Roll Call - Mariner June 18th Alaska

We also are on our first Alaskan cruise.... 6 of us, friends and family from Florida and Chicago. We are going to Denali for a couple days pre cruise and in additon to the Tracey Arm Crossing from Regent, I've booked several private excursions. I'm curious as to what excursions you are taking. I don't want to miss anything ;) There's so much to do with so little time! It's my 3rd Regent cruise (Caribbean on the Mariner and Baltic on the Voyager) and the 1st and 2nd for others in our party. We are really looking forward to this! I think we've talked before. I havne't noticed anyone else on the Mariner.

Jan

You are right. There is so much to do and we still have a few things to book, but the input on CC as been great. So far though we will fly into Anchorage two days before we sail and take the train to Seward. DW thinks we'll just be taking the bus and doesn't know we'll go by train instead. Sitka is one we decided to tour on our own but apt to change our minds given the opinions on the boards regarding some of the excursions. There appears to be a lot of good ones. We also have booked Tracy Arm and currently looking to book whale watching in Juneau later that day. Skagway will be a rental car and enjoying the day driving. Ketchikan will involve a fishing excursion for me and DW will be doing a tour of the totem poles and other things. We'll finish with a post cruise stay in Victoria for a couple of nights. We still have room to add things and I have been looking at CC daily since we put down a deposit.

Enjoy, we'll see who else joins us.

Looks like we may cross paths a couple times! In addition to Tracey Arm, four of us will also be renting a car in Skagway, the other 2 will take the Chilkoot rail/bus tour. I've booked whale watching in Juneau, and a boat tour also in Sitka. I'm worried about too much time on boats, but that is what the group wanted. In Ketchikan, we are taking a float plane trip. I'm done booking the excursions, but am now looking for ideas for what we want to do with a few hours here and there. CC has been great. I'm addicted and watch it daily! Enjoy your planning!

Hi - Hope I'm doing this right as this is my first posting. I too will be on this cruise, along w/ my parents. This will be my 7th Regent cruise. Did Alaska last year on the Mariner and fell in love with the awe inspiring beauty. Have done the Radisson Diamond twice (sure do miss the Diamond), Paul Gaugin once and Mariner three times. Can't say enough by Regent!! So we will also be taking the train to Seward. Have booked Tracy Arm, the Eagle Preserve Float and Adventure Cruise in Skagway, the Crab Feast in Ketchikan and Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest in Sitka. I highly recommend the Sea Otter Quest - did it last year and if you're an animal lover like me, you will really enjoy it! I also hope there are more posts for this cruise. Am so excited!! Time can't fly by fast enough, in this case.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cattravel10!

I'm an animal lover too and am really looking foward to seeing all the critters! It looks like we also will be crossing paths on the train to Seward and for the Tracy Arm crossing. I will have to talk to you about the Paul Gaugin. It sounds wonderful, and since, I haven't been able to get off of a Regent ship without booking another cruise, I've been thinking about that one. Happy planning!

Jan

We are also looking forward to the June 18 Alaska cruise. My husband will be onboard, and my sister in law is traveling with us. She is the "critter lover" in the group and is booked on the Otter excursion in Sitka. All three of us are booked on the Tracey Arm excursion.

Hi - Happy to see more postings and looking forward to meeting you all!! For anyone interested, I found a website (thru another forum) where you'll be able to see the Mariner in Vancouver. It's www.vancouver.com/webcam/index.html or for a different view, www.northvancouver.com/webcam...ecam/index.php. Second one also shows a calendar when all the ships arrive. Not tooooooo much longer! - Barb from Greer, Arizona

• 1 month later...

Wife and I will be joining y'all. First Alaska trip, first Regent cruise. We're doing Tracy Arm, Mendenhall/whale watching, RR & kayak in Skagway, crabs in Ketchikan, and a beach walk in Sitka, and looking forward to every bit of it - although it sounds like we won't want to get off the boat!

