What's a MUST on Mexican riviera cruise?

tirakotchi

These would be my picks!

Cabo.....Los Arcos

Puerto Vallarta....a city and coastal tour

Mazatlan....something that will take you up into the Sierra Madres

The reason I have suggested these ideas is that you will see quite a varied countryside at each of these ports. Enjoy your cruise to the Mexican Riviera!

For Mazatlan, we've narrowed our choices down to three that Princess offers:

Sierra Madre Tour (includes meal)

Colonial Villages and Papantla Flyers

Mazatlan Highlights and Papantla Flyers

Any comments on any of the above?

• 3 weeks later...

We had a great time on Los Arcos!

Be aware that the taxi drops you off at the water's edge in thigh high water (and the water wasn't that calm when we were there in Dec). Getting back onto the taxi is the same situation. You wade into the water and climb on board (no ladder in our boat).

My 77 year old mother had a difficult time getting on and off the boat and actually fell into the water trying to get off. All of her belongings got wet. She didn't have the strength to climb back onto the boat so my dh had to push her in. It was not very dignified but that was the only way she could get in.

Also, when we were there, we didn't notice any bathrooms.

You mentioned that one person in your party was "elderly" so I thought I would warn you.

Have a great time!

janet

Hi Tirakotchi.

Your name doesnot sound dutch, but your flag is. (So am I).

In PV do the sierra madre expedition in Unimags (kind of big Jeep) They show your the small villages, drive through rivers, walk through the forest and have a great bbq on a very nice beach. Meal and also all drinks on board incl. If you still have time, go to the Malecon, have diner (Or lunch if youre not on a tour) in the Blue Shrimp (1 street behind the Malecon), see Old Town.

Sorry you go in November, otherwise whale watching in a Zodiac, but that starts on Dec. 15.

In Cabo make a full tour incl. San Juan del Cabo, the glass-factory, Giorgio's, and the Cactusgarden. Or on the pier take a watercab. Let them show you Los Arcos, Seal Rock, Lovers Beach (you can stay there and arrange a pick-up). In town near the marina there are nice bars with 2 for 1 drinks. Visit Cabo-Wabo the famous bar.

In Acapulco you make the tour to Taxco, the silver town, but it takes a lot of your time. The city-sighseeing is nice, but we found Acapulco little disappointing. A big citie with lots of hotels.

In Mazatlan the tour incl. the Papatlan flyers is interesting.

You might consider in both cities the arrange a cab and let them drive you around. Make your price before boarding.

In Mazatlan we enjoyed the Papantla flyers. They are out in the Golden Zone, and you can go for $10 a person if you are not on a tour (done it twice). Sitting on a beach near a hotel and watching the vendors push their products is a lazy way to spend the afternoon.

Cabo San Lucas (probably not suitable for elderly) - we took a small transportation boat for a couple buncks over to the other side of the bay to the beach and just asked people where we could rent horses. We were led to a nice horse ranch a 10-minute walk away and had our choice of 1-2 dozen well-cared-for horses. For about $40, we got a 1 1/2 hour private ride "semi-guided" by one teen boy all along the white beaches and surf of Cabo. It was wonderful.

Puerto Vallarta - we took the Jungle shore tour and absolutely loved it! A bus took us up a winding jungle road high up near where "Night of the Iguana" was filmed. We had lunch at an outdoor grill restaurant and there were streams/waterfalls to play in and a jungle hike if you wished.

In Mazatlan we enjoyed the Papantla flyers. They are out in the Golden Zone, and you can go for $10 a person if you are not on a tour (done it twice). Sitting on a beach near a hotel and watching the vendors push their products is a lazy way to spend the afternoon.

What are Papantla flyers?

Please tell us more about the good horses in Cabo and where were they. I am so tickled to hear that they are not the poor starved horses like in PV. Anyway where were they and how many people did you have to ask and what boat did you take to get there.

Sorry for so many questions but I really want to know.

Thanks,

Sharon

Based on two trips I can recommend several things that we enjoyed:

PV---

The Vaharta Adventures Rainforest Safari in a big 4x4 Mercedes truck thru many small towns, across several rivers and ranches to a rainforest for a short walk and then a beach BBQ with open bar, then a crazy ride back to dock was a great day. The city and coastal tour was also nice.

Mazatlan---

Riding horses with Randi's Happy Horses on Stone Island with lunch at Victors there was a nice laid back day doing something less hetic and still interesting to see Mexico from 40 yrs ago. The Sierra Madre tour was also interesting, where you go to Copala and Concordia with lunch at a Mex resturant. This showed you what most of Mexico is like. Long ride on bus.

Cabo----

Whalewatching thru ship in Feb was one of the best we have done. They were right outside of bay and stayed near the boat for three hrs. Not that expensive, open bar and snacks. Ship videographer got great pictures for the ship video.

The city tour and coastal tour to fancy hotel, and glass factory was also nice. Have to to go to Cabo Wabo to at least look around. Town is easy walk from tender area. Nice shops near each of the ports on these cruises.

I went twice on the Sierra Madre tour. Once on a big bus and the next time I took the tour with an independent tour operator. His name is Frank, it was a great tour! In cost, less then on the ship and on information, much more too. We actually had more stops then on the bus. I really recommend him. contact him at http://www.mazatlan-tours.com . Another choice is Randi, if you like horse riding. She is great also. I just wanted to let you know this because these people treat the people really nice.

I hope this information helps a bit!

Louis

Archived