Dress Code, then and still now, FYI

Ab Ovo

On a QE2 Fall cruise, not a crossing, in 1982, this was printed daily in the daily bulletin:

"On A Final Note...

How Do I Dress?

FORMAL DRESS means Tuxedo Dinner Jacket or Suit and Tie for the gentlemen, Evening or cocktail dress or other evening outfits for the ladies.

INFORMAL DRESS means Suit or Sports Jacket and Trousers with Tie for the gentlemen, Regular or cocktail dress for the ladies.

(No shorts or jeans after 6 p.m. please.)"

Today, for being on all three Queen ships, the above seems to answer any question on proper attire. Just sayin' :D .

(and so the dress code comes back to haunt us )

The dress code was much easier back then and none of this elegant casual or super informal stuff that is the norm nowadays.

And people could understand what it ment! and l always thought back then people did stick more to the dress code and we never saw jeans in those days

Of course l blame the Maitre Ds, If your not properly dressed they should tell the passenger and send them back to where they came!

The dress code was much easier back then and none of this elegant casual or super informal stuff that is the norm nowadays.

And people could understand what it ment!

Well said...I have never cruised on Cunard myself (hope to this fall), but I do know from listening to family members speak that things have changed so much over the years in terms of appropriate dress.

The problem, as I see it, is that people are so casual now that it's hard to draw lines between things like business casual, elegant casual, dress, semi-formal, formal, etc. What one person sees as a formal dress might only be cocktail attire to Cunard standards.

I have found these discussions to be very informative as I try to plan my wardrobe for my honeymoon cruise (budget to shop, really). I realize that I likely won't see these folks again except for the nights on the ship, but I also don't want to be looked down upon or not live up to standard.

I'm sure some of the regulars to this board are sick of this issue, but I am thankful for all the guidance given, especially the quote from the old listing and knowing it still stands today.

I did 2 T/A crossing last year and the dress code was 3 formal nights and 1 smart casual and 2 informal nights.

Formal tended to be long evening or evening trouser with dress top.

Smart casual was really quite dressy still and informal was cocktail dress or similar.

I love the dressing up and have too many evening things as I can't resist buying just another one when the sales are on.

Sue

I did 2 T/A crossing last year and the dress code was 3 formal nights and 1 smart casual and 2 informal nights.

Formal tended to be long evening or evening trouser with dress top.

Smart casual was really quite dressy still and informal was cocktail dress or similar.

I love the dressing up and have too many evening things as I can't resist buying just another one when the sales are on.

Sue

I find the term smart casual to be terribly confusing! Is that a European term? I wonder if it is comparable to business casual? Business casual is a slippery slope because it can tend to get too casual too fast.

I feel relatively clear on formal and informal as I would equate informal probably to cocktail...but smart casual confuses me if it's still quite dressy!:confused:

Archived