Lower Cruise Prices in September?

Reva_Dearchi

My heart goes out to all the people who suffered losses during the hurricanes this year and I hope I'm not sounding callous by thinking about my vacations during this time of year but...

Do you think that the cruise lines will have to lower their prices even more during hurricane season going forward? I usually cruise at the end of August (right before back to school) and I am now leary about the Carribean for future cruises during this time of year. My guess is, I'm not the only one thinking this way. Hence, in light of all the hurricanes hitting Florida and the islands, it would appear that the cruise lines will have to lower their prices to entice people into taking the chance on booking during hurricane season. It would have to be a really sweet deal to get me to go back in this time slot. Hey...I'm going to Europe next year! Hope it's not typhoon season!

Do you think that the cruise lines will have to lower their prices even more during hurricane season going forward?
The cruiselines will charge whatever the market will bear. If September demand drops, prices will fall. If demand is strong, look for prices to rise.

You can sure get great deals in September, but they drop even lower when they have to adjust itineraries and people cancel (at the last minute) due to hurricanes! Labor Day weekend, the Glory 7 night cruise had to be changed to a 4 night cruise, and I saw it advertised in the Sunday Orlando Sentinel (two days prior to the cruise) for $149. A deal we would have jumped on, if we hadn't had to stay home and deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Frances!

Personally, I think they are going to raise the prices for September sailings.

People have figured out that you have 2 chances for success; (i) great weather and a great cruise, or (ii) hurricanes, in which case you'd get $500 back, and cabin credits, and credits for a future cruise, etc --- if you don't mind a 7 day cruise turning into a 5 day cruise......... Next September, I'm in!!!

• 7 months later...

Prices are going up...at least for the Valor. Our Sept.2005 Valor cruise price just jumped $50pp. The lowest inside cabin costs $750pp when you add the $44 taxes. I'm glad we booked our 9a early.

I'm sorry ... I just think that is too much for an inside cabin during hurricane season. Maybe it will change closer to the cruise. It appears that the 8a and 8b balconies are sold out. 8c is going for over $1000pp when you add the tax.

Another thing that surprises me is that the Oct. sailings are usually lower than

Sept. Not this year....at least not on the Valor!

We have almost always sailed during Sept to Feb. and there are usually bargins to be found.....

But Wow...this year the fall prices are starting out really high.

We got a pretty good deal on the Miracle in October, by booking durning the Carnival One Day Sale and getting a Senior discount also. $649 for a Balcony Gaur. (including port charges) and our friends got a 4A gaur. for $525 (including port charges)

But I checked now and they want like $799 for a Balcony gaur. and like $649 or that 4A on our same sailing.

I don't think it has so much to do with demand as with The Cruise Lines exercising more control......like now the Travel Agencies are not allowed to advertise discount prices, they have to to advertise the same prices as the Cruise Line. Used to be the Big Companies would hold a Block of Cabins (to get a discount) and passing the savings on to us....but now thier hands are tied.

I agree that the prices have gone up and I think it's due to many factors...demand definitely being one. If the ships weren't selling out, the cruise lines would drop the prices. I looked into several Panama Canal cruises for February and March 2006 and almost all the ships I looked at, the balcony cabins are already all sold out. I was amazed!

I also think the price changes have to do with the new pricing regulations AND the prices are up on EVERYTHING from cruising to a loaf of bread at the supermarket because of oil :mad: ...don't get me started on THAT!

But...this also means that land vacations are up as well. We used to stay at the Hard Rock Hotel (Orlando) and it was extremely reasonable. We looked into it and the prices have gone so high as to be insane.

Back when I was a kid, there were many people who couldn't afford to vacation...or thought it frivolous...the mind set was different back then. Today, thank heaven, people realize there is more to life than work and struggle and people make sure to get away at least once a year...most more than that. The travel industry is doing well..demand is high and they will price according to what people are willing to pay...like any other business.

These higher prices hurt! We like to book balcony...you do get addicted once you have one. However, future cruises, if prices don't change, could put us back to inside cabins. They just switched my health ins. at work, no more hmo, which means 2500 out of my pocket for a future surgery. Would have been 250.

Boyfriends company also switched from hmo. My health comes before cruising...I just hate to think that I will be paying as much for my surgery as I could have spent on a cruise!

Also, if it hadn't been for great prices, I could never have been able to take my daughter and granddaughters on a cruise. I couldn't do it at today's prices. I am so glad that I already did. My oldest granddaughter, now 13,asked me when she was 3 years old if I would take her on the "Big Boat"? I promised and was able to keep that promise, yes it was 9 years later, but I did it!

We are leaving on the Conquest at the beginning of September and I am a little worried about hurricane season. We got a pretty good deal, and the price has already dropped a little ($30 pp).

As long as we are on vacation, not having to worry about work, stress, etc., and I have a drink in my hand, we could cruise around in circles and I would be happy. That's how bad we need a vacation right now! :)

September, October and November (even Thanksgivng week) is ALWAYS cheaper. We always cruise these months, always! Check it out! Lots of last minute deals if you can cruise these! Great deals!

THIS makes me happy...and I hope that it is true this year!

I am planning on taking a solo cruise in Sept or Oct after my kids go back to school. Unfortunetly, I can't get childcare arranged very far in advance so I usually wind up booking a solo vacation about 3 to 5 weeks prior to travelling. The single supplement thing is tough and I like to find a decent price. Last year I went away without the kids in June but did a land vacation and the year before I went at the end of July on Destiny. I REALLY want to cruise when the kids are in school! I don't mind kids around when I have mine (such as on my recent Triumph journey) with me BUT when I go alone I would really like to try and find something a little less "family".

Lets all keep our fingers crossed that the we'll be able to find some good deals!

It seems the great last minute deals are becoming harder to come by... Our last October cruise sold out 5 months in advance. Our cruise this October is getting close to being sold out, pricing has gone up some, but not much (less than $100pp more)... As cruising becomes more popular, and many adults cruising during Sept/Oct due to less kids and lower pricing, I think the ships are filling up much quicker... I personally would not count on getting a great last minute deal on these cruises...

September, October and November (even Thanksgivng week) is ALWAYS cheaper. We always cruise these months, always! Check it out! Lots of last minute deals if you can cruise these! Great deals!

My husband and I always cruise in October. Beside the great deals that can be found hubby's vacation starts in october for the coming year. This year we are on the Glory cat.8d balcony for 799pp. Could not turn that down.

We are also Sept. cruisers. 12 of 14 have been in Sept. And, I will say that the rates were always good. And still are compared to June-July sailings. But compared to other years they are a little steeper.

We will be on the Valor in September. Our 9a jumped again yesterday. I haven't looked this morning. We got it for $1149 & $44 taxes. It is now $1229 plus the tax. Also noticed cat 8a and 8b are gone already. Cat 8c is $1009pp plus taxes.

If you booked early like we did you probably got a better price.

The price for inside and ocean views are getting to be as much as you could get a balcony for.

The prices for balconies are still better now than when the Destiny first came out. We wanted a balcony but it was going for $1500pp and that did not include airfare!

Archived