First Cruise ?'s....imagine

spylman

Hi all, and before i even start with some questions let me tell you that you are all the greatest with all of your info and such.....

I have never cruised before, i did go through a TA, i am boarding in port canaveral on carnival sensation in February.....i plan to go down the day b4 and book a hotel now the TA stated something about a shuttle to go from airport to hotel to ship and such, is it obvious i mean will i know what i am looking for (shuttle) when i get there and does it work the same when it's time to go back to airport.

I have never flown b4 and kinda thinking about the whole packing game, are we only allowed 1 suitcase to check and then 1 carry-on per person or how does all that work. when do you usually get information from the cruise line regarding your cruise and cabin and such....i booked OCV guaranteed, so does that mean i won't know my deck until i board???? Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated and thanks all for your time!!!! I'm nervous & excited all at once!!!!

Welcome to Crusing!!!

Not sure how Carnival works it, but I've heard that on a guarantee you may know prior to sailing or you may not know until you reach the ship. If Carnival has a place to check your reservation, that would be the place to start after the final payment date.

I have never sailed from your port, so I don't know what's around there. Check on mapquest and see where the cruise terminal is and then start working on your hotel. You're really lucky that you have a lot of time to research.

If you book a ways away from the dock, you'll save money. So far, we've chosen to cruise from ports that are close to the cruise terminal. Just make sure they offer a free shuttle from airport to hotel and then the next day hotel to cruise port. Make that reservation with them as soon as you check in. Also check to see if there is a hotel near where your ship will dock. In some instances it's worth paying extra for the room to be able to see your ship at dock - that's a personal preference. Just refrain from yelling at the ship for the people in your cabin to get off the ship. My hotel neighbors do not appreciate when I do this at 4:30am.:eek: There are lots of sites out there to check reviews on hotels.

Depending on your personal style, you can cruise without a minute to yourself or go with being someone who wants to sit in a comfortable place and read a book. And, everything in between.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. Go with an open mind and a sense of adventure and you will have a great time.

1st, you need a copy of the cruise brochure--the cruiseline will send you one--just e-mail them and ask. That will contain all the info you need to have a great cruise!

Depending on your port, taxis are usually faster and as affordable as a shuttle--there are plenty at the airport! As far as luggage limits, it depends on the airline--call and ask them what you can bring!

If you book a gty.--then you may not know where your cabin is until you board, but usually they will assign you one in advance.

Cruising is great--but it's not rocket science! It's a vacation! Don't worry too much about the details! You'll have a great time!

This is our first cruise, my husband and I, and we will be sailin out of Port Canaveral on Sensation, 4/10/08. We already know our cabin, I saw it on Carnival Website. Have you completed your FunPass on line? Go to carnival website and on the bottom of page you will see funpass, click on it and begin giving all the information they will ask once you board, it will save you time. We will be flying in to Orlando airport 2-days before (our anniversary-25th) and gettn (paying for) shuttle to Port Canavaral to our Hotel. We will stay there until sailing on the 10th. $99/nite. Hotel do have a (free) shuttle that will take us to Port when we are ready. We are right at Port, can see the Ships come and go. There are plenty places to eat, and beaches nearby. Hotel has a lot to offer to do, swimming, tennis, etc. We're staying at Raddisson Resort at the Port. We're near Kennedy Space Center, CoCoa Beach, Cape Canaveral, Wet & wild all within 45miles of hotel. You do have to reserve Shuttle the Day you arrive at hotel to take you to Port for Sailing. go into your computers search engine and search Port Canaveral Florida and go from there. I have learned so much from reading the boards that I feel almost like I cruised before. It has helped me a lot.

Thanks everyone for helping anyone who asks questions.

Spylman, go to the North American Departures section of the board, and East coast Departures, then Florida departures. What airport are you flying into? Orlando is the usual one, but it's at least an hour away from the port, so I don't know whether the hotel would have a shuttle. EM

You are allowed to check more than one bag, you'll just have to pay to take the 2nd bag. and the weight limit on the bags is 50 lbs.

check with your airline for specific $.

Enjoy! I find that the anticipation and planning is almost as much fun as the vacations.

The Orlando airport is about 45 minutes west of Port Canaveral. There are many hotels at different price points close to the port. Some of the hotels (like the Radisson) have a shuttle that will take you from the hotel to the port, and pick you up at the end if you are going back to stay at their hotel.

Other hotels to look at are Country Inns & Suites, Residence Inn, plus there are many more hotels on the beach. Talk to your travel agent for assistance in finding a hotel. If you're staying for a day or more you may want to stay on the beach.

You can book a shuttle from the airport to hotel; then from the port back to the airport. There are services such as Arts Shuttle and Cocoa Beach shuttle that will charge you anywhere from about $30 to $50 per person (depending on if you are part of a group or want a private shuttle). Taxis are not an option as they are very expensive from the airport to Port Canaveral.

Read all of the info on the Carnival website. Check out the Frequently Asked Questions there, and also at the website of your airlines. That's where you will get detailed information on luggage, what to pack, when to check in, etc., etc.

Hope you enjoy your first cruise!!!

Let me just add that you can take more clothes if you use space bags - the kind that roll up to push the air out of them. However, it means your bags could be heavier and therefore cost you an extra amount on the plane. Whatever you bring along - make sure your bags and even carry on are ON WHEELS. You will be glad they are. Get a cheap waterproof watch with an alarm on it. That way you will know how much time you have to get back to the ship if you are sightseeing. Allow plenty of time in the airport before your plane takes off. I've heard that the security lines in any airport are longer than they used to be. Another thing to keep in mind is that once you get on the ship, there will be buffet. If you have to sign for anything, it means you're buyiing it. We were all excited on our first cruise and bought drinks with souvenir glasses. It was a special occasion, so we did it. Keep track of your purchases. Most of all, have fun.

Archived