RCCL - hopefully better than Carnival?

wcdive

Last year I went on a Carnival cruise after taking a short break from cruising, but had cruised Disney and RCCL before previous Carnival cruises. Carnival has certainly changed. It's definitely improved. I would sail on a CCL in a minute. I prefer upscale vacations and felt very comfortable on CCL. I'm hoping that my upcoming RCCL cruises will live up to the Carnival one!

Omigosh! Look at all the friends I have made!:D

If you will read the last paragraph of my thread, I did answer the OP'S question.I said if her husband were to try a RRCL ship he may change his mind about cruising.

What I have posted about Carnival and that Singapore Junk called the Holiday is from actual observation. I did not make this stuff up. Every time I was on a Carnival cruise I am surrounded by loud inebriated hillybilly looking type people that absolutely have no charm & no manners.

I appreciate the OP who pointed my traumatic experience about the overall wearing gentleman who reached down inside his overalls and scratched his privates then proceeded to take a plate and proced down the buffett line.

Yes, I was traumatized and have never gotten over such a disregard for others in public. Do you people know how the norovius spreads? Do you want your cruise to end miserably because of uncouth cretins such as that? Of course not. You paid your money and are looking to have an enjoyable time. You can't enjoy the caribbean if you are in quarantine.

No where but on Carnival have I seen such disgusting people, crude habits and drunken frivolity. When I board other cruise lines I see nothing of the sort. Therefore I have made my assessment of Carnival and I will continue to warn people who may otherwise waste their hard earned long saved money.

You may have a problem with my assessment of Carnival. Sorry, but I call 'em like I see 'em. ;)

Looking for attention huh? :rolleyes:

to generalize something like you did is a very classless. How many Carnival cruises have you taken besides the Holiday? I personally find you rude, uncouth and totally without ANY class. You show a lack of knowledge with your statements.

KY, you kill me. :D I can't remember his S/N but you really should look up the guy who sailed Holiday and went on and on for months about the tiny elevators. You guys could spend months commiserating about the Holiday together. I think he was really claustrophobic, although he would never admit to it. I really do need to try the Holiday before she gets shipped off to Iberojet. Just to see what all the fuss is about. :p BTW you sound just like Goldie Hawn in that movie "Overboard".

I just finished reading all post and one thing Im glad of hopefully I have no chance of getting any of the several narrow minded,rude,beauties that made some of these post with any of us lower class tripe on Carnival. Some of you people need to get a life. We have sailed on most of the mainstream lines and for years I have heard the Carnival stories ,and after having them go on for a few minutes I ask how many times they were on Carival and most said I never sailed them but. Well all of the lines are simular in nature . Ive been on Celebrity and Princess where some say they would give up cruising before going on Royal caribbean. For the poster that wanted more food than on Carnival I think you better call and get booked with Captain Stubbing on the Love Boat. My last visit on Carnival I recall the following offerings.

Open seating dinning room Breakfast & Lunch

24 room service

4 hour breakfast buffet

3 hour lunch buffet

1130-300 Chinese

1100 -1000 pm New york deli

1130-230 Fish,chips and Oysters

24 hour Pizza and salad 7 selections

1130 -600 hamburgers,hotdogs,chicken and steak sandwiches

sushi bar

New ships have alternative dinning

most have 3 seatings at dinner

24 hour ice cream machines

Hopefully the few posters that have really made fools out of themselves should make sure they post their bookings on their site to make sure I don't get on the same ship with them.

Bob & Nancy The Villages Florida:) :) :)

I just finished reading all post and one thing Im glad of hopefully I have no chance of getting any of the several narrow minded,rude,beauties that made some of these post with any of us lower class tripe on Carnival. Some of you people need to get a life. We have sailed on most of the mainstream lines and for years I have heard the Carnival stories ,and after having them go on for a few minutes I ask how many times they were on Carival and most said I never sailed them but. Well all of the lines are simular in nature . Ive been on Celebrity and Princess where some say they would give up cruising before going on Royal caribbean. For the poster that wanted more food than on Carnival I think you better call and get booked with Captain Stubbing on the Love Boat. My last visit on Carnival I recall the following offerings.

