absinthe....i don't know where to post the question!

A faux-absinthe liquor called Absente, made with southern wormwood (Artemisia abrotanum) instead of grande wormwood (Artemisia absinthium), is sold legally in the United States and does not contain Grande Wormwood. This was the first US approval referring to "absinthe" on the front label; the front label says "Absinthe Refined" but the US Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) classified the product as Liqueur.

In 2007 the laws prohibiting absinthe were relaxed and several brands of absinthe were legally approved for sale. These brands must pass TTB testing, which is performed by the Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry method[61] and TTB considers a product to be thujone-free if the FDA's test measures less than 10ppm (equal to 10mg/kg) thujone.[62] A US distillery also began producing and selling absinthe, the first US company to do so since 1912. [63]

Per Wikipedia

Well, despite the different spellings, interpretations, etc, I bought a bottle last year and it was vile.

The lady at the liquor store was very knowlegeable about it, and I was going to buy a bottle of Pernod Absinthe for about $65.00. She told me that no, what I SHOULD buy was Hills Absinthe. They just got a few bottles in and it had the highest infusion of wormword and was only $15.00 more. So I bought it. We did the whole sugar cube in a spoon, drizzling water thing. It tasted like crap. But it cost $80 so the four of us drank the bottle .

I was sick for days afterward. Headache, dizzy, nauseous, muscle pains. :(

Poison I tell ya.

WORST HANGOVER EVER.

so, I know it is illegal to sell absinthe in the united states, but my daughter has a question...

Beverly

Funny...I used to work as a Toxicologist and there were a lot of phone calls to the lab from people asking drug related questions for "someone else" or were writing a research paper. I would advise your daughter to not bring anthing that is considered "illegal" in the US home to avoid penalties from Custom and Border protection.

You gotta like anise-based, herbal liquors - if you don't like ouzo/metaxa/sambuca/becherovka/jagermeister, you will probably not like absinthe at all. I've never bothered with the "real" stuff, but the impression I get from friends that have tried seems to be that the high alcohol content gets you and the much-vaunted effects of the thujone is negligible.

Gee, some drugs are legal in other countries. Can you bring them back to the USA if you buy them in the country that it's legal in? NO!

Wouldn't even try it.

okay now, that wasn't what i was asking, and i am certainly not going to smuggle in anything, really was asking if anyone knew if it was legal to bring it back.....geezzzzzzz.....

and personally I don't know why anyone would even buy it....anywhere!!!!

thanks everybody for your answers, apparently some people can bring it in and it, or a variation of it, are available some places!

Beverly

It is legal here now, wasn't up until recently. Have her do a Google search of which stores sell it in her area.

so, I know it is illegal to sell absinthe in the united states, but my daughter has a question...can you bring it back with you from Europe...don't know where to look...figured someone here could point me in the right direction!

Beverly

Archived