Ladies, clothing advice please??

Hilary

We are going on Christmas cruise this year and unfortunately I didn't think about having the right clothing until I made our final payment and realized I don't have a thing to wear!! Are there any on-line sites I can browse that carry tropical/summer clothing all year around?

TIA

We are going on Christmas cruise this year and unfortunately I didn't think about having the right clothing until I made our final payment and realized I don't have a thing to wear!! Are there any on-line sites I can browse that carry tropical/summer clothing all year around?

TIA

A.B. Lambdin carries nice resortwear... www.ablambdin.com Hope you find something!

Right now there are tons of summer things on sale. However, I've been on a Christmas cruise before and I suppose it depends where you are going, but even in the Caribbean the evenings can be cool...most people dressed in festive black velvet, velour, wool, etc. During the day people wore shorts and t-shirts, but at night it was more of a wintery look..especially since they keep the ships so cool with the air conditioning. Goodluck!

We are going on Christmas cruise this year and unfortunately I didn't think about having the right clothing until I made our final payment and realized I don't have a thing to wear!!

Were you thinking you made a mistake in choosing cruise lines? If so, other than in rare cases, you should not be charged a penalty if you cancel even if you did make your final payment. Penalties on most lines don't kick in until around 70 days (give or take) prior to sailing. Sorry if I read too much into your comments!

By all means, check out the Cruise Critics fashion board, the ladies (or fashion divas as I refer to them) over there will be glad to help you. As far as tropical clothes are concerned I have friends who have loads of success with http://www.monkeibusiness.com/. Evening clothes can be simple (and inexpensive) but elegant. I found a long black skirt in that wonderful fabric that will not wrinkle at Walmart. Target carries a line of that same fabric too. Pair these with lacy or sparkly tops and you will be fine.

Happy Shopping!! : )

I ran into the same problem for my first cruise. Fortunately, I called Lands End (1-800-356-4444) and a customer rep found me white slacks and light blue slacks and a couple pairs of shorts that fit perfectly (I gave her my measurements.) and this was within two weeks of my Feb. 1 cruise. She saved my life. They have nice bathing suits too.

I used to have what I called my "cruise" clothes. No longer. I just wear jeans or slacks with a top or shirt during the day, a casual dress at night, and a long black skirt with a sequin top for formal night. I bring a lightweight sweater, a shawl and a shirt jacket to wear when it's cooler in the evening or it's air-conditioned.

Lands End, Talbots and LL Bean are good sites for casual but nice quality summer clothing.

Now is a great time to visit the Eddie Bauer outlet web site (just google for it...or go to the link off of eddiebauer.com). They have bathing suits in selected sizes...but lots of tank, t's and shorts...

Nordstrom's has a lot of their summer stuff on sale (on line).

Also, in my area (Cleveland) there's a Dillard's outlet (this would be equivalent to Macy's, Hecht's, etc.) and its packed with great formalwear year-round...$30 to $150 will get you a medium- to high-quality off-the-rack dress. I'm sure most major cities have similar.

For more swimwear...you may want to try cyberswim.com. Suits are pricey, but high quality.

THANK YOU everyone!! I guess what I was really looking for wasn't so much "tropical clothing", but clothing for a tropical climate. Lighterweight fabrics, lighter colors, short sleeves, etc. rather than heavy, dark winter clothing. You guys gave me some excellent websites and ideas for clothing, and I'll also check the CC fashion board (didn't realize there was one).

SueSea, thank you for your concern, I really appreciate it. I am a seasoned cruiser and definitely didn't choose the wrong line. My post literally was about not thinking ahead during the summer season and buying a few dresses or skirts that would be appropriate for the dining room on our cruise.

I fine that

chico's has wonderful travel clothes. I have been building a cruise wardrobe for several years...each year I buy a piece or two to go with the long black skirt, jackets, tops... they all coordinate and when I get ready to go packing is a snap.

I have many pieces made from the "Travelers" like fabric but I purchased them at Walmart and Target. Not only are they much less expensive, but Chicos doesn't carry Plus sizes and those two stores do. Look for brand names George at Walmart and Linden Hill at Target.

Archived