Open seating dinning room Breakfast & Lunch

24 room service

4 hour breakfast buffet

3 hour lunch buffet

1130-300 Chinese

1100 -1000 pm New york deli

1130-230 Fish,chips and Oysters

24 hour Pizza and salad 7 selections

1130 -600 hamburgers,hotdogs,chicken and steak sandwiches

sushi bar

New ships have alternative dinning

most have 3 seatings at dinner

24 hour ice cream machines

Hopefully the few posters that have really made fools out of themselves should make sure they post their bookings on their site to make sure I don't get on the same ship with them.

Bob & Nancy The Villages Florida:) :) :)

I think you forgot to mention the supper clubs that are on some of the ships. :p:D

I loved KY Transplant's earlier post where he/she said that all Carnival cruisers were uncouth. How uncouth is that? BTW, I'm not that uncouth. I guess I have a big ole chip on my shoulder about people's prejudice against Carnival. On the other hand, I'm big enough to admit that I haven't (yet) traveled on another line. I'll be doing exactly that a week from today. I'll be setting sail on RCCL's Mariner of the Seas, and I can hardly wait!!

What I can tell you is that I cruised, I don't know, 6 or 7 times and I don't drink from dawn until dusk (basically only wine at dinner) and I don't frequent the bars and my kids aren't obnoxious and running rampant around the ship, and yet I've had great cruises all 6 or 7 times. Is the decor of Carnival's ships a tad loud? Yes, I guess it is. I actually think I'll miss it on RCCL. On the other hand, I just think the magnificence of all of the ship's decors is truly astounding and I'm sure that I'll love the Mariner just like all of Carnival's ships.

Let's face it. Some of this is about attitude. If you think Carnival sucks, it will suck for you. I go into any vacation with a positive attitude, and I've yet to have a bad experience. If you get some sour milk, make cheese or something. Now, I know that's not always possible, but it's possible MOST of the time.

I'm sorry to point you out, KY, but, come on, relax. Don't condescend to other people just because you think that what you think is the be all, end all.

Sorry. I'm sick of hearing it.

Cindy

This has certainly been illuminating. I've been comparing Carnival Freedom and RCI for a Mediterranean trip this fall. In recent years I've cruised on HAL Westerdam (Caribbean twice) and Princess Star (Baltic). Food was probably better but people are people in all their varieties. On one HAL cruise a family of four at our table wore jeans and printed sweat shirts for one formal night, mummus for the other (except the man in jeans and wife-beater top). On Princess a couple who were so drunk they couldn't remember their cabin number persuaded the steward to open our door at 2 a.m. - quite a shock.

BTW, I shop at KMart and Chico's, Nordstroms and No-Name $ store, plus Salvantion Army and local resale stores. Can always find great formal wear at very low prices.

BTW, I shop at KMart and Chico's, Nordstroms and No-Name $ store, plus Salvantion Army and local resale stores. Can always find great formal wear at very low prices.

The dollar store sells Tide, Windex and Crest that is exactly the same product you buy at any other store that sells Tide, Windex and Crest. It is even a little cheaper than Walmart. How crazy is it to pay more for exactly the same product just because you are too proud to shop at the dollar store, right? Rich people didn't get rich by throwing their money away needlessly. Of course, they can afford to send their housekeeper to the dollar store for them. ;)

Oh, and I need to add to my post. Do I think that Carnival has no faults? Nope. Absolutely not. I'm hoping for more sea day activities which is something that I've heard that RCCL generally provides. I'm also hoping that they'll control the large crowds better than Carnival which is something that all the lines struggle with. Personally, I don't like the larger ships and prefer the smaller ones. I also have a preconceived notion that I'm struggling to suppress which is telling me that Carnival's food will be better...the food on RCCL will be great...the food on RCCL will be great.

This is all about having a great vacation, folks. Let's remember that we are blessed that we can afford to cruise at all. We need to remember that at all times!

Cindy

I have seen this thread on the first page for several days and today I decided to check it out...........I did not read the whole thread but as usual I semed to find some.... should I say spirited remarks:D

Back to the OP's question does RCI have more to offer for her DH?

I think not..a land base vacation would probably suit him better that way he can be in more control..choices are very limited on a cruise.

But as much as I love land vacations and I cruise for the ports....

a no brainer cruise every so often is the way to relax......so take me away any cruise line I have been on 6 different lines and have enjoyed them all.

This is all about having a great vacation, folks. Let's remember that we are blessed that we can afford to cruise at all. We need to remember that at all times!

