Live from Celebrity Summit: 3/15/08

Amlee

Hi Amlee,

Thanks for the report on your Granada stop and for the smile you put on my face following a rather ugly day at work. I don't know if I could have sat through that excursion. The dolphins you saw must have been a great experience. Anxious to hear your opinion of Bonaire. I loved it as a dive island but didn't get around much.

Barry

Grenada is a very nice island. Im glad to hear that you had a fairly good time:) What are your plans for Bonaire? I think that Bonaire is almost identical to Grenada geographically. Can't wait to hear the report!

~Brian~

It did start, but we would never make it back in time to make the ship before it left. It just wasn't happening. Our group was great though. Many would have been having a fit at this point, but we all took it in stride.

So you missed the ship? How did you get back on???

I am going to try to keep this up and going during the cruise. So if you have any questions while I'm on board let me know.

Thanks for keeping us posted. If there has been a change in Summit's crew for Captain, Cruise Director, Hotel Director and Captain's Club Host(ess), could you please update their names?

Thank you.

Whoiswhere-7.jpg

No, we didn't miss the ship. It was a joke that when the ship left dock they could swing by and pick us up. Because the sent another boat after us, we were able to make it back in plenty of time. If they hadn't of, then yes there was a good chance we could have missed the ship.

Ok, now for the rest of the story!

I became so sick from to much sun (due to the engine problem) that I wasn't able to get of the ship in Bonaire at all. I have very fine blisters all over my chest and upper back. I had sun screen on, but it just wasn't strong enough. Added to it(not sure if it's connected or not) but I have been fighting with a sinus infection. I am so not looking forward to the flight home! I did fill out a form about what happened to us. I didn't want to get the tour operator in trouble. As you could see he was upset about it all. But I did think we were owed something back, for not getting to go out as far as the other watching boats. Also the fact that we didn't get to follow the dolphins like the other boats did. Last night, they contacted us and we all received a 50% refund. Which is what I expected. I didn't want it all back. Or anything extra.

But I did have a highlight in Bonaire and didn't even get off the ship. I was sitting on Deck 10 aft (the very back bar) when people started jumping up and running to the railing. There was a pod of about 30 dolphins swimming straight at the ship. They came up behind us, jumping and leaping out of the water. They swam right up the starboard side of the ship and kept going. They are truly stunning creatures.

Also last night at the buffet on deck 10 port side, 3 of us were sitting at a table, when the 2 ladies I was sitting with both yell DOLPHINS!! It seems they were playing at the back of the ship. I missed them, but several sitting around that area saw them. So be on the look out!

I did get off the ship in Aruba for a few hours. I was really surprised at the shopping in Aruba. I had been told the pricing was very high. But I didn't find that at all. I did have to visit several jewelry stores to find the pieces that I wanted. But the prices were right where I wanted them to be. I managed to stay in town long enough for lunch, but I was down for the count by the afternoon. In Aruba they had to cancel alot of the water excursions as the sea was really really high.

Ok, I might be on the only one on here, but I have say. I was not at all impressed with the food this time around. They have put out the new menus and didn't enjoy the choices at all. I found it very bland. I had the pork chop last night and I need a chain saw to cut through it. There was several comments made about the food around the ship. Also they removed my goat cheese appy that I always get. That was a big disappointment!

Our head waiter (Henry) tried to be friendly, but I just don't think he knows how. He wasn't rude and he did his job. But he wasn't as out going as some of the others on the ship, or that I have in the past. No cutting up, or joking around. He put the food in front of you, wished you a good meal and that was all. Our asst-waiter(Mario) was a total 360. He cut up and joked with us. We would see him about the ship, and he would always make a point to speak to us.

The Housekeepers I had were great. Never had any problems in anything. My room was always clean. Two of the best I ever had.

I really enjoyed the activist staff on this ship. There is only 3 of them, but they are everywhere. Gary Walker the CD helps them out alot. I have to say he is right up there with Brent and Christian from the Disney Wonder. He was everywhere and interacted with the pax more than ANY other CD I have seen.

I can tell you that the captain and the cd are the sames as the ones listed in the above post.

I have downloaded my pictures to my computer. I still have to edit, and upload them to photobuckets. But I will do that either tomorrow or Monday.

If you have any questions just let me know.

OH! I so forgot to add this part.

Now, I don't have any kids(that is for the record). BUT I have done my share of helping raise kids. I don't mind kids at all. But I want them to be behaived and respectful. Many were not on this ship. But the parents were worse! This sailing had over 350 kids on it. This weeks sailing is suppose to have even more. I have done Disney twice and I never saw on Disney what I saw on this ship.

Kids sitting on the floor EVERYWHERE! Some were just sitting talking and others were playing games. In front of the elevators, stairs, you name it there was kids. There favorite place seemed to be right outside the buffet doors, infront of the stairs. People couldn't get to the stairs to go up or down them, nor could those coming from other levels get past them. I do believe toward them end of the cruise they were asked to move, as I didn't see them the last 2 days.