Welcome aboard! If you are like the rest of us we are counting down the days.

Two weeks...Wow.

I count more optimistically. Only 12 more until we leave for the airport. I only wish I had been able to allocate more time pre-cruise so that number would be less. Today I'm liking it to the 12 Days of Christmas. Tomorrow, well, I'll have to think of something suitable to reflect 11. Fortunately I'm busy enough, too busy if you ask me, so the days should fly by.

Cruise docs arrived yesterday, new binocs shipped this morning, good to go otherwise. Now it's just the long wait until it's time to pack. 12 more days of agony for a 7 night cruise. I hope it's worth it! :D

Although I don't want to plan a CC get together, it might be fun if we could recognize or contact each other onboard. If anyone wants to email me at shrunkshrink@yahoo.com, I'll gather the information and provide it by email for anyone in the group who requests it. Maybe you could send your board name, real name, suite number, and if you wish, some identifying characteristic so we can recognize you.

Hi all! My parents and I will also be on this cruise. This is our first trip to Alaska and our first ever cruise. We are very excited but also a little nervous about sea sickness and cruising in general. CC has been such a great help in our planning. :)

So far we will be taking the train to Seward, Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest in Sitka, and Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer. We are still trying to decide what to do in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to see the totem poles since my reading class reads a story titled "Carving the Pole" and I think having real life pics to share would be great.

Unfortunately, we were only able to secure one night in Vancouver so we will have to move quick in order to see all that we can in a day and a half.

See everyone in two weeks!

Hi Inh68.... Glad you are sailing with us. I've been on a few cruises and I think your family will love it. There isn't anything to be nervous about. I've never had a problem with being seasick, but my husband does sometimes. He takes Bonine and I'm going to bring some Crystalized Ginger, just in case.

We also will be on the Tracey Arm trip. I believe everyone who is on this roll call said they were taking that. In Juneau, we booked the Can Can for Whale watching. In Skagway, part of our group is renting a car to go to the Yukon, while the other part is taking the Chillkoot rail bus tour. In Ketchikan, we are taking a float plane to Misty Fjord. There are so many things to see and do in each port, it is difficult to pick. I made lists of more things than we can possibly do, so if we have a little extra time, we can try to squeeze in something else.

I'm a teacher and I share my pictures with my students wherever I travel. Nothing like the real thing! I've read about good bookstores on these boards and I plan on picking up a few books. I love native culture.

See you on the ship! We leave for Anchorage a week from tomorrow!

Inkh68, don't be overly concerned about getting seasick. You've already received good advice. We've cruised several times in different parts of the world and haven't been ill. If you'd like to share your information, read above and email me soon. Knowing a few folks onboard from CC makes the cruise more fun.

By the way, does Regent provide crystallized ginger? Some cruise lines do.

I didn't see any crystalized ginger on either the Voyager or the Mariner in the Baltic or the Carribean, but I didn't ask for it either. Didn't need it. I bought a package at Whole Foods to bring mostly because we are taking several small boat tours and a floatplane.

I highly recommend the White pass train excursion in Skagway. In Juneau, I suggest whale watching and the Mendenhall glacier. These are often offered in the same tour. Also a stop at the Red Dog Saloon will make for good memories.

There was a bowl of candied ginger on both Mariner and Voyager at the front entrance to Compass Rose. Frequently available sitting out on bars, always available from restaurant waiters or from room service. It may help with motion sickness but we found that we could not tolerate it, gave us terrible heartburn.

Debbie

First of all Inkh68, Welcome aboard! I hope all the planning is going well. The countdown is on for everyone going next week.

I have cruised with other lines and have always found the boards at Cruise Critic a wealth of knowledge. As a side note I see more and more teachers who will be aboard.....OH NO!!!! seriously my DW is a teacher and can't wait for this week to end with her students and get away to Alaska. As you can imagine all the last minute testing and conferences. All that to say, enjoy the week prior to departure and we'll look forward to hopefully seeing you onboard.

Til Then

Archived