Cindy

I agree...our first cruise was with CCl in 1983 our honeymoon, we haven't gone back but I would if the itinerary suited me...and believe me our room was small. had a big pipe running thru it, we had bunk beds, and I think the bath was dwn the hall (not really, but I don;t remember it in the room) back then we threw streamers from the ship when leaving port what a great time we had.

KY, you kill me. :D I can't remember his S/N but you really should look up the guy who sailed Holiday and went on and on for months about the tiny elevators. You guys could spend months commiserating about the Holiday together. I think he was really claustrophobic, although he would never admit to it. I really do need to try the Holiday before she gets shipped off to Iberojet. Just to see what all the fuss is about. :p BTW you sound just like Goldie Hawn in that movie "Overboard".

:D I would love to meet him! Sounds like we have a lot in common! :D

I guess I have a big ole chip on my shoulder about people's prejudice against Carnival. On the other hand, I'm big enough to admit that I haven't (yet) traveled on another line. I'll be doing exactly that a week from today. I'll be setting sail on RCCL's Mariner of the Seas, and I can hardly wait!!

On the other hand, I just think the magnificence of all of the ship's decors is truly astounding and I'm sure that I'll love the Mariner just like all of Carnival's ships.

I'm sorry to point you out, KY, but, come on, relax. Don't condescend to other people just because you think that what you think is the be all, end all.

Sorry. I'm sick of hearing it.

Cindy

Welcome to the good side, Cindy!

We will be delighted to have you aboard RCCL and after you have experienced the Royal Caribbean difference you will be back again and again. ;)

Carnival who? :confused:

Sorry Cindy, I don't want you or others to be sick of hearing what I got to say but as long as they masses will ask I will continue to tell the truth.

Once you stay at the Marriott, a Motel 6 will never do again....and so it is with cruising.:)

We will be delighted to have you aboard RCCL and after you have experienced the Royal Caribbean difference you will be back again and again. ;)

Sorry Cindy, I don't want you or others to be sick of hearing what I got to say but as long as they masses will ask I will continue to tell the truth.

Once you stay at the Marriott, a Motel 6 will never do again....and so it is with cruising.:)

I am not sure what all of the fuss is about with RCI, as you can see I have cruised them, and am not running back. They are a great cruise line, but so is CCL.

MAC

I am not sure what all of the fuss is about with RCI, as you can see I have cruised them, and am not running back. They are a great cruise line, but so is CCL.

MAC

I think why the posters on here got so mad is not if RCI is better than CCL, but what he said about Carnival's passengers. Did you read the whole thread? Go back to the 2nd page I think it was and read what he wrote about the type of person that sails on Carnival.

Hubby and I did our first cruise as a 7 nighter on the Carnival Valor (their largest ship) last August. There were quite a few things that we did not like very much, and we're hoping that RCCL is different, so I'd appreciate any answers you guys can give me - I'm trying to convince DH to give cruising another try with RCCL.

For one, (probably my biggest issue) I thought there would be a large selection of good food at almost any time. The choices for breakfast were the buffet or the dining room, and then at lunch time there was a grill with burgers and such, a pizza place, a fish-n-chips, an asian place, and the buffet. The food was mediocre at best and the buffet did not have much of a selection (and I am not very picky), and after 5pm the only thing that was left open was the buffet, the dining room, or the pizza, and the buffet was over around 8:30. Plus, the seating anywhere other than the dining room was not very nice, and crowded, we usually had to sit outside near the pool to eat.

Also, the only thing that I was really interested in doing on the pool deck (since the ONLY pool was about the size of my interior stateroom - not kidding, we thought it was the kiddie pool at first) was the slide, and it closed at 4pm! So, you got back on board after your shore excursions, or try to wait until it's not crazy crowded and no slide. Bummer. Does everything on RCCL's ships stay open late? (rock climbing, ice skating rink, etc.)

I'm trying to get a better picture of what RCCL will be like, so any info to help me decide would be much appreciated!!!

I have been on carnival but not royal caribbean I just asked my dad to tell me what he thought though.

-- Food on CCL Liberty was the best he has ever had on any cruise, and he thinks they have a great variety more so then RCL.

--the pools are relatively the same size

--much more act. to do on RCCL.

I think why the posters on here got so mad is not if RCI is better than CCL, but what he said about Carnival's passengers. Did you read the whole thread? Go back to the 2nd page I think it was and read what he wrote about the type of person that sails on Carnival.

