International Market Place

maryjoe

Can anybody please tell me which days are best to shop at the international market place in Oahu? Also, which is a better place to shop for souvenirs and coffee, International Market Place or the flea market? How far from the port would they be?

We always go to the International Marketplace (The Bus will get you there) to see what's there and check prices, then we go out to the Aloha Stadium - Sat, Sun & Wed 7am - 3pm - (out by Pearl Harbor - we always had a car so am not sure how long other types of transportation will take or their schedules) and buy everything for a [b]much[/b] lower price!;)
The market is supposed to be closing soon for renovations. We were there in mid-June and were surprised that there was no mention made of this nor was there any kind of "artist's rendering" posted, that we could see, of what it will look like.
Enjoy your trip!!
KTE

[quote name='KTE']We always go to the International Marketplace (The Bus will get you there) to see what's there and check prices, then we go out to the Aloha Stadium - Sat, Sun & Wed 7am - 3pm - (out by Pearl Harbor - we always had a car so am not sure how long other types of transportation will take or their schedules) and buy everything for a [b]much[/b] lower price!;)
The market is supposed to be closing soon for renovations. We were there in mid-June and were surprised that there was no mention made of this nor was there any kind of "artist's rendering" posted, that we could see, of what it will look like.
Enjoy your trip!!
KTE[/QUOTE]How far from the port is the International Market Place and can the bus get us there from the port. We'll be boarding on the NCL Wind pretty early and it leaves at 8:00pm, so I figure we could board, and then get off to go there and back with plenty of time.

I also think that it's supposed to be in 2005. The IMP is in the middle of Waikiki - any Waikiki headed bus should be able to take you pretty close. I'm not sure if I would spend the time between boarding and departure for this though - I mean, it's a kitschy place to buy souvenirs and has a decent food court but honestly, I don't think it's worth the trouble to go from the port all the way to Waikiki just for that. Might be different if you were on Oahu for a while and needed to stock up on gifts but otherwise, it's more or less skippable.

Spleen

[quote name='spleen93']I also think that it's supposed to be in 2005. The IMP is in the middle of Waikiki - any Waikiki headed bus should be able to take you pretty close. I'm not sure if I would spend the time between boarding and departure for this though - I mean, it's a kitschy place to buy souvenirs and has a decent food court but honestly, I don't think it's worth the trouble to go from the port all the way to Waikiki just for that. Might be different if you were on Oahu for a while and needed to stock up on gifts but otherwise, it's more or less skippable.

Spleen[/QUOTE]Thank you spleen, but I read a thread in the cc, {which I just can't find anymore} which I think said that if you could be there on Saturdays, you pay a portion of the price. I figured I would have plenty of time since the NCL Wind leaves at 8:00pm.

[quote name='maryjoe']Can anybody please tell me which days are best to shop at the international market place in Oahu? Also, which is a better place to shop for souvenirs and coffee, International Market Place or the flea market? How far from the port would they be?[/QUOTE]I don't think the International Marketplace is worth a special trip either. It's basically a flea market and much of it was dark, cramped and kind of creepy when I was there a couple of years ago. There ARE lots of cheap souvenir things there, nearly every stall or shop has the same stuff though (much of it made in China or Taiwan!).

• 2 weeks later...
International Market Place is open daily (and nightly, too for that matter). They probably won't be torn down till at least next summer and maybe later than that (We've been here before although I think this time it's for real).

You'll usually find a better and better-priced selection of almost everything at the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet (weekends, Wednesdays, and holidays, I think). Get there early (it can get pretty hot out in that parking lot by 11) and/or combine with a trip to Pearl Harbor (right across the street).

Archived