Another problem was kids in the T-pool and spa area. Playing on the gym equipment seemed to be the big thing to do. As I heard several people complaining about that. It wasn't something I saw personnaly or I would have said something. Securiy was out and about in the T-pool area after the first couple of days and that stopped them from getting in the pool.

Amlee

Sorry to hear you were ill. We did miss your reports, but we were thrilled in hearing from you during the cruise.

Hope everyone is feeling better, my daughter had a great time, and will spend two night in San Juan.

Thanks for your reports,

Ed

OH! I so forgot to add this part.

Now, I don't have any kids(that is for the record). BUT I have done my share of helping raise kids. I don't mind kids at all. But I want them to be behaived and respectful. Many were not on this ship. But the parents were worse! This sailing had over 350 kids on it. This weeks sailing is suppose to have even more. I have done Disney twice and I never saw on Disney what I saw on this ship.

Kids sitting on the floor EVERYWHERE! Some were just sitting talking and others were playing games. In front of the elevators, stairs, you name it there was kids. There favorite place seemed to be right outside the buffet doors, infront of the stairs. People couldn't get to the stairs to go up or down them, nor could those coming from other levels get past them. I do believe toward them end of the cruise they were asked to move, as I didn't see them the last 2 days.

Another problem was kids in the T-pool and spa area. Playing on the gym equipment seemed to be the big thing to do. As I heard several people complaining about that. It wasn't something I saw personnaly or I would have said something. Securiy was out and about in the T-pool area after the first couple of days and that stopped them from getting in the pool.

Amlee, thank you so much for posting...I have so enjoyed following your cruise. Like everyone else, I am really sorry about your sunburn and ensuing illness. Hope you're at least feeling rested :) .

What a shame that the parents weren't supervising the behaviour of the children. I am glad to hear that Celebrity was stepping up from time to time, both re: the dress code in the dining room, and re: children in the T-pool. I too am fine with children, as long as parents provide the children with the appropriate guidelines and reasonable supervision.

I'm sorry to hear about the dining experience being less than you'd hoped for. I hope you had an opportunity to let Celebrity know about your responses to the new menu.

Can you comment on the condition of your stateroom, particularly the drapes, carpet and soft goods? I am hoping to be on the Summit in the fall and would like to invite a friend along. But she travels a lot and is used to fairly nice accommodations, and sadly, our CC stateroom on the Millennium last May was pretty shabby, new bedding notwithstanding. And of course, the new bedding didn't coordinate in the slightest with the existing decor, so that just made the overall effect that much less appealing.

Again, thanks so much for "taking us along with you" by sharing your experiences and insights...I've really enjoyed your onboard commentary.

I became so sick from to much sun (due to the engine problem) that I wasn't able to get of the ship in Bonaire at all. ......

Hi Amlee,

thank you very much for the update.

did i understand correct. SUMMIT had engineproblems?

English is not my mother language, so maybe i missunderstood you.

We are going on the TA end of march, so i am a bit concerned.

I hope you had a great cruise?

Michael

Amlee, thank you so much for posting...I have so enjoyed following your cruise. Like everyone else, I am really sorry about your sunburn and ensuing illness. Hope you're at least feeling rested :) .

What a shame that the parents weren't supervising the behaviour of the children. I am glad to hear that Celebrity was stepping up from time to time, both re: the dress code in the dining room, and re: children in the T-pool. I too am fine with children, as long as parents provide the children with the appropriate guidelines and reasonable supervision.

I'm sorry to hear about the dining experience being less than you'd hoped for. I hope you had an opportunity to let Celebrity know about your responses to the new menu.

Can you comment on the condition of your stateroom, particularly the drapes, carpet and soft goods? I am hoping to be on the Summit in the fall and would like to invite a friend along. But she travels a lot and is used to fairly nice accommodations, and sadly, our CC stateroom on the Millennium last May was pretty shabby, new bedding notwithstanding. And of course, the new bedding didn't coordinate in the slightest with the existing decor, so that just made the overall effect that much less appealing.

Again, thanks so much for "taking us along with you" by sharing your experiences and insights...I've really enjoyed your onboard commentary.

Any comments you have heard about the rooms and the ship itself being really worn down. Is not true. The only thing I saw that was worn down was all the banisters on the outside decks. But that is very understandable because the salt is very hard on the finish. Also I believe that the Summit is going into dry-dock soon and all knew soft good will be going in. However I found the rooms to be in almost perfect condition. there was just one tiny hole in our curtain and that is about it.

~Brian~

Hi Amlee: I enjoyed your review and hope that you are feeling better now. We just got back from a cruise and noticed a lot of children too. We are booked on the Summit next year, same itinerary. Do you by any chance have copies of the dinner menus? I would love to see them if you do.

Brenda

Amlee

Sorry to hear you were ill. We did miss your reports, but we were thrilled in hearing from you during the cruise.

Hope everyone is feeling better, my daughter had a great time, and will spend two night in San Juan.