Take it easy, Sandi. You're going to work yourself into a stroke here and not be able to enjoy another cruise!;)

I never used the word "trash" in my post. I said my experience with Carnival passengers was that they were uncouth.

I'm surprised that a classy lady from New York, such as yourself, could not see that.:confused:

Take it easy, Sandi. You're going to work yourself into a stroke here and not be able to enjoy another cruise!;)

I never used the word "trash" in my post. I said my experience with Carnival passengers was that they were uncouth.

I'm surprised that a classy lady from New York, such as yourself, could not see that.:confused:

Not going to have a stroke, certainly not over something on a msg board. :D

This is what you said in your original post. Nope, you never actually used the word trash.

"Carnival appeals to a more uncouth, lower income crowd while RCCL draws an older more sophisticated crowd."

Maybe your one experience, you experienced that....but you cannot generalize all of the passengers that sail that line and that is how your post came across. Unfortunately, people in this world like to stereotype other people. Not a very good quality to have. And as far as RCCL drawing an older crowd. Maybe they do, I don't know, I won't even give an opinion on it, because I've never sailed with them. But I can tell you that on both my Carnival cruises (Legend and Miracle), especially the Miracle, the crowd was between 40-70 with some even older than that. Btw, my husband and I are both in our late 40s and definitely not the party hardy type uncouth people that you speak of. Ohhh and in case you didn't know, the Spirit class Carnival ships have supper clubs which I would equate to a fine upscale dining establishment here in NYC.

The point of my post is not to discuss which line is better as far as service, food, etc. but to show you that what you said was really uncalled for. It was rude and totally not true of the whole cruiseline. You didn't like Carnival, that is fine, you didn't have to like it. Don't sail with them again.

And yes, this classy lady from NY sailed Carnival and plans to sail with them again as well as other lines.;) For my next cruise I'm looking into trying HAL and eventually I will get to try Royal, and Princess and so on.

Have a nice day. :)

Every time I was on a Carnival cruise I am surrounded by loud inebriated hillybilly looking type people that absolutely have no charm & no manners.

No where but on Carnival have I seen such disgusting people, crude habits and drunken frivolity.

trash, hillbilly's, disgusting- it's all along the same negative line that you've been traveling along. Personally I think you went over the top with your generalizations, but that's just me. All types sail on both RC and Carnival; plain and simple.

The worst behavior I've ever seen was on my first RCI cruise. A couple were stumbling drunk in the shop buying bottles and bottles of booze. He kept putting more on the counter, she kept taking them and putting them back. They were arguing, loud and obnoxious. Later in the day as we headed back to our cabin, we see the woman coming out of her cabin (they were 2 doors down from us) very upset, crying and her shirt was full of blood. Security was escorting her and telling her they'd put her up in another cabin for the night. There was a security officer standing at the cabin door all night long. The next morning, debarkation, Miami police came on board and escorted him off the ship in handcuffs. It was just terrible and domestic abuse isn't something I'd expect to see on a cruise!

Even though this happened on RCI, I don't go around telling everyone how terrible RCI is and what abusive jerks sail on that cruise line. It can happen anywhere....anytime ....on any line.

Hubby and I did our first cruise as a 7 nighter on the Carnival Valor (their largest ship) last August. There were quite a few things that we did not like very much, and we're hoping that RCCL is different, so I'd appreciate any answers you guys can give me - I'm trying to convince DH to give cruising another try with RCCL.

For one, (probably my biggest issue) I thought there would be a large selection of good food at almost any time. The choices for breakfast were the buffet or the dining room, and then at lunch time there was a grill with burgers and such, a pizza place, a fish-n-chips, an asian place, and the buffet. The food was mediocre at best and the buffet did not have much of a selection (and I am not very picky), and after 5pm the only thing that was left open was the buffet, the dining room, or the pizza, and the buffet was over around 8:30. Plus, the seating anywhere other than the dining room was not very nice, and crowded, we usually had to sit outside near the pool to eat.

Also, the only thing that I was really interested in doing on the pool deck (since the ONLY pool was about the size of my interior stateroom - not kidding, we thought it was the kiddie pool at first) was the slide, and it closed at 4pm! So, you got back on board after your shore excursions, or try to wait until it's not crazy crowded and no slide. Bummer. Does everything on RCCL's ships stay open late? (rock climbing, ice skating rink, etc.)

