Tahiti / Bora Bora questions

TimATL

I'm taking a cruise on the PG. I'm just curious, does the boat tender in Bora Bora, or does it dock? How does one get from the pier to Bloody Mary's for dinner? I read that the restaurant provides free transportation. Does this mean they will pick you up and drop you off at the pier?

On Bora Bora, how easy is it to take Le Truck from the pier to the Intercontinental Le Moana at Matira?

On Tahiti, how easy is it to take Le Truck from the Intercontinental to Point Venus or to the Museum of Tahiti and Her Islands?

Thanks!

Both the TP and PG tender in Bora Bora - they do not dock.

Bloody Mary's does have a shuttle van to/from the dock for dinner but I believe you need to make arrangements beforehand.

There is a flat $5 USD charge per person each way to/from the tender dock - Bloody Marys - Matira. Taxis shuttle all day to/from Matira and back at the flat $5 rate.

Forget Le Truck on Bora Bora. Runs infrequently and is totally unreliable. Also, if you are planning on dinner on BB (Villa Mahana was excellent) you must make arrangements in advance with the restaurant for transportation. Taxis are nonexistent at night on the tender dock.

Bloody Mary's does have a shuttle van to/from the dock for dinner but I believe you need to make arrangements beforehand.

There is a flat $5 USD charge per person each way to/from the tender dock - Bloody Marys - Matira. Taxis shuttle all day to/from Matira and back at the flat $5 rate.

Forget Le Truck on Bora Bora. Runs infrequently and is totally unreliable. Also, if you are planning on dinner on BB (Villa Mahana was excellent) you must make arrangements in advance with the restaurant for transportation. Taxis are nonexistent at night on the tender dock.

As for Papeete's Le Truck, do a search and you will find first hand reports.

You will get differing opinions on the food. We went during our PG cruise in 9/05. There was a complimentary tender from the ship at that time for dinner (we had an overnight in Bora Bora). They took us directly to the Bloody Mary dock and you just walk across the street to the restaurant. We went with a group of 5 people, and we had a wonderful time. We enjoyed the atmosphere (sand floor, etc.). There was no menu--you walked up to the big table of ice with the fresh catch displayed on it, chose what you wanted and they prepared it, mostly grilled. It was fine but we didn't really go for five-star food. We had a fantastic time and it remains a very fun memory.

Thanks for the warning about Le Truck on Bora Bora. I will have to rent a car or scooter now. Does anyone know at which pier the Paul Gauguin tenders in Bora Bora, Viatape or Fare Piti?

My husband and I have been to Tahiti 3 times, but never on a cruise. We love Bora Bora and have eaten at Bloody Mary's every visit! Bring your camera, it is a great spot at the front to take a few photos under the wooden sign and to see handpainted signs of all the names of famous people who have eaten at the restaurant.

It is a relaxed atmosphere and we like to make sure we have enough time before our dinner to have a drink at the bar. We always let them know that when we arrange the restaurant's pick-up. (They usually arrange the van pick-up by time of reservation) The floor is sand, (wear flip flops and skip the high heels, or be prepared to slip them off). The tables are wooden and the seats made of varnished logs. Once you are seated they bring you up by the front table to view your dinner choices. Usually one meat, one chicken and several fish dishes all displayed on ice. It makes quite a presentation! You pick your dinner order from salad to dessert. It may not be a 5 star meal, but you are going to get some very wonderful and fresh grilled fish and lobster or at the least a good steak.

Nothing in Tahiti except Le Truck in Papeete is inexpensive so be prepared when dining on the islands.

We have never had a bad meal at Bloody Mary's and the experience is more than worth it.

Make sure you make a visit to the bathroom as they are quite unique!

We have just come back from a Southern Caribbean cruise and still think the snorkeling in Tahiti is some of the best in the world.

Is the food at Bloody Marys good?

I thought that the food was OK - the atmosphere was great. I would definately go to Villa Mahana if I had the choice. The food there was fantastic. Definately book in advance though with whatever you decide to do.

Villa Mahana--ate there about a week ago--WONDERFUL !!!!!

Nancy:D

Archived