Thanks for your reports,

Ed

I think I sat behind your daughter and her friends during one of the shows. A young red head with 2 male friends right? Is one of them a first time cruiser? If so, I was right behind them during Noodle's show.

The cabins were in very good shape for a ship that is going into dry dock. If you ask me, they have the wrong ship going in for dry dock. It should be the Millie!!! I did have some stains on my bed spread and my vanity chair was stained up, but not bad. I did see some mold growing in the corners of the shower. But it was behind the soap dish and I tried getting a cloth back behind there to see if it was lack of being cleaned, or not. It was just in a location where you couldn't get to scrub. Something the cruise line needs to think about fixing. I can also tell you that someone in my group had their toilet seat replaced. As it was worn down to the wood showing.

Hi Amlee,

thank you very much for the update.

did i understand correct. SUMMIT had engineproblems?

English is not my mother language, so maybe i missunderstood you.

We are going on the TA end of march, so i am a bit concerned.

I hope you had a great cruise?

Michael

No, it wasn't the Summit with the engine problems. It was the shore excursion boat that we were put on to go whale and dolphin watching. The engine on the Summit is just find.

Any comments you have heard about the rooms and the ship itself being really worn down. Is not true. The only thing I saw that was worn down was all the banisters on the outside decks. But that is very understandable because the salt is very hard on the finish. Also I believe that the Summit is going into dry-dock soon and all knew soft good will be going in. However I found the rooms to be in almost perfect condition. there was just one tiny hole in our curtain and that is about it.

~Brian~

I'll second this. The Summit has one more run(the current sailing) before i goes into dry dock.

Hi Amlee: I enjoyed your review and hope that you are feeling better now. We just got back from a cruise and noticed a lot of children too. We are booked on the Summit next year, same itinerary. Do you by any chance have copies of the dinner menus? I would love to see them if you do.

Brenda

The only menu I grab was the one for the Normandy.

Hi Amlee

It sounds like the three of them. One of them was a first cruiser, the other was his second cruise, and my daughter her sixth cruise. Hopefully they behaved themselves. They are nice young adults. They had a great time.

Ed

Hi Amlee

It sounds like the three of them. One of them was a first cruiser, the other was his second cruise, and my daughter her sixth cruise. Hopefully they behaved themselves. They are nice young adults. They had a great time.

Ed

Yes they were very well behaved. They seemed to enjoy the show. That was the only time I saw them during the cruise. I'm glad they had a good time.

It was a really good cruise. I would do this ship and this Itn again in a heart beat.

No, it wasn't the Summit with the engine problems. It was the shore excursion boat that we were put on to go whale and dolphin watching. The engine on the Summit is just find.

Amlee, thank you for the clarification.

It is nice to hear, that you enjoyed your cruise.

We are starting our Transatlantic in a few days and hope we have not a very rough sea.It is our first Transatlantic.

Nice to hear that the SUMMIT is in good condition, even just before the dry dock.

~Brian~

Brian, thanks for your report. I look forward to hearing about what has been done on the Summit during drydock.

Brian, thanks for your report. I look forward to hearing about what has been done on the Summit during drydock.

:confused: I have read that Summit has or has had a problem with bed bugs. Can anyone confirm or deny? We sail on Summit in Oct (Med cruise) and are very loyal Celebrity cruisers.

Dancermom5

The cabins were in very good shape for a ship that is going into dry dock. If you ask me, they have the wrong ship going in for dry dock. It should be the Millie!!! I did have some stains on my bed spread and my vanity chair was stained up, but not bad. I did see some mold growing in the corners of the shower. But it was behind the soap dish and I tried getting a cloth back behind there to see if it was lack of being cleaned, or not. It was just in a location where you couldn't get to scrub. Something the cruise line needs to think about fixing. I can also tell you that someone in my group had their toilet seat replaced. As it was worn down to the wood showing.

I think you're right about the Millie. I was on the first sailing of the Millennium last April after she came out of drydock. It seemed that some of the carpets had been replaced in the public rooms, but I didn't hear any reports that any work had been done inside the staterooms (I understand that the new bedding was installed before the drydock). Quite a bit of the upholstery still needed replacing, i.e., on chairs in the main Dining Room, and some of the lounge chairs in the champagne bar and The Rendezvous. None of this diminished my enjoyment of the cruise in any way, but I just don't feel that I can recommend the Millennium to others until the staterooms are addressed.

The service that we received on the Millennium was outstanding, however, and I'm looking forward to seeing what shape she is in, in September when we go on a 3-day jaunt out of Vancouver.

I didn't hear of any bed bugs being reported on this cruise at all. I know in the past there was a report of this. But nothing being said on this cruise.

The dry dock is mostly for the pods. The ship is set to get all new engines, with only minor repairs on other stuff.

Was on that cruise and no bed bugs. The ship is in very good condition dont't worry. We had a wonderfull cruise

:D My worries are now gone. Thank you all who responded to my inquiry re bed bugs on Summit. Now we can relax and plan our excursions and not worry about bed bugs.

Happy cruising!

Dancermom5

Archived