Use Tracfone on the Dawn!!

ds521

We did bring my AT&T cell along with the Tracfone, but the AT&T cell never did get a signal until we got back into Miami. The Tracfone had a signal the entire cruise - at sea, in port - with the exception of Great Stirrup Cay. That was the only place where the signal was spotty.

And my cell phone with AT&T - not a signal the entire time! Good thing I remembered the Tracfone ;-)

I have AT&T Mobility which was Cingular which was AT&T and so on..... LOL!

My cell phone worked everywhere, so I have to wonder why yours didn't; especially with Cingular at Sea available.

I think what happened with my AT&T cell phone and the reason I didn't get a signal was because our cell phone company (Cellular One) was just bought out by AT&T. It just might be that we're still not completely using AT&T's towers, etc. - don't know for sure but it's got to be something like that which would cause no signal for us, while other AT&T customers do get a signal.

I think what happened with my AT&T cell phone and the reason I didn't get a signal was because our cell phone company (Cellular One) was just bought out by AT&T. It just might be that we're still not completely using AT&T's towers, etc. - don't know for sure but it's got to be something like that which would cause no signal for us, while other AT&T customers do get a signal.

I have ATT also. I bought a new cell phone before I went to Europe in 2006. My old phone worked just fine in Europe, earlier in the year, but the new one wouldn't. I found out that though my phone was newer, it wasn't a quad band phone and thus couldn't recieve a signal while I was in Europe. Some cells phone can have issues, it depends on if they are dual band or quad band. When I got home, I returned that phone for one that would work, world wide.

I used my Tracfone in port at Guatemala in November. It worked fine but the next day when I turned the phone on it said "unregisterd SIM" and was unusable. When I got back home I called Tracfone...They transferred me to their loss prevention department. I told him I was getting an "unregisted SIM" message. The first question he asked me was if I had recently been on a cruise. I said yes. He said I am not allowed to use the phone outside the US and they had deactivated the SIM. They had to send me a new SIM card (which they overnighted). He told me if I did it again my service would be deactivated permanently. He did admit that there website info was not very clear on the fact that you were not allowed to use it outside the US.

There have been many reports here about people getting their phone FRIED when using in a foreign country. It happened to one of our phones that I thought was turned off,but was not.

The one poster here that used it without any problem is very unusual. It is also very unusual that they never got a signal with the ATT phone. There is something more to that story. Could a family member have done something with the phones? Did the ATT phone bill ever show any charges? Did the minutes on the Tracfone go down as you made calls?

We'll have service in St Thomas, but not any other ports. You can always call and get your international service with them connected, I didn't bother since the tracfone actually belongs to my 12 year old. (don't need that headache) We leave on the Dawn on Sunday, I'll let you know how it goes.

Archived