Help please, Cairo air and asthma

mikefang

CC/HAL help requested please. DW and I are taking the 9/17/08 Rotterdam Black Sea, Holy Land cruise which includes Egypt. DW has asthma and we are both concerned about comments elsewhere on CC boards about bad air in Cairo causing respiratory problems and comments about using various types of masks (including Magellan I Can Breathe masks). I recognize no names in those other posts and am hoping some HAL veterans can speak to some first hand experience. Our cruise is not based on just one port so we can pass on the pyramids if necessary. We have been off the boards for awhile and have to admit we took a motorcoach tour of Germany last year. Really great trip but that almost daily suitcase packing/unpacking and lack of laundry makes us look forward even more eagerly to the Rotterdam-ironically our last HAL ship which was to Hawaii and back.

Mike

We were in Cairo in October 2006. Although I don't have asthma I think I would have noticed if the air was unbreathable. Cairo is a big city with air quality problems but no worse than Athens or Rome. Our van had good air conditioning.

It's not the cleanest city around - one day was enough for me. The pyramids, Sphinx and museum are all wonderful.

Archived