new - embarrassing question about spas

I work in the medical field, and anyone who gets a massage should drink lots of water. The massage may feel great but after a few hours, you may start feeling poorly, sometimes you can get sick! Drink water for a couple hours later.:)

This is true....however every massage I have had on a ship (and I have had quite a few) the therapist tells you to drink a lot of water and also brings you a full glass to drink before you leave the room.

Also, I have found it is the luck of the draw when it comes to pushing their products. ALL of the them try to sell me something, but most take my first no for the answer. My worst experience was when I was having a manicure and the girl kept trying to sell me facial products!! She was still working on my nails and I couldn't walk away. Soooo irritating!!

Indulge! Treat yourself! Regardless of size, you are unique and special and deserving of pampering.

When you get right down to it, the only person that needs to be comfortable with your body is YOU. The better you feel about yourself, the better you feel about Life. Don't concern yourself with the judgements of others. They have no idea what your life has been or what struggles you may have. People that judge by packaging rather than quality of character are not likely to be people whose opinions you would value anyway.

Please don't let self-consciousness deprive you of sitting in a hot tub under the stars or enjoying a pool or beach. Eventually I didn't care what anyone might think but it took me time to be ok with myself. I am not perfect but I am Me. Not thrilled with how I look in a bathing suit, but I am not about to forego pleasures in life because someone thinks my physique is unappealling. I'll have the last laugh when I'm hot tubbing at 90 years old.

Ok! Now I just have to decide what I want to do. I'll be on Sovereign and from what I've heard, their spa is smaller than others. I'd be very interested to hear what you've done and enjoyed. If you remember the prices, that would be great too. I've gotta save some money for this. Also, do you know what time the spa closes at night???

Thank you both so much. You've given me the nerve to do it! I was at a local day spa once and overheard someone talking about the whale that they had just done (not me because I was still waiting). I just got up and left.

I used to have massages back when I was thin but that was before the steriods got me.:(

I too understand your comments and question...I have had to take steroids for over 30 years and I am alive because this medicine is the duct tape of medicine to keep me alive with my breathing condition. I personally want to thank you for your posting as you have made me feel better about myself tonight with this posting. People classify people with extra weight as being "bad" but I got heavy just trying to stay alive. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR POSTING!

CincinnatiGal

I too understand your comments and question...I have had to take steroids for over 30 years and I am alive because this medicine is the duct tape of medicine to keep me alive with my breathing condition. I personally want to thank you for your posting as you have made me feel better about myself tonight with this posting. People classify people with extra weight as being "bad" but I got heavy just trying to stay alive. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR POSTING!

CincinnatiGal

I was sure there were more out there than just me. I'm glad this helped you, too!:)

I've never had a masage before, and I'm always saying, "you mean I have to get nekkid in front of someone I don't know?!?" Truthfully, I wouldn't have a clue what to take off, what to leave on.

And, they can't sell me anything because I can't hear. ;)

I've had several massages. They take you into a very relaxing room and then they leave while you get undressed and get on the table and cover up. I take off everything but my panties. They cover you with a sheet and are very careful to protect your modesty. You should try it! I can't wait for my cruise to get another massage!:) :)

I've never had a masage before, and I'm always saying, "you mean I have to get nekkid in front of someone I don't know?!?" Truthfully, I wouldn't have a clue what to take off, what to leave on.

And, they can't sell me anything because I can't hear. ;)

They leave the room while you undress and you get under a sheet- so they don't see anything.

I've never had them try to sell me anything during the massage sessions.

I took a good tip from another Cruise Critic member, and I now put a request on my form to not have any sales pitches for products or other services, and it has been successful.

A good idea! On a cruise last year, my 17 year old son and husband went for spa treatments. My son only had a facial, so he finished before my husband and returned to our cabin with $250 worth of products that the the spa had encouraged him to purchase. We had never used spa services before so I didn't realize there would be a "hard sell" for products or I would have warned him beforehand not to buy anything. Although I know it was my husband's responsibility to supervise my son's spa experience, I still was upset that they took advantage of an inexperienced minor. I'm sure if I had complained, we could have returned the products, but in the end decided to let our son keep them (after a long talk). So be forewarned - they will try to sell products to your kids without parental consent.

As a side note, someone suggested this before my last cruise, and I tried it! If you write on the paper they have you fill out before your session that you don't want to be sold anything, they won't bother you. (At least that was my experience.) It was SO much more relaxing! And I left a bigger tip:-)

Tammy

Round is a great shape, too! I'm 5'6", 250. I'm also a scuba diver, so I wrap myself head-to-foot in lycra, if you want to picture that.

My favorite spa treatment is the seaweed wrap. I've had them on several different cruise lines and ships, and they are all fabulous.

Don't worry about getting 'nekkid' for treatments - the therapists leave the room while you undress and climb under the towels or scarf thingies. The therapists see and touch all sorts of folks, all day long, every day. They're used to it. NBD.

Depending on the treatments I have had, I've been everywhere from partially dressed to paper panties (and those don't come in sizes) to just a smile.

I did wonder how things were going to work when I got my first male therapist for a wrap. Particularly as he said to get completely undressed, and face up under the scarf thingy. When he came back in, somehow he twitched the corners of the scarf, and I was securely wrapped in a triangle from the tops of my legs to the top of the 'girls'. Pretty ingenious!

