So many questions, so little time!

NYNY10022

Help! My husband and I (and another couple) are traveling to Alaska on May 25th. We plan to head to Denali, via train, for a few days and then back down to Seward for the May 30th RC cruise. Other than the basics, we have nothing planned. So if anybody has any advice, we would surely appreciate it!

1. Does anybody have a recommendation for a place to stay in Denali?

2. Is there any nightlife in Denali? Or once your daily activities are over, are we confined to our hotel?

3. Anything you would NOT want to miss in Denali?

4. From what I've read, if we take the train up to Denali, we should take the bus back to Seward. Has anybody done this? Seems like a long time to be on a bus. Do we have any other options?

5. Any recommendations for hotels in Seward?

6. Has anybody gone halibut fishing in Seward? Any tips?

7. Any excursions on the ship we should NOT miss?

8. Anything I should definitely NOT forget to bring?

9. Anything else I am not thinking of?

10. Just wanted to round off my list to the number "10", so if you have any tips on how not to over pack, my husband would be grateful. :D

Thanks for your help!

OK well let me see if I can start it rolling.....

Denali area is awesome place to visit, but nightlife is not one of the

things to write home to Mom about. While the days are very long

with about 20 hours of daylight.

If it was me I would not take the train again. We would drive as we

have done before. We enjoy have the opt to stop and take that perfect

picture. Or stop and smell the fireweed on the highway. You have more

control over your vacation.

If you have the time take the time to take a flight from Talkteetna and land

on the glacier at the base of Denali. We did that 4 years ago and talk

about it every week.

We have done our fishing down in Ketchikan. We visiting Seward this time....

Book your excursions on YOUR own. Don't book them from the ship. There

is great tour companies in Alaska. The ship will over charge you by 30% or

more.

Juneau, Whale watching is a must. Several good whale watching tours

in Juneau

Key on dressing is to dress in layers. We have found it foggy or misty in

the morning and very nice by afternoon. So we have drip dry rain pants

and jackets. They dry very quickly and fold up together in a size of a small

football. So they are easy to carry around town.

If you are on a Balcony make sure you bring a bungee cord.

I would search the ports on google and order free tour stuff. Such

as visit-ketchikan.com and Juneau.com, etc. They have some very

nice free tour stuff you can view online or snail mail it to you all.

Denali area is awesome place to visit, but nightlife is not one of the

things to write home to Mom about. While the days are very long

with about 20 hours of daylight.

I think this is subjective depending on your age group and expectations. The Salmon Bake closes at 4 AM. I don't remember exactly what nights they have live bands, but there are several spots that have live entertaiment and it is anything but tame if dancing, drinking and hanging out with the summer (many foreigners) help is your thing. My late 20s kids are rarely home before 5 AM. I have been known to be there until 3. But if rock and roll and karoke isn't your thing, then there is no nightlife, especially without a car. Most nights we grab ice cream and go to Savage animal spotting. Can't do that without a car though.

Janice

We are going to Denali in July post-cruise. It's our first trip to AK so I can't speak from experience, but here is what we are doing:

- Seward to ANC by Alaskan Leopard shuttle / tour van. Definitely consider this as an option.

- Pick up Avis car in ANC, spend the night at a B&B (less expensive and more fun than conventional motels/hotels). Buy food/supplies for the road trip to Denali.

- Stop in Talkeetna for a flightseeing trip. The visibility can be iffy, but the tour company is flexible and will let us cancel if there isn't much to see. We also have the option of rescheduling on our trip out of Denali.

- Stay at Denali River Cabins, evening whitewater raft trip.

- Get up early the next morning for shuttle bus trip.

- Second night at the Cabins.

- Drive back to ANC, stop in Talkeetna if flightseeing was rescheduled.

- Tour ANC, stay another night at the B&B

- Morning flight home :(

This answers some of your questions indirectly, the flightseeing and River Cabins are probably not options if you don't drive. I believe the whitewater rafting companies will pick up at hotels.

7. Don't purchase the Juneau Mt. Roberts tram and the White Pass RR in Skagway through the cruise line. I hear that both are spectacular if the weather is clear but you may also get a great view of the inside of clouds! The cruise line excursions go no matter what. Tram tickets can be purchased on the dock, and the White Pass RR can be booked independently and cancelled for a 10% penalty if visibility is bad.

