Question About Snorkeling Excursions

erries

My boyfriend and I are going on a RCCL Western Caribbean cruise in May, and one of the stops is at George Town, Grand Cayman. Neither of us has been there before, and we wanted to book a snorkeling excursion.

Royal Caribbean lists two such excursions on its website, and they look virtually identical to me.

1) Reef and Wreck Snorkel ($35)

2) Grand Cayman Snorkeling ($39)

Does anyone know the difference between these two excursions? If you've been on either one, please weigh in and let me know what your experience was like. Or if you have any other advice or suggestions about snorkeling at Grand Cayman, please let me know. I'm open to all ideas.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

My boyfriend and I are going on a RCCL Western Caribbean cruise in May, and one of the stops is at George Town, Grand Cayman. Neither of us has been there before, and we wanted to book a snorkeling excursion.

Royal Caribbean lists two such excursions on its website, and they look virtually identical to me.

Does anyone know the difference between these two excursions? If you've been on either one, please weigh in and let me know what your experience was like. Or if you have any other advice or suggestions about snorkeling at Grand Cayman, please let me know. I'm open to all ideas.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

I'm doing the Reef & Wreck Snorkel next week. I can let you know how it is then...

I do agree though that these 2 looked identical, but snorkeling over a shipwreck peeked my interest. :)

Sorry, I can't tell the difference between the two but it's odds on the wreck they refer to is the Cali right off George Town. It's pretty messed up after the Royal Navy blew it up to give clear passage but that doesn't (IMHO) take anything away from the experience.

I suspect the $ difference is simply the cost varience between the two operators....

Are you experienced snorkelers? If not, either of these trips is probably good for you.

If so, you can do some wonderful snorkeling on your own by walking to Eden Rock or farther down the road (.8 miles) to Sunset House. The excursions are going to put you in a group...many new to the sport. If you are willing to 'roll your own' you can find a very quiet place for some excellent snorkeling....

Even if you need to rent gear, there's a dive shop at both sites who'll be happy to get you anything you need.

I'm doing the Reef & Wreck Snorkel next week. I can let you know how it is then...

Oh, that's great! Please do come back here and let me know how it was. And have a wonderful trip!

Thanks; I really appreciate your response.

the wreck they refer to is the Cali right off George Town. It's pretty messed up after the Royal Navy blew it up to give clear passage

That sounds interesting. How old is this shipwreck?

Are you experienced snorkelers? If not, either of these trips is probably good for you.

If so, you can do some wonderful snorkeling on your own by walking to Eden Rock or farther down the road (.8 miles) to Sunset House. The excursions are going to put you in a group...many new to the sport. If you are willing to 'roll your own' you can find a very quiet place for some excellent snorkeling....

Even if you need to rent gear, there's a dive shop at both sites who'll be happy to get you anything you need.

Thanks for the information! My boyfriend and I have only snorkeled once before - at St. Martin last spring - so we're still n00bs when it comes to snorkeling. For that reason, we'll probably choose one of the two excursions listed here. But I've read that there's good snorkeling at Grand Cayman if you go out on your own (like you mentioned), so hopefully someday I'll be experienced enough to do that!

• 2 weeks later...
I suspect the $ difference is simply the cost varience between the two operators....

Is Eden Rock down from the tender pier towards 7 mile beach??

From the main tender landings in G-Town....Seven Mile Beach is north...and Eden Rock/Parrots Landing/Sunset House are south (turn right).... You can see the signs for Eden Rock from the south tender landings. Or you could at one time ... how many new signs since my last time?????

From the main tender landings in G-Town....Seven Mile Beach is north...and Eden Rock/Parrots Landing/Sunset House are south (turn right).... You can see the signs for Eden Rock from the south tender landings. Or you could at one time ... how many new signs since my last time?????

Thanks, that's past the Del Sol and Hard rock isn't it? How far down?

