RCI's Uxmal Tour?

39august

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an excerpt from my Voyager review from February '08:

In Progreso we took the ship’s excursion to see the Mayan ruins at Uxmal. We chose this tour because I had read on Cruise Critic that these ruins were as impressive as Chichen Itza but with much smaller crowds. This turned out to be good advice. There was only one busload of passengers on our tour and probably 6 or 7 buses of passengers heading to Chichen Itza. We were given a box lunch as we boarded our bus for the 6 hour tour. The lunch consisted of a foil package of tuna, crackers, mayo & relish, a Capri Sun juice pouch, a blueberry muffin, a fruit cup, a cookie, and a package of peanuts. We bought bottled water as we waited in line to board our bus. It was approximately an hour and a half drive to the ruins. We stopped for a short time at a local craft shop to see a local artisan before we arrived at Uxmal. When we arrived at Uxmal, our guide took us on a walking tour of each section of the ruins and explained the history and archaeological importance of these structures. We found that another reason to choose the ruins at Uxmal is that you are still allowed to climb on these ruins because they are still very stable structurally. We climbed to the top of several of the structures including the tallest pyramid structure. My sons were fascinated to learn about the culture of these incredibly learned people. We really enjoyed this tour and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in Mayan culture or archeological ruins. Be forewarned however that there is a lot of walking and many steps to climb while on this tour. We were very hungry after walking and climbing so much and were grateful for the box lunch to eat on our bus trip back to the ship.

We loved Uxmal and it was lots of fun being able to climb the steps of the ruins. Great tour! Hope this helps. :)

Janpatch

Hi Janpatch,

Do you have pictures of Uxmal that you could share with us?

Thank you.

Yes, I have lots of pictures that we took at Uxmal but I'm a newbie on these boards and don't know how to post them.:( Any hints? I use snapfish.com to store them if that helps...

Janpatch

Yes, I have lots of pictures that we took at Uxmal but I'm a newbie on these boards and don't know how to post them.:( Any hints? I use snapfish.com to store them if that helps...

Janpatch

If you post a link to your pictures on snapfish.com, then everybody can go there and look at them. Hopefully snapfish.com doesn't ask for a password to look at your pictures.

Thanks.

We did RCI's Uxmal tour last week. Had a good time. The bus ride it kind of boring (2 hours each way), we took naps. (It didn't help that the particular bus we were in had those window graphic sticker things that made it tough to really see outside.) The ruins were FANTASTIC! There were maybe 5 busses in the parking lot. The ruins were much more grand and extensive than I had anticipated. The box lunch was very good.

The only downsides were that it can be pretty warm, I'd recommend taking a bottle of water; and our tour guide was a little hard to understand and he kept moving along quickly, not leaving much time to look around and be in awe of the ruins. ;)

Thanks for the hint - I believe this should work. The photos of our tour are here: uxmaltourprogreso.snapfish.com/snapfish. Hope the link works. Enjoy the photos! :)

Janpatch

Thank you for the link. Those are very beautiful pictures.l

Archived