Sirius Satellite Radio - Reception on Ship?

I called Sirius about this and she told me the radio would work up to a certain number of miles out to sea. Somewhere the figure 100 miles sticks in my head. But she didn't sound too encouraging. So I didn't bring mine. That woul dbe great if they did work though.

We have taken our XM on two cruises. Western and Eastern Caribbean. We had reception more then 50% of the time. If you have a side balcony cabin your reception will depend on which direction the ship is going. If you have a forward or aft facing balcony you will have much better reception. If you have an inside cabin forget it.

Doesn't make sense. It gets its feed from a satellite. What about the open sea blocks this?

The satellite(s) are basically stationed over land and concentrate their signals there, not many subscribers in the ocean.

We brought our Sirius portable on our E. Carib. sailing of the Dawn. We had a balcony. It worked the first day and then spotty the rest of the cruise., but only while we were in ports. And we had to position the antenna on the balcony rail, which worried us, so we gave up. :rolleyes:

Archived