We are doing a B2B in November and I thought we would rent a car the one day and go to Rum point for the day and then just wanted to snorkel and hang out the second day, we have been to stingray city and the turtle farm and hell previously so wanted low key this time round:D

you can still see eden rock from the tender pier!... its just a short walk.. another good snorkel place on 7 mile beach is Cemetary beach, however there is no facilities there.. Eden rock has a dive shop, etc.... I honestly wasn't impressed with the wreck part of the snorkel excursion but the reef part was excellent... the wreck is a bunch of debris scattered on the ocean floor ... if you go to aruba there is a great snorkel tour over a wreck that still resembles an old ship and you can swim in and out of it.. the excursion that just does reef snorkeling may be over what they call coral gardens, which is excellent snorkeling

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Ok, I lied in my previous post - we actually did the 9:45am Grand Cayman Snorkeling & it was EXCELLENT!! :D I would highly recommend this one. We snorkeled over a coral garden & then went to snorkel over the shipwreck Cali. Saw lots of fish in both places. Our tablemates went on a snorkeling excursion to Stingray City & were highly disappointed. The snorkeling was awful & the seas were really rough & the guides took too long so their excursion ran long & had no time for shopping afterwards. We had plenty of time for shopping afterward! :)

I hope you have fun whichever you choose!! :)

Ok, I lied in my previous post - we actually did the 9:45am Grand Cayman Snorkeling & it was EXCELLENT!! :D I would highly recommend this one. We snorkeled over a coral garden & then went to snorkel over the shipwreck Cali. Saw lots of fish in both places. Our tablemates went on a snorkeling excursion to Stingray City & were highly disappointed. The snorkeling was awful & the seas were really rough & the guides took too long so their excursion ran long & had no time for shopping afterwards. We had plenty of time for shopping afterward! :)

I hope you have fun whichever you choose!! :)

Thanks so much for responding again and telling me about your experience! My boyfriend and I just booked our excursions over the weekend, and we chose the 9:15am Grand Cayman Snorkeling - the same one you did. Yay! How was the shipwreck? Someone else in this thread said it wasn't very impressive, but you seem to have liked it.

Did you see any other marine life besides fish? We went snorkeling in St. Martin last year and saw a sea turtle.

Thanks again!

Erica

Thanks so much for responding again and telling me about your experience! My boyfriend and I just booked our excursions over the weekend, and we chose the 9:15am Grand Cayman Snorkeling - the same one you did. Yay! How was the shipwreck? Someone else in this thread said it wasn't very impressive, but you seem to have liked it.

Did you see any other marine life besides fish? We went snorkeling in St. Martin last year and saw a sea turtle.

Thanks again!

Erica

Very cool! We really only saw fish - no sea trutles. :( But, the fish were certainly impressive. Saw probably a 6 ft Tarpin. Huge! :) Have fun - y'all will love it!! Oh, and I liked the shipwreck and thought it was interesting. I could see where some might not like it if they've seen something better. But, I certainly wasn't expecting the Titanic! ;)

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Here's a link to my review of the Grand Cayman Snorkeling. Interestingly, we went to the same locations as the Reef and Wreck Snorkel. The only difference on our sailing seemed to be that one excursion was in the morning, and one in the afternoon.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=748906

Absolutely. Both Del Sol & Hard Rock are right there on the main strip by the dock.

Awesome. I would imagine that Hard Rock is probably pretty crowded while there are ships in the harbor, but even if it's too long of a wait for lunch, maybe I can at least duck in and get a t-shirt or something. ;)

Thanks for the info,

Erica

I recommend Captain Marvin's ... have been twice, great both times. For a less-than-RCCL price, you can go to two great snorkeling spots and sting ray city. The guides were great. They are located right next to the dock, bus you to their ships and you're off.

captainmarvins.com

I recommend Captain Marvin's ... have been twice, great both times. For a less-than-RCCL price, you can go to two great snorkeling spots and sting ray city. The guides were great. They are located right next to the dock, bus you to their ships and you're off.

captainmarvins.com

We've actually already booked our excursions this time, but I'll certainly keep this in mind if I ever have a chance to go back. :)

Thanks for the info!

Erica

• 1 year later...

Archived