Only a few hours in Seward...

Misha

We will arrive in Seward at 11 am with luggage and all and the Mariner leaves at 5, so I believe that we are going to miss the best of Seward.... just can't do it all. Can anyone suggest something we can do in Seward for that short amount of time. BQ says not to be in a hurry to get on the ship.... but, what can we do?....? We have boat tours in Tracey Arm, Juneau and Sitka, renting a car in Skagway and a float plane in Ketchikan. Thanks

I'm guessing your arriving by train.

Take a taxi to drop off your luggage at the ship. There is a big white bin outside of the terminal. Then head out to Exit Glacier for 2 hours or so. Get a good driver and ask them about viewing spawning salmon on the way back. (not all taxi drivers go out there) After that go downtown to the Sealife Center. You could also wander around town for a bit as a ride back to the ship will take 5 mins from town.

There is also kayaking and 2 kinds of dogsledding, wheeled (Ididaride) and helicopter/glacier landing ( Godwin Glacier)

I agree with Glacier Lady. Exit Glacier would be a great thing to do for a few hours in Seward before getting on the ship. Or if the weather isn't agreeabe, do as Glacier Lady says with a taxi and instead ask to go to the Sealife Center, a great inside option.

Taxi's are great in Seward, and we've done best going with PJ's taxi service. Just do a google search; something like: PJs Taxi + Seward AK - and give them a call. Ask for Renee, and she'll give you a great tour around Seward as well!

Have a great time in Seward!

Thanks so much, I contacted PJ's and they will drop our luggage, and take us to both Exit Glacier and the SeaLife Center! We didn't have anything planned to take us up close to a glacier and this will do it. Thanks again!

There is also Seavey's Sled dog tours, if of interest. In my opinion, this is the best of the cart rides and very well run tour operation.

Glacier helicopter landings and glacier dog sledding is also available out of Seward.

For clairfication, PJ's is Glacierlady.

How long does it take to drive out to Exit Glacier from Seward...we will have an hour or so after kayaking before our next scheduled excursion...is that enough time to drive out for a quick look, and would this be worthwhile?

20 min drive each way. Not enough time if you only have an hour. It's 3/4 of a mile walk to the face. Average time spent is 2 hours.

Archived