The Staff on free style NCL

cjruns

Thank-you all for answering my question on formal dressing on NCL.All the information was very helpful. Now I would like to ask does the staff dress formally on any of the optional formal nights?My grown daughter and I are still up in the air about taking our formal clothes.My husband is not taking his tux but will take a suit and tie.This will be a 14 nite repositioning cruise so we think there will be alot of older cruisers that maybe will dress up.I did check out the NCL boards and really appreciate all of the information.

The dining room staff is well-dressed EVERY night! Everyone else, staff-wise, will be in their uniforms! On the longer cruises, more folks WILL dress formally--a tux doesn't take up any more room than a suit!!! (After all, it IS a suit!!!)

but on our last cruise, the dress of the crew varies. many tropical shirts uniforms, some sailor type uniforms. you don't get the formal uniforms, like with white gloves...that some ships do on formal night. the cruise in 06, to alaska, had less then 40% in suits or better, very few in after 5 or better. a few long gowns, very few.

last cruise, last december, only saw 10 long gowns on formal night, maybe 50 or so "after 5"...very casual cruise. this cruise was many folks 50 and older and one of the most casual i have been on. it was an guy in his late 60s that was giving everyone the most problems, he didn't pack anything but shorts and gave every dining hostess trouble about not seating him in the main dining rooms. the young crowd was dressed better then the older set, for sure.

Just back from the NCL Spirit (will post a review). NCL has new guidelines on dress codes found on their site under FAQ's What to Pack.

Basically, no shorts/torn jeans. One dining room will be no jeans. (on our cruise it was one of the main dining rooms.) The Maitre D explained the unwritten policy as just about anything reasonable is seated. He said the advertisements don't really spell the dress codes out and they have people coming on the cruises (especially from Florida/California climates) who only bring shorts. Even the Specialty restaurants weren't saying anything about jeans. Not trying to start a dress code war, just telling what I was told. In fact, the Daily did not even state that the Windows dining room was "no jeans" and the Garden dining room was "no torn jeans". Only found that out when we went to the Windows on the third or fourth day (first time to either main dining room) and saw the sign sitting on the desk at the entrance. As I was in jeans and a polo shirt I asked if that meant no torn jeans as the Daily implied or no jeans period and was told I was fine. Only realized that it actually did mean no jeans when I went by the other dining room, Gardens, to check their sign and it said no torn jeans. The two nights we ate in the main dining rooms (one night each) we were seated at a table for two and really did not notice what others were wearing. A number of spring breakers on the cruise so noticed more the state of sobriety than the dress. :)

Just back from the NCL Spirit (will post a review). NCL has new guidelines on dress codes found on their site under FAQ's What to Pack.

Basically, no shorts/torn jeans. One dining room will be no jeans. (on our cruise it was one of the main dining rooms.) The Maitre D explained the unwritten policy as just about anything reasonable is seated. He said the advertisements don't really spell the dress codes out and they have people coming on the cruises (especially from Florida/California climates) who only bring shorts. Even the Specialty restaurants weren't saying anything about jeans. Not trying to start a dress code war, just telling what I was told. In fact, the Daily did not even state that the Windows dining room was "no jeans" and the Garden dining room was "no torn jeans". Only found that out when we went to the Windows on the third or fourth day (first time to either main dining room) and saw the sign sitting on the desk at the entrance. As I was in jeans and a polo shirt I asked if that meant no torn jeans as the Daily implied or no jeans period and was told I was fine. Only realized that it actually did mean no jeans when I went by the other dining room, Gardens, to check their sign and it said no torn jeans. The two nights we ate in the main dining rooms (one night each) we were seated at a table for two and really did not notice what others were wearing. A number of spring breakers on the cruise so noticed more the state of sobriety than the dress. :)

Thanks so much for this info! We'd like to bring my BIL & SIL with us on a cruise, but the only time I've ever (in 30 years :eek: ) seen him in anything but jeans was at his father's funeral :( .

Knowing that we can invite them and not worry about dressing up is great!

We like NCL Freestyle, but I've never seen any "dress code" that wasn't cruise casual (no jeans). I'm glad to see that this has changed.

Archived