fins

Pinkbikini

Where should we get fins?

How much should we pay for fins?

We snorkel approx 3 times/year on our cruises. My MIL got us the snorkel and goggles as a present for our last cruise but we still had to rent the fins. Any advice would be great!

Pink

We snorkel approx 3 times/year on our cruises. My MIL got us the snorkel and goggles as a present for our last cruise but we still had to rent the fins. Any advice would be great!

Pink

If you aren't going to use them more than about 3 times a year, cheap ones will work for you and you can get them at a place like Costco for a good price.

Pink

Hi,

You didn't say how long you had before you needed them but if you've got a few weeks to a month or so keep checking www.leisurepro.com for Apollo Full Foot Bio UNI Fins. These are highly rated full foot fins that consistently come out at the top of the list for fins to buy and Leisurepro puts them on sale a lot for $39/pair, they usually go for $70/pair (they were just on sale so I'm assuming it will be a a bit or so before they're offered again). My wife and I both have them and they're great. They're rubber (very comfortable) instead of plastic and are "split" fins which means instead of the propulsion coming from fanning them up and down, the spit sections osillate like a boat propeller meaning less movement and less work needed to go forward (I put on a friend of mine's fins when he got tired and let him use mine. He was booking about and keeping up and I felt like I'd put concrete blocks on my feet, they work that well).

Randall

Pink

you sound like me and my husband. we snorkel at least 3 times per year either on a cruise or otherwise. I think you're right on for buying your own eqiupment. I hate using the cheap rentable equipment. i've included a picture of my fins. I love them! they're split fins, like scubaran was talking about. you get great movement through the water with them. when me and my husband bought our equip. we went to the local dive shop and the divemaster there gave us recomendations based on what we are using the equipment for. the prices weren't that much different than other places anyway. i use deep see products......

BLRFG.JPG

These fins are so comfortable! the strap is padded on the ankle. also, if you don't already have one, go to a dive shop and get the padded mask strap....it's great! can't live without it now. :-)

aqumsc.jpg

that's just an example. mine just displays the name of the dive shop i got it from so that every time i go snorkeling now.....people are like....."oh, you're from atlanta?"......it's a blessing and a curse. :-)

Hi Pinkbikini,

As scubaran says, Leisurepro is a great source for dive gear at a reasonable price. I have a Oceanic Caribe X full foots. They are a classic fin design, but scored at the top in Scuba Magazines fin review this year. i have had mine several years and use them for both scuba and snorkeling. They are comfortable and provide decent thrust. My brother dives Apollo open heals and loves them. Tusa Xpert Zooms are a good choice full foot fin as well.

We go snorkeling a few times on one or two cruises a year. I've had three different types of fins. A couple year ago we decided it was too much to lug around. Now we just take our mask & snorkel and use fins provided by excursion or day-sail providers or rent them at a snorkeling spot. We bought some thin neoprene socks (no soles) to wear with rental fins - it helps fit and prevents chafing from cheap rubber.

We did get caught unprepared at a remote beach in Grenada with no fins, so we've bought some small travel sized fins (I think they are US divers shredder fins) - available at a few dive sites and Amazon for about $30. We now check ahead to make sure fins are provided or for rent, or take the small ones if they are not.

Archived