8&9. Some tips from friends who have gone- A telephoto lens or "teleconverter" for your camera, bug repellent, hiking style shoes or boots, travel alarm and a "multitap" extension cord to use in the stateroom.

9b. Northern Lights and Tour Saver are books of discounts and coupons. They differ in coverage area and type of travel (I bought Tour Saver). Check them out, you may be able to save a lot of money.

10. Pack for half the trip and use the ship's laundry halfway through. (Your ship may have self-service laundry rooms.) Save old socks and underwear for the cruise. Launder them halfway through the trip, then discard them after you wear them in the second half. That will make room for souveneirs!

Help! My husband and I (and another couple) are traveling to Alaska on May 25th. We plan to head to Denali, via train, for a few days and then back down to Seward for the May 30th RC cruise. Other than the basics, we have nothing planned. So if anybody has any advice, we would surely appreciate it!

2. Is there any nightlife in Denali? Or once your daily activities are over, are we confined to our hotel?

4. From what I've read, if we take the train up to Denali, we should take the bus back to Seward. Has anybody done this? Seems like a long time to be on a bus. Do we have any other options?

10. Just wanted to round off my list to the number "10", so if you have any tips on how not to over pack, my husband would be grateful. :D

Thanks for your help!

You will see and do way more, if you have a rental car, round trip out of Anchorage, which I recommend you book now. Spend at least 2 nights at Denali Park and get your reservations for the Toklat Shuttle in place before you go. Talkeetna may be worth a night to you?? Or Anchorage, depending on your preferences. Then take the train to Seward, a bus/shuttle would be my absolute last choice. The rail is grossly superior for scenery. Have at least 1 overnight in Seward, so to enjoy several of the fantastic touring opportunities.

This offers you the best for your time and preferences of Denali park and Seward.

Seward to ANC by Alaskan Leopard shuttle / tour van. Definitely consider this as an option.

- Stop in Talkeetna for a flightseeing trip. The visibility can be iffy, but the tour company is flexible and will let us cancel if there isn't much to see. We also have the option of rescheduling on our trip out of Denali.

7. Don't purchase the Juneau Mt. Roberts tram and the White Pass RR in Skagway through the cruise line. I hear that both are spectacular if the weather is clear but you may also get a great view of the inside of clouds! The cruise line excursions go no matter what. Tram tickets can be purchased on the dock, and the White Pass RR can be booked independently and cancelled for a 10% penalty if visibility is bad.

QUOTE]

Only my opinion. Seward is not to be missed, loaded with touring gems. A bus/shuttle would be my last choice for a transfer. For clairfication- it would be the flightseeing company who cancels the flights, and most would not refund, if you decided there wasn't much to see. (which you wouldn't know, the deal with the flight is to get above the lower weather for a McKinley view)

The above White Pass RR reference is not the best for many people. The ship tour loads at the dock, it's a walk to the depot. Also, "weather" in Skagway rarely has anything much to do with White Pass and the weather is extremely variable. On a 3 hour trip you can come across fog, then have it clear for the rest of the trip. Rarely is a trip completely fogged out.

The Mt. Robert's tram reference is accurate.

Where do you get the ice cream, and what is "Savage animal spotting"? :)

There are usually several places to get dipped ice cream, but baring that, you can always get Dove bars at the minimart/gas station in Glitter Gulch. Savage River is as far as you can drive into Denali with your own vehicles. We often see moose, fox, caribou and occasionally bear. Spotting bears is often with binoculars and looking into the area past the gate, although on two occasions we have actually seen bear standing in the middle of the road right at the gate. Seeing caribou there is often late in the season. Still worth driving out there if you have a car, and nothing else to do at night.

Janice

If you are on a Balcony make sure you bring a bungee cord.

Funny, my husband was trying to figure out how to pack a cinder block because we have the balcony. So, if anything happens to me on this trip, y'all heard it here first. ;)

Thank you so much. VERY helpful. We've decided to rent a car from Denali to Seward. We LOVE that idea. And the tips about excursions were good as well!

I think this is subjective depending on your age group and expectations. The Salmon Bake closes at 4 AM. I don't remember exactly what nights they have live bands, but there are several spots that have live entertaiment and it is anything but tame if dancing, drinking and hanging out with the summer (many foreigners) help is your thing.

