until closer to time? If all else fails, I will book a room just outside Galveston (Texas City, La Marque) and then pay cruise parking at Lighthouse for approx same price.

Have you checked to see what Hotwire is offering? I usually use them if I can ID the property.

I have stayed @ Quality Inn and Suites 3 times, the last time they had put in place the waffle makers. Inside heated tub and hot tub, all in a nice area. The place is always clean and the beds are so extremely comfortable. That is the 1st place I look to stay and if I get a reasonable price, I pick it over all the others mentioned. You can go to choicehotels or sidestep also to book Quality Inn.

A great, great, inexpensive, super fun place to eat is at "The Spot". It is for mainly 20-60 y.o. group with great food and fabulous view and lots of fun people hanging about. This also is my 1st choice of places to eat. I get the fried fish sandwich. Their items come plain, and then they have a bar which has cheese, pickles, pico do galo(sp?), etc. which you load up on how much you want. They also have a website and you can look at the menu with happy hour on Friday evening with half-price appetizers (I think this is the day) and the best appetizer I have ever had in my life was there and it is called "shrimp kisses".....they will make you groan in your chair folks, fabulous!! If I can help with any ?'s ask away.

Hope this helps!!

If you can get the Galvez at +/-$75/night, I'd take it. It is such a beautiful and historic hotel and is right on Seawall Blvd. (Just be glad you aren't trying to stay in Seattle - I'm trying to reserve a room there for a 6/08 Alaskan cruise and the rooms are +/-$200/night!!!)

Archived