RCL:50% Discount or 50% of the price you paid?

iroyster

Quote from RCI Website on Hurricane credits?

50 percent discount on a future Royal Caribbean sailing of seven nights or less, which departs on or before December 15, 2005, excluding holidays.

I would like to know if anyone has used thier credit yet? Our cruise was right at $1000.00 per person cat. D1. Do we get $500.00 per person discount or 50% off of RCI current pricing which is higher?

Just really curious on this one.

Ira

this has happened to me before, you will get 50% off the price of your next sailing. It has no bearing on what you paid now. So next time go for the suite. unless the coupon that they actually send you says something different. The coupon I got had no restrictions on it whatsoever. You might even be able to take the coupon over to a Celebrity ship as well if you push hard enough. I did exactlly that but in the opposite direction. Used a Celebrity coupon on Royal Caribbean. This was 2 years ago .

I used a Celebrity discount to book a suite the next time but it clearly said 50% off early booking price without discounts.

However, I understand that Celebrity now allows you to only use the coupon in the same category in which you were originally booked.

thanks all for your reply. We should be hearing from some of the most recents ones that got credit shortly.

I have not heard from RCI yet as I am sure they are real busy. Their answer will be interesting as their statement just says 50% off.

Ira

The 50% off is only for the cruise rate, and does not include the port charges and taxes. Let's say your cruise rate is 700.00, and your P&T is 200.00. Your total price is 900.00. But - you won't pay 450.00. You'll pay 50% 0f 700.00, which is 350.00, AND the total 200.00 P&T, so your total price would be 550.00.

The 50% off is only for the cruise rate, and does not include the port charges and taxes. Let's say your cruise rate is 700.00, and your P&T is 200.00. Your total price is 900.00. But - you won't pay 450.00. You'll pay 50% 0f 700.00, which is 350.00, AND the total 200.00 P&T, so your total price would be 550.00.

Thanks Imsulin,

I understand that taxes and port charges would not be included was just curious whether was an actual 50% off of say "list price "or what I actually paid for the cruise that they gave me credit for. With the new pricing and no discounts from Travel agencies that could make a big difference.

I guess I want to get the next cruise as cheap as possible. I'll get the C&A credit(coupon(s)) plus the stock discount ( I think) so want to go again (SOON) for the least price.

I guess I have been around to long and have had to read the fine print too many times on documents so am always leary of "discounts".

Ira

You're right to be leery, iroyster! Good question - which can only be answererd by RCI, I guess. Don't know if you can combine the C&A coupon and stock discount with the 50% thing. Call RCI at 1-800-327-6700 THREE times, and see if you get the same answer. Let me know.

I used my credit from the 9/5 Mariner. It is indeed 50% off of the price of your next cruise. I was however told by the loayalty ambassador and also by cust service that the credit can be used for cabins of equal level or lower. For example, if you booked an E1 on the affected cruise, you can't book a JS. a couple people on these boards say other wise. This is what happened in my case.

To give you an example of how this got priced out, we booked a JS on radiance. The price per person was $1479.00. Our invoice looks like this:

Cruise Fare: $1479.00

Air: 0

Packages: 0

Protection Plan: $118.00 (cruisecare)

Taxes and Fees : $62.30

Discounts: 0

Commision/Fee: 0

Total: $1659.00

Deposit Paid: $500.00

Balance Due: $1159.30

As you can see, they do not show full price minus 50%, they enter the booking at half price up front.

I used my credit from the 9/5 Mariner. It is indeed 50% off of the price of your next cruise. I was however told by the loayalty ambassador and also by cust service that the credit can be used for cabins of equal level or lower. For example, if you booked an E1 on the affected cruise, you can't book a JS. a couple people on these boards say other wise. This is what happened in my case.

Thanks Jrm9999,

Just the kind of info I and others , I am sure, are looking for.

Ira

i just recieved my certificates today.

applicable to all cats and price programs except reunion, interline, ta reduced rate. group incentive, charter, and goes on to say applicable to individual and group bookings to cruise component only.

cannot be used for shore excursions, tour pckgs, or personal charges.

valid only in the same cat purchased on original sailing.

cruise must be taken by 12/15/05

one cert per person. valid up to 7 nights

if applied to cruise of lesser value, the difference will mnot be carried to another booking. it will be considered as used.

as with all reservations it is subject to availability.

it then goes on to explain how to redeem the cert. and it will not be used for deposit , but deducted from final only.

i just recieved my certificates today.

applicable to all cats and price programs except reunion, interline, ta reduced rate. group incentive, charter, and goes on to say applicable to individual and group bookings to cruise component only.

cannot be used for shore excursions, tour pckgs, or personal charges.

valid only in the same cat purchased on original sailing.

cruise must be taken by 12/15/05

one cert per person. valid up to 7 nights

if applied to cruise of lesser value, the difference will mnot be carried to another booking. it will be considered as used.

as with all reservations it is subject to availability.

it then goes on to explain how to redeem the cert. and it will not be used for deposit , but deducted from final only.

Thanks!!!!!!!

That is the kind of info I was looking for. Nice of you to let me know. What ship were you on to get the credit?

Ira

• 2 weeks later...
Quote from RCI Website on Hurricane credits?

50 percent discount on a future Royal Caribbean sailing of seven nights or less, which departs on or before December 15, 2005, excluding holidays.

I would like to know if anyone has used thier credit yet? Our cruise was right at $1000.00 per person cat. D1. Do we get $500.00 per person discount or 50% off of RCI current pricing which is higher?

Just really curious on this one.

Ira

The devil made me "bump" this to see if anyone had any experience with these discounts since the last post. :rolleyes:

Ira

Archived