Janice

Mmmmm.... where is this Salmon Bake that is open until 4AM?

10. Pack for half the trip and use the ship's laundry halfway through. (Your ship may have self-service laundry rooms.) Save old socks and underwear for the cruise. Launder them halfway through the trip, then discard them after you wear them in the second half. That will make room for souveneirs!

What a GREAT idea about throwing away old stuff on the second half! Thanks for all your tips. Sounds like you will be having a great trip!

Just a couple of more questions for you:

Where did you find info on the B&B's. I haven't found any. but, I like the idea.

And where did you get the coupon books from?

Only my opinion. Seward is not to be missed, loaded with touring gems. A bus/shuttle would be my last choice for a transfer. For clairfication- it would be the flightseeing company who cancels the flights, and most would not refund, if you decided there wasn't much to see. (which you wouldn't know, the deal with the flight is to get above the lower weather for a McKinley view)

Thanks, I started looking more into Seward. There does seem to be plenty to do. Have you ever gone horsebackriding there?

What a GREAT idea about throwing away old stuff on the second half! Thanks for all your tips. Sounds like you will be having a great trip!

Where did you find info on the B&B's. I haven't found any. but, I like the idea.

There are many excellent B&B's in Alaska that I've stayed at. In just about every area. Wide range to pick from. :)

There is the Toursaver coupon book and Northern Lights coupon book.

Mmmmm.... where is this Salmon Bake that is open until 4AM?

Right across from the Princess Hotel. You can't miss it at night by the noise. If you aren't within walking distance, they have a free shuttle to take those who shouldn't be driving home whenever they are ready to go.

Janice

Right across from the Princess Hotel. You can't miss it at night by the noise. If you aren't within walking distance, they have a free shuttle to take those who shouldn't be driving home whenever they are ready to go.

Janice

Is the Salmon Bake the name of a bar or an actual salmon bake? lol

Other option we found fun was the Cabin Night Dinner Theater. Family style dinner and then entertainment afterward. We didn't stay up too late at night, usually in bed by 11-11:30. Or, if you have an interest in the Iditarod - we took the tour our first night out to Jeff King's Goose Lake Kennels. I think the tour left at 6 or 6:30pm. Very interesting and we got to hold puppies!! We spent two nights in Denali as part of our cruise tour...

Thanks for your help!

6. Seasickness Pills for the halibut fishing - some of the boats are really small and it can get choppy

Salmon Bake is the name of the restaurant/bar.

Janice

Thanks! I think we've decided to stay at the Princess Denali, so I am sure we will find it!

So, we panicked and picked that hotel. Has anyone stayed there?

NYNY,

Try http://www.anchorage-bnb.com/ or google "Anchorage B&B" There is a wide range of prices and "styles". From what I've researched City ordinances limit the number of rooms a B&B can have (six?) Some are very well run, and others are rather bootleg where someone with a few extra rooms decides to call themselves a B&B. Tripadvisor.com http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60880-c2-Anchorage_Alaska-Hotels.html has traveler ratings. The popular ones fill way in advance but the owners are very helpful and will refer you to others that may have vacancies. FWIW, we are staying at the Arctic Fox. You can also try the towns of Talkeetna or Wasila (sp?)

Tour Saver- http://www.toursaver.com/

Northern Lights- http://www.alaska-discounts.com/

The books have different "flavors", you will see this when you browse their websites. If you're considering buying either book, call the participating companies beforehand. Some of them have restrictions like only 2 coupons per day and they will tell you how many "slots" are left. Others "extend" the the coupon...for example, the Talkeetna Air Taxi two-for-one coupon is only good for the 7pm flight, but they will give a 20% discount on any flight if you have a Toursaver.

Caveat- This is my first trip to Alaska too, so all of this is just my research. Budget Queen has commented on some of my suggestions, I'd take her advice more seriously than mine. ;)

Thanks! I think we've decided to stay at the Princess Denali, so I am sure we will find it!

So, we panicked and picked that hotel. Has anyone stayed there?

In my opinion, this isn't a good choice for independent. It's a very busy,so so hotel, with endless buses loading and unloading. Congested lobby area and too many milling people waiting about.

Archived