haiti + snorkeling = jellyfish?

acc82

Okay, so, I'm looking at all the excursions in labadee this time around. Me and my husband are what I would call moderate to advanced snorkelers...we have snorkeled in multiple places, ocean, river, and we are both good swimmers, etc... Anyway, usually, we use labadee as our place to "rest" and lay on the beach, but we love to snorkel; and labadee is just so beautiful. i see that they have a snorkeling excursion this year. my husband and i have done the kayak excursion before and my husband remembers seeing jellyfish in the water as we kayaked along. I'm wanting to know (we're going in may) if we can expect jellys during the snorkel. I am accostomed to snorkeling with all types of ocean creatures, and I'm aware, don't mess with them and they won't bother you (i.e. nurse shark, sting ray, eels of various types that I've encountered). But, I have lived very close to the georgia coast with atlantic jellys being an issue for lots of folks and i know that sometimes, even in trying to avoid them, you get stung and even though not life threatening, it can ruin the excursion and put a damper on the vacation. thanks!

Okay, so, I'm looking at all the excursions in labadee this time around. Me and my husband are what I would call moderate to advanced snorkelers...we have snorkeled in multiple places, ocean, river, and we are both good swimmers, etc... Anyway, usually, we use labadee as our place to "rest" and lay on the beach, but we love to snorkel; and labadee is just so beautiful. i see that they have a snorkeling excursion this year. my husband and i have done the kayak excursion before and my husband remembers seeing jellyfish in the water as we kayaked along. I'm wanting to know (we're going in may) if we can expect jellys during the snorkel. I am accostomed to snorkeling with all types of ocean creatures, and I'm aware, don't mess with them and they won't bother you (i.e. nurse shark, sting ray, eels of various types that I've encountered). But, I have lived very close to the georgia coast with atlantic jellys being an issue for lots of folks and i know that sometimes, even in trying to avoid them, you get stung and even though not life threatening, it can ruin the excursion and put a damper on the vacation. thanks!

I would suggest you invest in a dive skin and go snorkeling that way if you accidentally get into some jellies you wont have an issue

Yes, as already mentioned a simple diveskin address jellies, coral and other things you could brush up against. Plus it provides protection from the sun. Here's an example:

http://www.123scuba.com/p-DS0034.html

But, I have lived very close to the georgia coast with atlantic jellys being an issue for lots of folks and i know that sometimes, even in trying to avoid them, you get stung and even though not life threatening, it can ruin the excursion and put a damper on the vacation. thanks!

The Caribbean has two kinds of jellies you'd possibily run into, moon jellies and thimble jellies. Moon jellies basically don't really sting (at least I've been around around 100 and never been stung) as they have very short elements. Thimbles DO sting, and it hurts a bit but nothing like you've experienced in Georgia (it's like, "Uhh, what stung?" and go on). Also you can't really see them as they are the size of a "thimble", duh, and they're virtually invisible looking down in the water (if you're under and look up you can see them, barely). Anyway, no need to carry meat tenderizer or pee on someone, both supposedly curies for jelly stings :). A dive skin is a good ideal but it's not very likely you'll even run into either in Haiti (I didn't see any when I was there).

Randall

Thanks for the insight scubaran....i have worn wetsuits in cool water and that was ideal, but I'd prefer not to do that for the caribbean. I know theses little suckers are hard to see sometimes, but if the sting or lack thereof doesn't produce terrible pain, i'm okay :-)

Thanks for the insight scubaran....i have worn wetsuits in cool water and that was ideal, but I'd prefer not to do that for the caribbean. I know theses little suckers are hard to see sometimes, but if the sting or lack thereof doesn't produce terrible pain, i'm okay :-)

Hi,

Nope, I'd equate the pain to a pin prick. Hurts for an instant then goes away. The worst, which I'm sure won't happen to you but did to me diving, is to swim through a swarm of them. I was bouncing around a bit before I was able to dive under them (I had a wet suit on but they were stinging my hands and face around my mask). Still wasn't that bad, just bad luck. :)

Randall

Archived