I'm trying to get a better picture of what RCCL will be like, so any info to help me decide would be much appreciated!!!

Hello

I have had the joy of going on many many cruises 18 so far

You will find all cruise lines have something to offer and something missing

We have been on Carnival RCCL NCL MSC Costa Princess

and Celebrity

!. All cruise lines have great dinners and pretty good service Exception was MSC Lirica but I think it was our horrendous waiter -He never got anything straight -dinner would drag on more than 2.5 hours .He was the pits !!! but he was the ONLY one of 18 cruises so that is not too bad . I will try MSC again if the price is right !!!

2.Figure out what is most important to you food / entertainment/ ports /itinerary /activities and choose the companies accordingly

Food for breakfast and lunch was pretty much the same on all cruise lines except for Princess which had varied menus and all day good buffet somewhere .I for one thought Celebrity Galaxy food was MEDIOCRE at best for breakfast and lunch however dinner was good

Italian food definitely better on Italian ships

Msc Costa have great ambiance all day around the pool crazy fun all day!!!

Glitzy Glitzy ships are Carnival and Costa-WAY over the top -I thought it was SUPER COOOL others will say its GAUDY!!!

Great different activities RCCL -skating /rock climbing /surfing and no they run on a schedule you have to follow they are not always available

All companies have at least 2 GREAT shows per week

Fun around pool is pretty much the same on most cruise lines

I personally Loved MUTS -Movies under the SUN/STARS . Imagine tanning while watching a movie It was GREAT!!!!! and I will choose Princess because of this feature

For best itinerary for me its Princess and Celebrity

As I have said try different companies and compare . My personal favorites are now Costa and Princess but remember Princess and Celebrity are pricier and I did not care for Celebrity but I would do them again because they go to GREAT ports

Good luck in your choices Just go RELAX and enjoy remember no cruise line can give you everything

MIchele

well this thread is not making me feel to good about my choice of RCI. I was hopeing for some good food this time. I was in the mood for food that would stay in my stomach more then 15 mins. maby next year I will go back to princess I did like the buffet there I could eat and be happy and hold it down. I had a good waiter on carnival and a good time at the point, I did not like carnival at all in much of anyway. I do not spend money to come back and talk trash about the trip I spent all this money on. If it sucked it sucked and this trip I wasted money on. I want some good food man, thats really what I think of when I think of cruising I dont care about the ship I dont care about the activities I want something to eat. Should I just go on land vacations:confused:?

well this thread is not making me feel to good about my choice of RCI. I was hopeing for some good food this time. I was in the mood for food that would stay in my stomach more then 15 mins. maby next year I will go back to princess I did like the buffet there I could eat and be happy and hold it down. I had a good waiter on carnival and a good time at the point, I did not like carnival at all in much of anyway. I do not spend money to come back and talk trash about the trip I spent all this money on. If it sucked it sucked and this trip I wasted money on. I want some good food man, thats really what I think of when I think of cruising I dont care about the ship I dont care about the activities I want something to eat. Should I just go on land vacations:confused:?
Just our experience but, of our 21 cruises I think the food has been consistantly best for us on Celebrity. However, we have found good food without going to the specialty (pay) restaurants on every cruise we have taken.

We did cruise Carnival Valor in December 2006 and again April 2007. We noticed a marked improvement in the dining room food on the 2nd trip. We talked to the Maitre d' (who we knew from the first cruise) and he said that the Chef had changed and the current one was considered to be the best of Carnival's chefs.

So, your experience may vary. What ever you choose, hope you have a great time.

Charlie

Absolutely.....I have never gone on a mass market cruise line for food and I never will. I go for the company and the ports. Our experience with all-inclusive(Sandals) food was excellent..of course we paid if I am not mistaken 699per adult per day. lucky our kids were only 85 per day.

Crusing is a great value for what you get..I find the food average, but I have only been on Princess, X,RCI and CCL and river cruises Viking and GCT. One of these days I will try a luxury line when food and drink and service are more important to me.

I would suggest posting on the boards of the luxury lines and ask them about food.

Enjoy

I want to try RCI but after hearing some peoples comments of it being so upscale it makes me wonder if my dinner-mates won't simply stand up after the entrees are finished and say "jolly good then well off to bed"

That is way too funny.

Archived