Carnival Valor Review-Western 3/2-3/9

bhanback

I may have several parts to this review for those who are interested-hope you all enjoy.

We flew out of Baltimore on Saturday and had an uneventful flight getting into Miami. I was really worried about the hotel...I booked the Miami Biscayne Bay on Priceline and did NOT want that one based on bad reviews everywhere, but that's what we got, so I fretted about it all the way there. This is the hotel that USED to be the Raddison, and was going to be a Hilton, but not yet (when I booked).

Miami Airport is always such a zoo, and I had pre booked the Super Shuttle to take us to the hotel. When we found the kiosk for the Shuttle, paperwork in hand, we found it to be staffed by an exceedingly nasty woman who told us we had to wait in line, though that was not what the paperwork said. After a few minutes, my husband wandered over to one of the shuttles and showed the papers we had printed, and he said, no problem and took us on the van. This was this driver's first day and we toured Miami, as he tried to find his way around some shooting that had happened to get us downtown to our hotel. After over an hour of riding around almost everywhere from Hialeah to South Beach, we arrived back on Biscayne Blvd and the hotel. After all the worrying, I found it to be a really nice place, and yes, it is a Hilton now. There were a lot of cruisers staying for the night before, the food in the restaurant was pricey but really good. We had a great room on the corner, 8th floor, overlooking the Miami skyline and the port! We turned in early and I got up at 5 AM, in time to see Freedom of the Seas turning around in the basin right under the window, it seemed! I was so excited I woke up hubby, who was a grump about it so I let him go back to sleep. The parade was just starting, though, cause after Freedom came "our" ship,Carnival Valor, followed by the Victory and a NCL Ship, the Dawn, I think. What a way to start the day!!! I did wake him up early, having no desire to hang out at the hotel, so we went downstairs and got some breakfast....DON'T get the buffet as it is 25 pp and not all that great....and they do serve a la carte byut do not tell you that. Being the suckers we sometimes are, we did get the buffet and then had to eat because of what it cost. We made our exit early and took a cab over about 9:30 or so, as I would rather be at the port people watching than sitting watching TV, and that room was hot when the sun came up and the corner rooms are all glass. A word to the wise staying at this hotel...the elevators are the worst, so do what you have to do early before they get busy.

We got to the port about 10 AM, and there were still people debarking from the ship and catching their transport out. It has been a few years since I have been down there and I had not seen the new Carnival terminal yet, it is wonderful!! After sitting on a bench and reading and people watching for about a half hour or 45 minutes, a porter took our bags for loading, and the line opened for check in, which went very smoothly, then we went into a big lobby with seats and finished the check in process and got our sail and sign cards....first gold cards for us since it's been a couple of years, though our 5th cruise. We boarded at about 11:15 with the rest of Zone One, and we were on the ship!!!!

A lot has been said about the decor of the Valor and yes, it is very colorful but I did not find it to be nauseatingly so. We entered onto the Lobby deck and found our way easily back to Lido with our carry ons, as I was anxious to try the fish and chips......which were heavenly!! Yes they are greasy, but if you don't like that sort of thing, don;t have it. The batter was crisp and hot and the fish was wonderfully mild and tender and flaky. DH got some oysters which were not so great, sort of flat hard prebreaded and frozen things. They also had ahi tuna, seared lightly and served on cubes of watermelon which looked good. DH also got a plate from the buffet below which he seemed to enjoy. I liked the green colors in the Lido deck area, but whatever that cordoroy stuff is that they have in the booths and on the banquettes back there has got to go, it was a dirty gray color to begin with, (I think) and it really looks very worn, dirty and tatty. Everything was very clean otherwise and once again we wondered how they manage to turn these ships around in such short order. As we walked around the ship, we were greeted and welcomed by every staff member we saw, from cleaners and painters to bar staff and those in the white uniforms. Morale seems to be really high on this ship (bear in mind we had not met our dining staff yet)

At a little after one, the carry ons were getting heavy and so were our traveling clothes, so we snuck on up to Spa Deck, and our cabin was ready. As I opened the door to stateroom 1120, I held my breath, and closed my eyes.....and there it was, the balcony I had heard was installed during Valor's recent dry dock! I could NOT believe it, we just booked it as an oceanview room and wound up with this great balcony....with sliding doors!!!! No bungee cord needed to hold the door open, since it locks in place! The cabin was immaculate, and our goodie basket was filled to overflowing with toothpaste, tylenol, Tums, shampoo and conditioner samples and razors, mens and ladies, and little toothbrushes, it was great!

So, the scene is set, and you all get the picture, tomorrow I'll get into the actual rest of the cruise. I took some pictures of the port and the balconies, but due to a camera mishap those were lost but I do have some good pictures coming.

Thanks for the information. My friends and I sail on 4/6, and I can't wait. It'll be my frist trip in 15 years without a husband and kids. I may never come back once I sleep in a bed ALONE.:) I can't wait to learn more. I've never heard of zone loading before either. Tell me more.

Valor 4/08

Inspiration 7/07

RCCL Voyager 7/03

I will be going on my first cruise in April. My children and I will be traveling on the Valor. I am a single mom and wondering if there are any singles activities?

Noelle

I was on the Valor last year, and there were singles meet and greets, i believe one of the first 2 nights.

it will be right in your Capers

enjoy your cruise

great review, cant wait for our trip on the Valor again in May.

What does loading in zones mean?

Newfietraveldiva. Come join us on the Roll-Call for this sailing. Breanne$5 and Lakemom are sailing on the 23 too.

If it's like they did in Tampa, when you check in, you get a boarding number. When they start boarding, they'll call all the ones, twos, etc...similar to disembarkation. This would apply to the people that get there before boarding officially starts, like me. If you get there after they start boarding, you'll just move on after getting processed.

OP, looking forward to the rest of your review.

Archived