I had a female therapist announce that she was folding up a towel to put over the 'girls' while doing a massage, and when she turned around with a hand towel folded into a little strip, I cracked up. She then actually took a look at me and the scarf thingy, and started laughing as well (and fetched a larger towel).

Don't feel self-concious, just enjoy!

Wendy

I am under 5 feet tall and about 170 lbs. I have cruised and gotten massages (and wraps) several times on cruises. I have NEVER been treated with anything but respect and I have enjoyed every treatment. Please, if you'd like to enjoy the spa... go and enjoy! Life is short and uncertain and I'm sure you deserve it.

Bon Voyage,

Myra in AZ

This is a very helpful thread, I have never had a massage in my life so have been afraid to try one since I just do not know what to do or what is expected.

Keep the tips and advice up.

Does anyone know how late the spa on SOS is open? I was thinking of having a treatment in the evening on formal night since we skipping that this time. That would be CocoCAy night. If that doesn't work then maybe I'll do it earlier in the day and just come back to the ship early for it.

This is a very helpful thread, I have never had a massage in my life so have been afraid to try one since I just do not know what to do or what is expected.

Keep the tips and advice up.

"Undress to your level of comfort" is what I'm told at my health club. I take it all off. I have never specified having a female masseusse (but they always ask) and have never felt awkward or embarrassed. I've had more massages from males than females.

BE NOT AFRAID!

The relaxation benefits are indescribable! But yes, DO HYDRATE afterwards as you gaze hazily at the ocean and breathe the sea air. ahhhhh

It's unlikely I'll pop for a massage onboard, cuz I'm cheap ;) , but I would not discount the option of having one on land prior to boarding.

Just don't get a massage in Asia :rolleyes:. I wouldn't consider myself to be that much larger than average (I wear a size 12 currently and am on a weight loss program), but even with their poor English skills, my masseuse commented on my size. I don't think she was doing it to make me feel bad (she told me that Asian men like larger women) but it kind of had that effect.

For $10 for a 2 hour massage in a five star hotel I can't complain, but it was certainly an interesting experience. And when they say full body massage, they mean it! :eek:

I have had one massage by a male. I think I am more comfortable with a female. Did I understant correctly, that they ask you which you'd rather have??

Sorry, I don't know if they ask onboard. I was talking about at my health club, where they do ask.

I would assume that ships supply more females in the spas than males - you should not have any problems receiving a massage from a female.

Please do not worry. I am overweight too, but you must remember that you are one of thousands of people they massage. I personally would rather massage someone who is overweight that hairy, haha. But that is just me. On our first cruise I had a massage and it was fantastic and very relaxing. I love massages, and I have probably had 50 in my lifetime, so I have a little experience. IMO they are very professional, and respect you, even if you arent perfect, (who is).

It was funny I was worried about wearing a swimsuit on my first cruise when I saw an particularly elderly woman who was wearing a STRING bikini, I literally looked at my husband and said, "How did she find a suit with strings that long!" Her B**bs were down to her ankles, haha, after that I figured well I am going to be just as proud of my body. Haha.

I've been fluffy for seven years now. Mine is caused by an illness and I'll probably always be fluffy. It's always an adjustment so I understand your wariness about being half naked and being touched by a stranger.

I've found the staff in the ship's spa to be wonderful and not at all judgemental. I've had wonderful massages and I look foward to more in a few days. Enjoy yourself. There's no better way to feel comfortable in your skin than to have it massaged ;)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It's hard to feel like I'm the only one that's "fluffy", as shancan said. I'll get used to this "me". Growing up, a slim was too big. Now here I am and I have to get used to it. Thank you again for your kind words of encouragement!

Hello, sisters in illness (or perhaps we should call ourselves "health challenged"?).

lookout1: I empathize more than you can know. I always had to keep 10 or 15 lb at bay, but did so by being a dancer and doing theater (as well as being incredibly active). Then I got sick, and the illnesses and medications and lack of ability to do so many things (including dance, which absolutely killed my soul at first) combined to pack on 50 lb.

I couldn't look in the mirror because that "fat girl" couldn't possibly be me. I couldn't bear to go out with friends and family on good days unless I absolutely had to because I was sure people were laughing at me behind my back. I hated it. I hated having to buy larger clothes; I hated having my picture taken; I hated everything about my body. I couldn't believe that this was going to be my life, and sometimes I still can't.

cruiseloverandagent is spot on. You will get used to the new "you," and you will learn to be okay with your body. My husband helped me toward that by pointing out that people weren't running away screaming in horror when they saw me in the store or laughing hysterically as I walked by. In other words, we see ourselves in a far worse light then most others see us.

Trained professional massage therapists see all kinds of bodies and only care that they help yours feel better. Do be sure to tell your masseuse (sp?) about any concerns. For example, if you have tender areas or could be hurt by specific types of pressures. It's always a good idea to mention that you have a health condition.

(I do want to mention that through trial and error, with my doctor's assistance, I have managed to find certain "exercise" activities that have helped me carve off 30 of those 50 lb without causing damage; although I do have to go lie down for hours afterward. Don't give up hope that you will find things to mitigate some of the weight or at least make you feel stronger. Warm water therapy exercises have been a blessing. Almost no stress on the joints and just enough resistance from the water.)

I wish you both the best of everything and many happy cruises (and massages!) in the future.

beachchick

Archived